This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

ATT Sues VZW (update suits dropped)

I read that earlier. I wonder how the judge feels about other commercials that viewers see since we are semi catatonic. You know the ones with no disclaimer like Captain Morgan.

Some additional details:

I don't know why America is playing with such old CDMA technology, don't they talk with the rest of the world?
Virtually all of the world apart from America is GSM and CDMA compatable and will be 4G, MC CDMA, LTE advanced. Even Verizon announced last December they would roll out 4G this December - no hope.
As for expecting Apple to manufacture Iphones for old CDMA technology what are they thinking, the US cell phone market is extremely small compared to the world market.

So when will T-Mobile make it's claims it is the superior service? Seems this is the latest in the advertising fiasco. I think the plan is to measure the impact of these commercials on business vs. the loss of revenue due to the suits and production costs, fines etc.

I think more and more, business will look at the cost of false advertising as an expense should they get caught, against the profits if the ads until they get caught.

I have to admit that I wouldn't have paid much attention to Verizon's commercials over the holiday, but I find their comparisons to AT&T's 3G network to be quite funny.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is changing any of ATT's plans? If I was on the board of AT&T I would want some answers as to why so many billions have been spent and now AT&T is being pounded in ads. How did AT&T fall so far behind?

Might not be "so far." I'd love to see percent of population coverage. Plus how "deep" the coverage is, although with the iPhone that might not be so good.

I, personally, have seen great improvement.

OK, maybe I'm not getting something here... ATT is generalizing VZW's experience and saying that you can't talk on the phone and do other things at the same time with Verizon... but you can do that on any Blackberry... and wasn't that ability just now added to iphones? You couldn't do more than one thing at a time until just several months ago?

They do it here too... 'access to over 100,00 apps' but not everyone on ATT has an iphone, and all the ATT Blackberry users have access to the same number of apps

Dunno, seens like a few wild swings in their rebuttal commercials. Could provoke a VZW counter suit maybe? Hey, they're both selling netbooks now arent they, quick, someone boast access to millions of shareware/freeware programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had my iphone tethered, been on a conference call and using apps on the iphone at the same time.

ATT claims they are close to VZ in population coverage of 3G. That might be nice, but when I leave the city it would be nice to still have 3G.

I wonder if maybe I can't browse the web while im on a call? Not sure I've ever tried that on my Storm. I am 100% sure do more than one thing at a time though, in fact often I have my phone doing too many things and it's easier to pull the battery/reset it (via an APP, omg!) than turn everything off individually. None of these shut down during a call and im able to switch to them during it...

Not true. I have always been able to talk on the phone and use the internet at the same time on the iPhone.

I also didn't think that Blackberry's on Verizon was able to use the phone and internet at the same time. I could be wrong but that is the way I read things from people talking around here.

I thought there were 2 longstanding problems with the iphone, multi tasking, and copy/paste. Both of which were finally resolved with the most recent version?

I thought there were 2 longstanding problems with the iphone, multi tasking, and copy/paste. Both of which were finally resolved with the most recent version?

True multi tasking is still a problem with the iPhone. You can use the phone and internet but that is about all.

I think the commercial posted above is pretty lame and boring, but the whole thing is turning very silly.

Lets be honest, both At&T and Verizon suck in their own ways.

Yup, I have to give them both credit though, the iPhone has accelerated smartphone innovation by multiple generations, and in order to compete with all these features that are relatively free VZW has given up their grip on a lot of the nickel and dime apps they've been trying to sell people. It's all better for those it matters to: the consumer.

I also didn't think that Blackberry's on Verizon was able to use the phone and internet at the same time.
As I understand it, this is a limitation of CDMA (??). I have an HTC WinMo phone on Verizon and if I'm on a call, I can't access the internet. I can't imagine a Blackberry being any different.

That said, and since ATT is touting this "feature" or ability in rebuttal to VZW's ads, how many people on ATT know you can do this ? I'm not talking about the technical geeks either, the average "joe" and "jane". Tell someone who's trying to decide on ATT or VZW that you can do this and see what their response is.

Thinking about it more, using internet while on a call has to happen so rarely, it kinda looks like they're reaching pretty hard to find something to boast about (in my opinion).

Just tried it on my Storm by calling my voicemail and then going back to the home screen and opening my browser, says that the network is in use, offers to go to a previous version of the Google News bookmark I clicked on. I think the only thing I've done while on the phone is access my phone book to read off a number to someone I was on the phone with though.