Status
Not open for further replies.

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
I live several miles out of town so I cannot get DSL until AT&T (previously SBC. previously Ameritech, previously Illinois Bell) puts a DSLAM in the Remote Terminal at the entrance to my subdivision. A couple of years ago SBC said they were going to spend XX millions to upgrade DSL in the metro-east. I thought that meant for me but
it turned out they were upgrading the DCOs in the small towns east of here. Does anyone know if AT&T still has a program to upgrade the Remote Terminals like they initially did with Project Pronto (I mean Lento)??? The subdivision has about 70 homes valued between $200K to $400K (I'm at the low end) so it's not as though there's no money in it for them. Is there an active program in progress to upgrade the Remote Terminals or do I have to wait another decade for them to pull fiber into the neighborhood? There is fiber to the RT now.

I thought the whole purpose of haveing RTs was to help these sort of situations, im in ohio, and i too rember all the diffrent names we have gone throught for local phone, lol. I am around 11,000 feet away from my central office, but there is a r/t in line that cuts down that length to around 4-5,000 ft. it is my understanding from talking to local techs that the r/t is a pure fiber feed from the co, so i dont see why there would be a need for a dslam in the r/t, all the r/t is doing enabling more people to get dsl, by cutting the loop length. my sugestion is that you try and get ahold of your local office and try persuading them into seeing the benefits of making ur area dsl enabled. im supprised that when that was being developed that they dident think of this issue. of couse it is sbc so go figure. of couse, im still waiting for that magical fiber line to pass by my house to get fttp or at least fttn. like verizon is doing about 15 minutes north of me in a diffrent county. let me know how it goes.

For the RT to support DSL, you need a DSLAM. Right now it has a couple SLC-96s in it which only supports voice channels and (almost) 56KBS dial-up. Without going into a long winded technical discussion, the DSLAM offers the same interface to your twisted copper cable pair as the DCO offers to DSL customers directly connected.

Dslam is for those close to the office

RIRWIN1983,
What you mentioned is correct.
It IS fiber out to the xcut box going into the sub division, in most cases, not being there I can only speculate, but if the sub division is over oh say 12,000 ft from the CO, they probably did provision it with DPG (digital pair gain) (fiber to the box) thus making the loop lenth from the box to the sub's home.

IF the development IS brand new, the DPG might not yet be activated.

Some areas are currently using Fiber to the home, but I am not sure what cities it is in at this time.

Jimbo
Ohio bell, Ameritech, SBC , AT&T tech since 1990

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts