ARGH!!! I can't get Dish at the new house!

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
Wow. I'm still in shock. My wife and I just moved into our new house Friday and, of course, I had Dish set for mover install 8am the next day, sharp.

I don't know why it never clicked, looking at the trees in the neighboring property, that line-of-sight might be an issue--but it is, BIG time. The installer spent time going over the grounds and went up on our three-level flat roof and just kept shaking his head. No way to get signal from Dish's HD bird. :eek: Might have pointing options to the SE, but not the SW. I'm in Skokie, a near northern suburb of Chicago (about 15mi out from the city).

So, I'm extremely bummed. Despite the roller coaster of late w/ new/old offerings delayed, added, pulled, I've always been a fan/satisfied customer. I've truly enjoyed the full E*xperience since my migration to Dish in the wake of the Voom transition a couple of years ago. Now I'm not sure what to do.

Dish is sending out a second unit to verify that there are no other options to allow installation (within reason--we're not able to chop down 100yr-old trees on others' property, of course; nor do we wish to erect a 40ft tower). Otherwise, like it or not, looks like Dish and I will have to part ways.

Which leaves me with the question--what's my best alternative/options? And just as important, what do I do with my purchased 622 w/ R5000HD mod receiver? It's one of my favorite pieces of A/V equipment ever and I hate to part with it. eBay? Sell it on SatGuys? How do you deal w/ legacy recordings and are there any security/identity theft issues to be concerned with?

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you have a line of sight for 119 and 110, but not 129 why not use 2 dish 500's one for 119 & 110 and the other for 61.5. Just a thought.

At our condo (prev residence), we had just that (I believe). Two E* dishes (one, at least, was a 500) and a terrestrial antennae. I know that, originally, the second dish was necessary to cover some channels, including Chicago locals.

I'm not sure if/how a twin-500 solution that avoids 129 would work, i.e. will this cover all the HD channels and my locals. Ideas? Maybe I'm confused/missing something. The installer seemed confident that we could get a chunk of SD, but that the HD bird would be a no go.

At our condo (prev residence), we had just that (I believe). Two E* dishes (one, at least, was a 500) and a terrestrial antennae. I know that, originally, the second dish was necessary to cover some channels, including Chicago locals.

I'm not sure if/how a twin-500 solution that avoids 129 would work, i.e. will this cover all the HD channels and my locals. Ideas? Maybe I'm confused/missing something. The installer seemed confident that we could get a chunk of SD, but that the HD bird would be a no go.

61.5 is a mirror of 129 as far as hd. Hd locals is a another question as to which bird they are on. If I was your installer and had a clear line of sight for 119,110, & 61.5, I would use 1 dish 500 with a dp+twin & 1 dish 500 with a dp dual. As far as locals go you more than likely can get something with an ota antenna. Your 622 has a built in digital tuner and integrates those ota channels seamlessly into your receiver. Good luck.

Hire a local guy to do the install. If you find a retailer that still advertises C-Band, then he will probably have lots of experience coming from the old days and can do the job.

If you want to check line of sight yourself, go to DishPointer.com - Satellite Dish Pointer / Alignment Calculator with Google Maps and that site will draw a line to each satellite from your property as well as telling you the elevation. Then, get you a 2x4 and make a miter cut in it at the same angle that dishpointer tells you is needed for the 129 and/or 61.5. Then, walk around various points on your property checking for line of sight by holding the 2x4 level and looking up the cut and seeing if any trees appear beyond it. If you find a spot, that's your location for at least the 129. You may end up needing two separate dishes for 110/119 and for 129.

I've done an install where we had to do 3 separate dishes in place of a 1000.2 in order to aim through a narrow draw.

Which leaves me with the question--what's my best alternative/options? And just as important, what do I do with my purchased 622 w/ R5000HD mod receiver? It's one of my favorite pieces of A/V equipment ever and I hate to part with it. eBay? Sell it on SatGuys? How do you deal w/ legacy recordings and are there any security/identity theft issues to be concerned with?

Thanks.

Sell it here.

But sell it fast, once the Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR hits the market "soon" The R5000 value with drop fast......My opinion only

HD PVR Product overview

*I feel your pain. My 211 w/ R5000HD/Sagetv mod receiver is also my favorite A/V equipment

Thanks for all the info/advice.

I go into the hospital tomorrow for outpatient surgery, but I'm hoping to hear back from the E* in the meantime (before an alternate install tentatively set for Tues) and maybe we'll see some ray of hope. If not, you'll see me posting some notices for a certain ViP 622 very soon...

Chances are if you can't get Dish after trying all the above Ideas, Direct won't work either...If you have to sell... try here first;)

Well, I still haven't heard word from Dish as to the results of their 'second look' and the clock has almost run out (a competitive service installation is scheduled for tomorrow 8a-12p). We'll see what happens.

Really, really, REALLY hate to jump off the E*-train, but it may just happen.

If that occurs tomorrow--well, I'll be posting an item for sale very soon. Hope my baby (the 622 w/ mod) finds a loving home. It has been a happy well-tended member of my household.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)