ATSC agrees. No more loud commercials.

--sexy-warlock--

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Chattanooga
ATSC Agrees ? No More Loud Commercials | High-Def Digest

The ATSC will meet next week to approve recommended practices for commercial loudness.
We’ve all had that experience. It’s one of those lazy Sundays where you’re too lethargic to get up and pop in a Blu-ray so you end up watching Shawshank Redemption on TNT for the hundredth time. The movie finds its way to the parole hearing of Brooks, the elderly librarian who is finally set free. Unable to cope with life on the outside he tragically decides to take his own life. The last few tender notes of the score fade, and bam, you’re hit with a ShamWow! commercial twice as loud as the movie.
Thankfully, the ATSC is going to be providing guidance for television stations with a set of practices dubbed A/85. The effort was created with not only the intent of helping the consumer, but to avoid dealing with the federal regulation which is currently in the works.
The ATSC standard will not only ensure that commercials stay at the same volume as programming, but that each channel has the same volume. The ATSC will require that all programming be submitted at -24dB, plus or minus 2dB. NBC Universal states that they have already adapted to the new standards, and other broadcasters will be following in their footsteps shortly.

There is a God! I am so tired of adjusting the volume watching TV while my wife sleeps. It is, as best, very annoying.

Reacting to pending federal regulation scares me. Oh I will do better....yeah right.:rolleyes: I still want pending regulation to pass. The advertising industry has said we will regulate this as well. Oh boy that worked didn't it. This should have been a no brainier. We shall see........err hear........ I talked to someone in the advertising industry that told me that even though loud commercials are aggravating to the consumer the practice increased sales. Unless there is more stringent federal regulation with heavy fines this problem will continue...........

Who funds the ATSC? The ATSC standard was developed in the early 90s by the Grand Alliance, a rather large group of electronics and telecommunications companies that massed to develop an industry standard which is now known as HDTV. ATSC Standard "A/53" developed by the Grand Alliance was published in 1995. The standard was adopted by the Federal Communications Commission in the United States in 1996.............. Ok who is the Grand Alliance?
The Grand Alliance was/is a consortium created in 1993 at the request of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to develop the American digital television standard. It consisted of AT&T, General Instrument Corporation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Philips Consumer Electronics, David Sarnoff Research Center, Thomson Consumer Electronics, and Zenith Electronics Corporation. The Grand Alliance DTV system is the basis for the ATSC standard.
Sounds like the fox gaurding the hen house in respect to A/85 to me..... No disrespect to the OP!​

Last edited:
Looks like

ATSC Agrees ? No More Loud Commercials | High-Def Digest

The ATSC will meet next week to approve recommended practices for commercial loudness.
We’ve all had that experience. It’s one of those lazy Sundays where you’re too lethargic to get up and pop in a Blu-ray so you end up watching Shawshank Redemption on TNT for the hundredth time. The movie finds its way to the parole hearing of Brooks, the elderly librarian who is finally set free. Unable to cope with life on the outside he tragically decides to take his own life. The last few tender notes of the score fade, and bam, you’re hit with a ShamWow! commercial twice as loud as the movie.
Thankfully, the ATSC is going to be providing guidance for television stations with a set of practices dubbed A/85. The effort was created with not only the intent of helping the consumer, but to avoid dealing with the federal regulation which is currently in the works.
The ATSC standard will not only ensure that commercials stay at the same volume as programming, but that each channel has the same volume. The ATSC will require that all programming be submitted at -24dB, plus or minus 2dB. NBC Universal states that they have already adapted to the new standards, and other broadcasters will be following in their footsteps shortly.

This looks like it will only pertain to networks controlling the volume but not what the locals have to insert into their allotted time slots.

Who funds the ATSC? The ATSC standard was developed in the early 90s by the Grand Alliance, a rather large group of electronics and telecommunications companies that massed to develop an industry standard which is now known as HDTV. ATSC Standard "A/53" developed by the Grand Alliance was published in 1995. The standard was adopted by the Federal Communications Commission in the United States in 1996.............. Ok who is the Grand Alliance?
The Grand Alliance was/is a consortium created in 1993 at the request of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to develop the American digital television standard. It consisted of AT&T, General Instrument Corporation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Philips Consumer Electronics, David Sarnoff Research Center, Thomson Consumer Electronics, and Zenith Electronics Corporation. The Grand Alliance DTV system is the basis for the ATSC standard.
Sounds like the fox guarding the hen house in respect to A/85 to me..... No disrespect to the OP!​
In simplified terms big business is supposed to stop the loud irritating commercials. BS. obtw if they are listening, while I am in the comfort of my home and watching tv do not scream at me when you try to sell me something........:mad:

Last edited:
do not scream at me when you try to sell me something........:mad:

I don't hear those commercials... because I have the TV muted so I can answer the robot phone calls from my banks and other companies that I do business with.

This is much more annoying to me... when Chase and Bank of America call with a robot call to tell me the same thing that was in the mail that I received the day before. :rolleyes: :mad:

There is a God! I am so tired of adjusting the volume watching TV while my wife sleeps. It is, as best, very annoying.

The prospect of this law must have been what killed Billy "The Screamer" Hayes. :D I had to mute the channel or change channels whenever he came on. And then Discovery had a show about those guys? lol

I do wish a law was passed to force this to come about, there is no way that the stations will do it on their own, with no penalties (fines.)

The prospect of this law must have been what killed Billy "The Screamer" Hayes. :D I had to mute the channel or change channels whenever he came on. And then Discovery had a show about those guys? lol

I do wish a law was passed to force this to come about, there is no way that the stations will do it on their own, with no penalties (fines.)

The only alternative to this is don't watch TV, which I don't advocate. BTW, Dish Networks own commercials are some of the LOUDEST offenders. I agree, at this point it would appear that only Big Brother may be able to resolve the issue.

And I hate bigger government.

The only alternative to this is don't watch TV, which I don't advocate. BTW, Dish Networks own commercials are some of the LOUDEST offenders. I agree, at this point it would appear that only Big Brother may be able to resolve the issue.

And I hate bigger government.

DirecTV's are loud and obnoxious as well, as they all are.

I am also against the guv'ment taking over things, but there is no other way these cretins can be stopped, short of not watching them. I used to call the sponsors of local ads who did this and then SCREAM into the phone how loud their commercials were, but the wife got miffed, so I stopped my crusade against this crap.

My TVs are supposed to do sound leveling, but that doesn't work. The broadcasters have figured out how to bypass that technology, so the time has come to regulate them. Only alternative, as there is no such thing as self-regulation amongst these scumbags.

Now all we need is dish to adjust all their channels to the same volume and for the people who make the newer tv shows and movies to make the voices loud enough I can hear them without the special effects waking everyone in the house.

Sorry for the rant, but am I the only one tired of using a remote the whole time they watch something just so I can turn it up for dialog and down for special effects?

I will believe this when I hear it. They can set what ever recommendations they want. Or even if laws get passed, commercials will push to be as obnoxious as possible to get the most attention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)