Atlanta WXIA-DT (NBC) on 622 unwatchable

I've noticed that the OTA signal strength for WXIA has dropped significantly in the last few weeks. I live in the va highland area and used to get 100% signal strength consistently. Now it's around 76-78 although I rarely get any dropouts. I haven't changed anything on my end.

Aero-
I see the same thing on the ABC feed out of Philly. IT's not the 622 - from what i've been told it's the damn MPEG-4 converters - and how the local channels themselves send the HD feeds (720, 1080, etc).

At this point, there's nothing we can do - other than hope DISH fixes it.

My OTA signal strength from WXIA was consistently 100. It now hovers around 78 to 80. I have noticed a few picture break ups and I live close enough to their transmission tower that it is clearly visible from my home.

kluken said:
Their OTA sucks lately too! Their SD is good, but then SD sucks. i have e-mailed WXIa several times over the last year about their crappy Hd signal. Their OTA also has degraded, the signal strength used to be in the 90's now it is 76 at best! I see drop outs all the time (and mean some that last seconds) on the OTA and the Dish HD feed for WXIA. I feel NBC and ABC in general lag when it coems to HD technology, FAX has adopted and embraced it and run with it, I have never seen any issues with my FOX station. The local CBS used to have problems, but I was dealing with their engineering manager and they eventually identified a bug last year and fixed it, since then they have been real good as well. ABC tends to have glitches and I think NBC is still trying to understand HD. Funny how WXIA brags about being HD for their news and such, yet they can't transmit an HD signal to save their lives! In ATL I would rank then as FOX, CBS, then ABC and NBC (tied for last) as far as quality and torublefree HD broadcast.

I'm on D* but I have been watching channel 11 since the day they started the local news in HD. In coucurr, the OTA has been degrading slowly (but dramatically) over the last few months.

edit..I have not checked my signal strenght lately. I will when I get home from work today.

Last edited:
lakebum431 said:
The only problem that I have ever seen on ABC in Atlanta is that they sometimes forget to flip the switch when they come back from commercial so the first several seconds are in SD. But I never have any issues with drop out.

Correct and to me that is just as bad as drop outs. CBS had big problems last year and I was dealing with their head engineer and based on what I was telling them they said they found a bug that they resolved and since then CBS has been really good.

kluken said:
In ATL I would rank then as FOX, CBS, then ABC and NBC (tied for last) as far as quality and torublefree HD broadcast.
I would rank ABC as good as FOX, then CBS, and last but not least, NBC.

I hate to say it again, but if you have this problem and haven't called DISH, please do. The more we complain the better chance of it being fixed.

I've called DISH to complain about this same problem on my 622 and 211 receivers. I guess it is mostly WXIA, but I seem to get similar problems on all of the HD locals via satellite. I have had technicians out to my house 3 times to look at it, but it never seems to be a problem when they are there. They all told me that it is a known problem with the receivers and that a software update should be coming soon. No one can seem to tell me when this update will arrive. Watching Sunday night football was painful on WXIA, I finally just turned it off.

mpeltz said:
I would rank ABC as good as FOX, then CBS, and last but not least, NBC.
I woudl agree that ABC has improved and maybe it woudl be as good as FOX if they woudl stop forgetting to switch back to HD after commercials! Seems NBC is moving backward, the ATL WXIA sucks bad, OTA signal strenth down a bunch last 4-6 weeks and they uplink or whatever to E* sucks, makes it hard to watch NBC in anything other than SD. And e-mails to WXIA go unanswered. Well hope they don't have much good on this fall, I plan on passing on any of their new shows until they fix their broadcast and uplink issues!

EchoStar signs agreement to carry Warner Bros titles

Where's the best place to get DISH?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)