Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Read an interesting article.

Excerpts:

And losing the iPhone exclusivity could really hurt AT&T, for which the iPhone represented about 65 pecent of its smartphone sales in the last quarter.

AT&T has about twice as many smartphone users on its network than Verion does, according to my calculations: 53.0 million versus 21.4 million. So AT&T's network has a lot more load to handle.

AT&T is also investing in its network, bolstering backbone capacity and adding faster radio technologies such as HSPA+ and LTE to its cell towers. Of course, so is everyone else; ....

Finally, I think AT&T is being smarter about its data pricing than the competition is, ....

It's not a long article, and well worth reading.

AT&T had what 3 years to get their network setup correctly and they couldn't do it.

Either a mass number of AT&T customers will move to Verizon, Freeing up AT&T's Network and making it run better, or People are going to flock to Verizon and slow down their network.

I know one thing for sure, the days of AT&T reporting lots of new subscribers due to the Iphone are over!

I never thought much about being able to surf and talk at the same time. Until I needed it to help out my wife, running late for a meeting. Now, I wouldn't be without it. Probably not a factor for most, I'll admit.

As regards a post in some other thread about this feature coming to CDMA, I discussed it with a friend who actually knew the technologies quite well. My friend's response? "We have a technical term for what it would take to achieve that: A miracle."

Claude Greiner said:
AT&T had what 3 years to get their network setup correctly and they couldn't do it.

Either a mass number of AT&T customers will move to Verizon, Freeing up AT&T's Network and making it run better, or People are going to flock to Verizon and slow down their network.

I know one thing for sure, the days of AT&T reporting lots of new subscribers due to the Iphone are over!

AT&T also has more tower sites than mos other carriers...not an easy task for even a company as big as AT&T .

I never thought much about being able to surf and talk at the same time. Until I needed it to help out my wife, running late for a meeting. Now, I wouldn't be without it. Probably not a factor for most, I'll admit.

As regards a post in some other thread about this feature coming to CDMA, I discussed it with a friend who actually knew the technologies quite well. My friend's response? "We have a technical term for what it would take to achieve that: A miracle."

That's funny! Throughout history of the world, when a suggested technology is impossible, doing it is often said to be a miracle. LOL!

Here's the scoop- Verizon said as early as last October, that simultaneous voice and data will become available with the use of new LTE / CDMA phones to be introduced in first half of 2011. This service will only be possible in locations that support LTE connectivity. The data bandwidth will be 12 Mbs download and capable of High quality video. IN areas that do not support LTE, the same phones will be backward compatible with CDMA for both voice and data but not simultaneously.

Over a year ago when this topic first came up I suggested another way that CDMA could be used for simultaneous voice / data and that was by incorporating a dual channel transceiver chip in the phone, permitting not only a dual line phone but permitting the second line to make a data call #777 as well as keep the voice call active. This would result in a much higher quality voice and much higher error free data exchange as it would not be subject to the frequency slicing process that would occur in the GSM dual call process. In a business environment, the need for a two line phone is about the same as the need for two line desk phone in your office. Considering Verizon's attraction to the business client, I thought they would go this route. But, they went one better and LTE/CDMA is going to be their direction for the foreseeable future.

I don't know what an iPhone on ATT normally costs or the associated details, but today's paper lists a 3GS for $49. Probably for new customers only, of course...

CDMA & LTE, certainly. Using two CDMA lines- well of course, but that's cheating! ;)

I believe anyone can buy a 3GS for $49 now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)