archos av700 vs av700e?

ido

Nov 2, 2005
I got an av700 (100 gb) for x-mas, and I've got a 942 receiver. Does anyone know if I can transfer movies that I've saved on the 942 to the av700? When I connect the device to the 942 via usb it says device not supported. I suppose that's where the 700e comes in, but is there a way to transfer movies?

Thanks in advance; this is a big sticking point for me. As it is, I'm having trouble recording live tv.

Anyone wanting to adopt a newbie, please step forward!!

rktman1

Nov 18, 2005
You can record using the av700

I also have the "regular" Archos 700 recorder and record from the 942 all of the time. The only difference from the "e" to my knowledge is that you can only record in real time and you have to use the red white and yellow cords (not a techie here either) instead of the USB cable. In fact, I like it better because even though the USB is faster, I believe the 700e records the whole program whether you want it or not. Using the wires you can record a program on the 942 and then later record just those clips or sections that you want to keep onto the 700. It even records the High Def channels although the quality is a bit muddy on those.:up

ido

Nov 2, 2005
I think I must have just one connection off, or something, then? I've got the red, white and yellow cable connection between the docking pod, tv and receiver (and my tv does work with this connection) but I can't seem to record. Would you mind telling me how you do it?

Thanks for your time!

jbcheshire

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2005
West of the Mississippi
The first thing is that you should see the same thing on the Archos screen that you have on your TV screen. If so, then you should be able to record without any problems...

The docking pod has an "in" port and an "out" port. The "in" port has the RCA cables and/or S-video cable from the 942 plugged in. The "out" port has the RCA cables TO your TV set... The "recorder" tab/section on the Archos is where you will see the output from the 942 in real time.

Hope this helps.

ido

Nov 2, 2005
When I get home I'm going to doublecheck my connections. Then I'll probably be back on this forum!!!

ido

Nov 2, 2005
Okay, this is what I've got, and I don't know what it means!

942 receiver tv1 to tv's "component in"
942 receiver tv2 av to docking pod's "av out"
docking pod "av in" to tv's "av out"

Is that right, wrong or just laughable????

ido

Nov 2, 2005
Oh, and if that's wrong, and I switch out the in and out cords coming from the docking pod, how do I view the archos on the tv screen? when I long press the tv/lcd button, nothing changes on the tv screen.

thanks again, ya'll, for all of the help!

rktman1

Nov 18, 2005
Using the Docking Pod

OK, I'm not sure what your set up is exactly but I'll try to explain what I do. The AV cords are aligned in the back of the 942 in the "Home Distribution" area with the yellow cord on top (Video), white cord beneath that (Left) and red cord on the bottom (Right). The other side of the A/V cord merges into one thick cord and is plugged into the RV/In slot on the back of the TV Docking Pod. The power supply cord is plugged into the DC/In slot. Then you place the other cord protruding from the Docking pod over the right side of the recorder. Line up the two connectors over the slots (going from left to right) labeled AV and DC/In. Then you turn on the recorder and press the video recorder button. You should see whatever is playing on Dish on the 700's screen. Try a sample recording. You then transfer the video to your computer via the USB 2 cord and name it (Don't forget the extension .avi) Then you can copy it to your computer. BTW, you can also use the same process for recording from DVD players (I've found). I don't know if I left anything out but I only scanned the manual and mostly experimented with it. I like to record videos from VH1 Classic and have transferred a couple hundred so far. But with 100 gigs you can hold alot of audio and video. Hope this helps.

ido

Nov 2, 2005
Ok, almost there, I think!
Only thing, I didn't see where you've got your av out from the docking pod running to .

I tried selecting videocorder (I'm watching F/X right now). First, the screen shows "detecting video" and I can hear audio (it's TNT!?)
Then the screen shows "no input signal" but I can still hear TNT audio through the speakers!

Why am I getting the "no input signal" and why audio from a different channel?

I know, I'm a problem child, but I'll love you forever if you get this working for me!!!!

ido

Nov 2, 2005
Ok, switched a cord so av out from pod is going to av in on tv. got audio and video on archos!!! yea!!!

Only problem is, it's only showing TNT, no matter what channel I go to on the tv! How do I fix that? Oh, god, sooooo close to 100gb heaven!!!!!!!!

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
ido said:
Okay, this is what I've got, and I don't know what it means!

942 receiver tv1 to tv's "component in"
942 receiver tv2 av to docking pod's "av out"
docking pod "av in" to tv's "av out"

Is that right, wrong or just laughable????
"IN" and "OUT" are always relative to the device the label is on.

If you want to be recording what you see on the TV, the TV's "OUT" needs to go to the docking pod's "IN".

You do NOT need the connection from the 942 to the dicking pod, but you probably DO want the docking "OUT" to another "IN" on the TV.

ido

Nov 2, 2005
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok, it was only showing TNT because the pod is connected to tv2, which had TNT on!!!

So now I can watch and record using tv2.

Sigh. Apparently I'm never satisfied; is there any way to connect the archos/docking pod to tv1? After all, tv1 is the tv physically connected to the 942 and the docking pod.

ido

Nov 2, 2005
thanks for the reply, pepper, but there would be anarchy in the house if I tried that one!
Is there another way to do it?

downriver

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 16, 2005
Horse Creek, CA
Is there a way that one of those pocket dish devices can be used to record DVR events from my 942 and then carried to another home and connected either directly to a TV or an A/V receiver? If so, which Pocketdish device? :confused:

jbcheshire

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2005
West of the Mississippi
You should be able to connect the PD to the 942 via the SVHS cable and video cables and just treat it like a vcr. Choose the program you want to record and set up the recording parameters on your PD. It's pretty simple to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts