Are there any reasons left to stay with Dish ?

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
Well I see "D" has just added Fox HD East & West. That means they have all the national networks in HD now except ABC and there're strong rumors that it's not too far around the corner. Dish has not only done nothing, they're not even talking about doing anything. In fact all they've said is no new HD until they go MEPG4, which by the way will make most of our receivers obsolete. So are we all in aggreement that "D" seems to have offically surpassed "D" for HD ?

Equipment ? I'm no expert but is there ANY Dish receiver that out shines anything "D" provides ? The Name Based Recording Dish promised appears to have been officially scraped. How long have the 811 & 921 been out and neither, as yet, work the way they were promised to. So are there any arguments that "E" has better, more reliable equipment than "D" ?

More analog locals ? That used to be one area where Dish had the edge for me (Vermont) but now "D" has them too. In fact, I'm not sure there are that many areas left that Dish provides them and "D" doesn't. So does "E" still have the edge here ?

I've been with Dish for almost 10 years and always had their top tier programming and latest receivers but I'm seeing the writting on the wall here and it isn't pretty.

I wish there was a way we (as a collective group) could force / convince Dish to make some positive changes here because I really DO NOT want to switch. So someone please convince me where I'm going wrong. I think the last straw for me is that Dish outright lied about being ready to launch the distant network HD channels as soon as the new legislation was passed. I was even personally lied to by Dish's Goverment Relations office in Washington when they were trying to drum up support for this bill last Summer.

If Charlie has an Ace up his sleeve I would suggest that he needs to play it very soon. I invested a lot of money in Dish last Jan to be able to watch the Superbowl in HD and I fully intend to watch it in HD again this year - even if it means I have to switch to "D" to do it.
WaltinVt

I've found that the grass is always greener over there. What I mean by that is that everytime that I've said, look what the competition has and switch, the original company rolls out their additional product.

Sure there isn't much charge to "switch", unless you still have remaining time on your account and would be charged the cancelation fee for ending service before the annual contract is up. Both providers do this, so unless you pay full retail for your receivers, you get charged.

I'm confident that there are a number of changes going on in the background that will allow E* to provide more HDTV capabilities in the long run. I believe that what has happened is that to much information got out to early and then changes occured, so it looks like no ones at the wheel at the moment. This is because we have all these really smart (and I'm not being sarcastic, so please don't take it that way) individuals that do a very good job of speculating based on the possible leaked information, or poorly explained information from one of the chats (if Charlie doesn't have a clear and "commited" explaination, he shouldn't talk about that possible technology until it's ready to be released).

I guess it really comes down to if you need "x" channel right now, if the answers yes, then switch. Just don't get steamed if the channels are available right afterwards from your original supplier.

waltinvt\ said:
That means they have all the national networks in HD now except ABC and there're strong rumors that it's not too far around the corner.

It looks REALLY good, since my D* bill now lists me as having ABC-HD @ .00 charge. (like it does for the other 3 nets)

DishSatUser said:
I'm confident that there are a number of changes going on in the background that will allow E* to provide more HDTV capabilities in the long run.
The question then becomes, how long is "the long run"? Are we talking 3 months? 6 months? A year? How long do we have to wait and how much is it going to cost us is the real question. Yes I'm sure that Dish has things going on in the background. But the background does not do anything for us today and likely doesn't do anything for tomorrow or the day after that.

Even if they had something to ready to deploy in all their warehouses right now, would you want it? Just look at their current HD receivers. It's been over a year for the 811 and 921 and both are full of bugs still. What makes you think that they could rapidly deploy MPEG4 smoothly?

Whatever Dish does they have 1 chance to get it out fast and correct. If they dillydally too long, they will be left behind and will forever be playing catch up. If they get it out in a hurry and it's bug-laden, well, see discussions on [811|921|NBR].

