Are Denver Distant Nets Going away- making room for HD?

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
I went into the Public Retailer area.

http://rweb.echostar.com (click on Public to get in)

There they have the FEB 1st new pricing hand out.

It no longer lists Denver as a Distant Net option.

Is this becuase they are making room on the Conus Transponders for more HD channel?

Or is it a typo? Its on the bottom of page 2.

Did Dallas also be on this list also? Its gone now too.
More HD room?
Anyone heard anything?

I hear you can get Two HD channels on one Transponder is this true? 4 Denvers + 4 Dallas=8 should mean room for at least 3 HD channel? Does that sound right?

DISTANT NETWORKS (IF QUALIFIED)
ABC · CBS · NBC · FOX · PBS $5.99/MO.
ATLANTA · CHICAGO · LOS ANGELES · NEW YORK

http://rweb.echostar.com/forms/brochures/progsheet.pdf

It would make more sense to lose Chicago or Atlanta as the PT schedule is the same as New York. Only need LA, NY and DEN to cover the three major time zones.

mikew said:
It would make more sense to lose Chicago or Atlanta as the PT schedule is the same as New York. Only need LA, NY and DEN to cover the three major time zones.

Mountain is anything but a "major" time zone (and I say that living in Denver). Only about 3% of the US population lives in the mountain zone. You only need NY and LA to cover about 96% of the population in their correct timezones. Keeping NY, Chicago, and LA makes the most sense because they are the three biggest markets. Denver is around 20th.

Dennis

dbronstein said:
Mountain is anything but a "major" time zone (and I say that living in Denver). Only about 3% of the US population lives in the mountain zone. You only need NY and LA to cover about 96% of the population in their correct timezones. Keeping NY, Chicago, and LA makes the most sense because they are the three biggest markets. Denver is around 20th.

Dennis

That is true! The part of the US between Kansas City & Sacramento is quite sparse in people :)
See my post above. The NAB places Denver at #18. I agree that what is really needed is just LA & NY for distant locals. Subs can always add the Superstation pak to add UPN & WB

Yes this appears to be true, I just woke up because I felt like working on the site and got an email from one of my contacts that Denver would be going away as a distant net selection.

Nothing though if the freed up space would be used for HDTV.

Tahoerob said:
Well, NY, LA, & CHI are DMA # 1,2,3 respectively. Thus, makes sense to have them as distant locals.
Dallas is #7 but Atlanta is #9
Denver is down at #18
source: http://www.nab.org/newsroom/issues/digitaltv/dtvstations.asp
Is does make a little more sense to have Denver(MST) intead of Atlanta(EST) to have all 4 time zones covered.

The markets are regional NY-Northeast, Atlanta - Southeast, Chicago-Midwest and LA for Westcoast.
The majority of the Southeast has no interest in the NY region...

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes this appears to be true, I just woke up because I felt like working on the site and got an email from one of my contacts that Denver would be going away as a distant net selection.

Nothing though if the freed up space would be used for HDTV.

Does anybody know what will happen to those (like me) who have Denver as a distants option? If they move Denver to spotbeam, I'll be outside of it.

If, in fact they do drop Denver as a distant, I suppose the worst case scenario would be having to select a different distant local. I believe Dallas has been off the distant local list for quite awhile, but is still on the conus feed. So, going by E*s track record with Dallas, you shouldn't have to worry for awhile.

Dallas is still available as a distant local pack as of this week. I noticed it added back into the list of cities as the number one city . I took it for two days and went back to the New York distants instead. My wife hated the delay on her soap . They are one day behind on All My Children. The funny thing is that the Dallas distants were not on the list for the last year and a half and now they are back. Weird

dbronstein said:
Mountain is anything but a "major" time zone (and I say that living in Denver). Only about 3% of the US population lives in the mountain zone.
Dennis

I show Mountain Time to be 6.1% of US population* (but around 4.3% when Arizona is on Pacific Time or technically MST and the rest of the time zone is on MDT).

* 17 million of 279.5 million in 2001 per USDA pamphlet. AZ is 5 million. Any better sources out there?

Shucks, I have Denver FOX and NBC. The FOX affiliates sometimes showed different football games and the NBC was a cool way to watch some other shows that were on another time when I was watching something else. Well, at least I'll get that $3 a month AEP increase reduced by $3 when the two a la carte channels go away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)