Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I have a like-new Apple Airport Extreme 5th generation router (80211N) for sale. I have used this device primarily as a wireless network extender. I have a second Apple Airport Express (80211N) which is about a year old, also used for the same purpose. Will sell the two devices together for $100 plus $10 shipping, I only replaced them because I upgraded to 80211AC networking in the house.

The routers are fast and really excellent devices for a home network. Controlled on a mac or iOS device or Windows PC via Airport Utility.

PM with questions or interest. Thank you.

whats the difference in the two? and do you need both devices? i understand from my cable company (bright house) that i can bridge their equipment to use the router. not sure about both pieces. thanks.

For many homes the Airport Extreme would easily be enough to cover the whole house. I put that exact model in my parents house and it has at least as much range as most other routers on the market.

We also have that exact same Airport Express used as the router in our cabin. I was originally using it to set up airplay speakers in my house but it wasn't getting much use so when we got internet up there I used it as the router instead of buying a new one.

Both devices are routers. I believe the Express has a limit of 10 connected devices and lower range. The Extreme doesn't have that device limit and longer range. Like I said before, the you can also plug speakers into the Express and use Airplay to wirelessly play audio from your other Apple devices.

People like Rocky often use the Extreme as their main router and then get an Express, or multiple Expresses, to fix WiFi dead zones in bigger homes. The Express can either repeat a WiFi signal it receives from the Extreme or be hard wired to the Extreme to extend your WiFi range.

Edit: I did some more reading and it looks like the 10 device limit is only for the older model of Airport Express. The current model supports up to 50 devices.This is good to know because I assumed we would eventually have to replace the Express in our cabin with a different router so more devices could connect.

While at the in-Laws over Christmas all of the Grandchildren were griping about slow WiFi. We just figured it was the dozen or so PCs, Macs, and phones all trying to access the Internet at the same time. Later on, I found that the ISP's router (Frontier) is acting flakey on the WiFi. I was seeing Ping times of up to 20 seconds to wireless devices.

So, Rocky, I may have a new home for your APExtreme. That's the tower format, right?

For many homes the Airport Extreme would easily be enough to cover the whole house. I put that exact model in my parents house and it has at least as much range as most other routers on the market.

We also have that exact same Airport Express used as the router in our cabin. I was originally using it to set up airplay speakers in my house but it wasn't getting much use so when we got internet up there I used it as the router instead of buying a new one.

Both devices are routers. I believe the Express has a limit of 10 connected devices and lower range. The Extreme doesn't have that device limit and longer range. Like I said before, the you can also plug speakers into the Express and use Airplay to wirelessly play audio from your other Apple devices.

People like Rocky often use the Extreme as their main router and then get an Express, or multiple Expresses, to fix WiFi dead zones in bigger homes. The Express can either repeat a WiFi signal it receives from the Extreme or be hard wired to the Extreme to extend your WiFi range.

Edit: I did some more reading and it looks like the 10 device limit is only for the older model of Airport Express. The current model supports up to 50 devices.This is good to know because I assumed we would eventually have to replace the Express in our cabin with a different router so more devices could connect.

thanks for explaining.

While at the in-Laws over Christmas all of the Grandchildren were griping about slow WiFi. We just figured it was the dozen or so PCs, Macs, and phones all trying to access the Internet at the same time. Later on, I found that the ISP's router (Frontier) is acting flakey on the WiFi. I was seeing Ping times of up to 20 seconds to wireless devices.

So, Rocky, I may have a new home for your APExtreme. That's the tower format, right?

It is the pancake style 80211b/n router, the last version they made of it before they switched to the tower.

Somehow I never saw any of these posts yesterday. For the record this is a great router, I just have some newer AC capable devices, and wanted to improve my overall connectivity. I have used the extreme as a main floor wireless network extender (there is another extreme in the basement which is the actual router, but it doesn't get much wifi usage. The express was for the second floor. It blanketed the front half of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)