Well I sure that Dish will probally add it sometime along with ESPN2 HD when it comes out next month. No matter who you are with Dish or Direct they all half to do the something as far as adding more HD and upgrade their users equipment. So point being you can go Direct and then you will be saying later that you wished you stayed with Dish. Right now from what I can tell Dish is being more aggressive about the future by sending up all of these new birds. To where Direct is a little slower about things even though later in the summer they too will be launching some new wings. But overall in the long run its going to look like that Dish will have a lead over them on things to come about in the future. But do what fits your needs the best but for me right not Im not going to play music chairs going back and forth between services.

mwgiii said:
Voom just announced that they are canceling the spin-off to pursue "strategic alternatives" ie sale.

I would wait to see what happens to all the Voom programming before I switched.

source:http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=39612&page=1&pp=15

An E* buyout or partnership is looking more and more likely. E* certainly has the cash. Would Charlie make a deal with the devil (Comcast) to one-up Rupert? Absolutely :D

NightRyder

Walt, while D* may have the lead in HD programming at the moment as mentioned E* could pull a rabbit out of their hat and add more then D* (but not if you believe what Charlies currently saying). As someone that's had E* and their 811 I think you'd be happy with the reliability/quality of the D* receiver. Yes, it will cost you more then what E* charges but IMHO I think it's worth it. I also have the HR10-250 and have not once needed to reboot/reset the box (since 5/2004). That's been my biggest complaint with E*, their high end hardware is loaded with bugs, especially the first year or so of being in customers hands. So I say if D* has the programming you want make the switch, you'll be happy.

I have had Dish for over 9 years and ever other year it seems Dish shots its self in the foot on something.

The guy next door to me has D* and from what I see and am told he has less trouble with the D* equipment and certainly has more HD content.

That said - let's see if Charlie actually reacts to the real unhappiness of HD subs caused by; the 811 & 921 bugs, the delays in new boxes, no NBR, MPEG4 questions and "no new HD until end of 2005 of start of 2006". IMO Charlie should make some announcement by the end of this month or Dish will look like a lost cause. With the increasing sales of HD sets how can E* hope to stay in the game by saying and/or doing nothing.

Move this to Dish User's Group ?

Scott,
Maybe this thread should be moved to the Dish User's Group where it might be seen by Dish Network.

Personally I see the potential for a mass exodus from Dish right now unless they do something soon. I hate to see it and have been with them for almost 10 years but enough is enough. When you clear away all the retoric, what's left are the facts:

Dish made all the noise about getting the HD distants "immediately" if the bill was passed. Now they're talking possibly years. With the exception of ABC HD, Direct TV has actually done it.

Dish made a lot of empty promises about their receivers: fire-wire, namebased recording, specific fixes that were supposed to be out months ago but are still plagueing many customers.

Last year Dish promised more HD for '04. What have we got ?

Now Dish has openly stated: No more HD until MEPG4 but MEPG4 will make your current receivers obsolete (and they still want you to pay $450 for the privledge of using their soon-to-be-bookend 921).

Personally, I no longer watch Charlie chats - there's no longer any credability there and I'm tired of having my intelligence insulted.

There's got to be a better option for my $125 every month.

WaltinVt

Grandpa J said:
IMO Charlie should make some announcement by the end of this month or Dish will look like a lost cause.

With the current state of affairs...even if he MADE such an announcement...who would believe it?!?

Was wondering this myself . . .

I became a E* customer in December 1997.

I'm being transferred in two weeks, and I've been told that after 3 - 6 months I'm going to be transferred again. So I've been wondering whether I want to go through the Dishmover experience, already done it once -- not impressed, the install wasn't completed and I've had to go up and change the dish mountings because the thing was moving and losing the satellite. I still use my Dishplayer 7200 (with upgraded hard drive) and I'm told that it probably won't work with a new Dishmover install due to hardware changes, etc.

So I'm evaluating the options, and frankly I don't see where I get all that much over (gasp) cable, even in terms of price and product. I've been down the road with the buggy 7200 and don't even want to try to figure out all the quirks with other DVR equipment that E* has. I can also bundle in internet access with the cable company. I'm not trying to shill for cable, but can't come up with a "compelling" a reason to stick with Dish, especially since I'm moving to the city and can get HD OTA.

E* customer for 7 years:
That said they have about 2 month in my book to make some change or they will lose me as a customer. On the other hand the stock has gone up. I want my HDTV NOW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts