Atlanta Newbie Dropping D* for E*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bigmixx

Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Dacula, GA
I've been doing a lot of research the last couple of days as I'm planning to make the switch from D* to E* mainly because of the HD content. I've spoken with E* cust service on multiple occassions and I can't seem to get clear answers. I've went through the Dish Builder and I have a pretty good idea on what my monthly charges would be but I keep hearing/reading different things concerning the monthly fees that E* charges and I'm hoping you can help clear this up for me.

I'm looking to go with an HD-DVR(622) and a ST-DVR(625). I know they are both dual tuners but I want to be able to record & watch on my HDTV and still be able to watch something different on the second TV. I figure I have to pay for the second receiver anyway so.... I'm looking to go with the HD Gold package with locals. According to dish, before the monthly discounts I'd be paying $91.95/month.

69.99 - HD Gold
5.00 - Locals

Fees:
5.98 - DVR fee
5.98 - DVR fee (2nd)
5.00 - Additional Receiver fee
--------------------------------------
16.96 - Total Fees (Ouch)

Now, I've seen some people say they are being charged an additional monthly lease fee of $6.00 for the 622. Is this correct? In that case it would bring my total fees not including programming to $22.96 making my monthly bill $97.95. Also, I know the DVR fees are waived if I go to the HD Platinum pkg but is the additoinal receiver fee waived if I keep it plugged into a phone jack?

Last question, I live in Dacula, GA which is northeast of Atlanta, how is the signal quality/strength in this area? Thanks for helping out the new guy. Love the site by the way.

Hey, I live in Auburn, right next to Dacula. I dropped D* and just got my 622 hooked up a couple of weeks ago. Very happy so far. I did lose signal from 129 when the storms came through though. I get the locals OTA so I can't speak to the quality of the Atlanta locals through E* but the other HD programming has been good.:up

mbetts said:
Hey, I live in Auburn, right next to Dacula. I dropped D* and just got my 622 hooked up a couple of weeks ago. Very happy so far. I did lose signal from 129 when the storms came through though. I get the locals OTA so I can't speak to the quality of the Atlanta locals through E* but the other HD programming has been good.:up

Thanks for the info. That's mainly what I was curious about because the only time I lose signal with D* is when the power goes out. I'd stay with D* but Dish just looks really good right now and a lot cheaper too. Did you go through a local installer or directly through Dish?

Went directly through Dish. Let me know if you decide to switch and want my Club Dish referral number. It will give you the following promotion:

SATELLITE TV FOR UP TO 4 ROOMS WITH DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE INCLUDING:
FREE Activation (a $49.99 value)
$100 back with America's Top 120 or higher programming
STARZ Movie Pack FREE for the first 3 months
:)

I think I am going to make the switch. I just hope I'm able to get a good signal strength on 129. From what I've been reading it's not that good.

I would suggest going through a local installer because you can deal with them personally instead of waiting on the phone forever and also if you ever need service calls you will know who you are working with.

I would also go with your local installer. I'm in the process of possibly switching to Dish from Time Warner and I much prefer talking to the guy who is going to install the system. It makes me feel more at ease.

What a difference a day makes. I called D* to cancel my account and what do they do?, they offer me the HD-DVR for free, along with 4 free months of HD programming. What did I do?, I took it. Although, Dish offers better programming & equipment, I couldn't pass it up. That's compared with all the fees Dish charges along with questionable signal strength on the 129 sat in Atlanta, I decided to hold on to D*. Thanks to everyone's help with all my Dish questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)