Are HD locals on a different Satellite?

Petch DE

Active SatelliteGuys Member
May 19, 2012
USA
Quick question...

I have "Moved" and i get the DC locals (my old hometown) and i have a hopper but for some reason my locals are coming up in SD?

I have gone through every setting and all my other channels are in HD but the locals are in SD, So are the HD version on a different Satellite?

Any help on this?

Usually the HD locals are on a different satellite that the SD locals.

In some markets the HD locals are on the Eastern Arc and the SD locals are still on the Western Arc.

Tell us what satellites you are pointed at now. Is it all of the Western Arc - 119/110/129?

Assuming you are close enough to where the Washington signal is beamed, then you do need to get 61.5 to get HD. Need both 61.5 AND 72 satellite and that will get you everything. There are other configurations but you haven't really given any information on what type of equipment you now have. Some receivers can not use the 61.5 or 72. Your present dish may not be able to get them. But the bottom line - to get the Washington locals, you have to be sure you are in the coverage area of the beam, and must have 61.5. To get all other programming you need 72.

EDIT - I see you have the Hawpa - no problem getting any satellites with that receiver.

I'm covered by the beam, I have a hopper and 2 joeys....And i have a black dish (Not sure if that makes a difference)

If you're on WA sats... 110,119,129, you'll need more than a repoint... Eastern arc is different spacing and will require a different LNB on the end of your dish. You'll need a tech and some hardware.

Last edited:
The dish has to physically be facing where the satellites are. That also means nothing can be blocking the view like trees or buildings etc...... The ones you want are in a different direction. You also are going to have to figure out how to get Dish to do this, because they will need your actual address which will not apparently be your address they now have. A tech will need to make some changes also. There is going to be a cost for this I assume.

Petch DE said:
Okay cool, Will the service call cover that? or will i have to pay through the butt?

The protection plan will cover the basic visit fee of $95 (waived down to $15) but depending on how the appointment is built there may be an additional $50 for custom labor (basically anything not involving "repair video" or upgrade/new install).

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

Just in case this hasn't been made clear yet, you'll need to "move" back to your physical address before setting up a technician call, as he will end up going to the wrong address. Then after the service call is complete, you can move back to the DC DMA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts