Attach Wireless Joey to back of tv using using its VESA holes

judyintexas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
As part of our plan to move to the Hopper3 system, we bought a 50" tv that we have mounted on its stand instead of the wall, and that we plan to move from one room to another as needed. Given that the TV would be served by a wireless Joey, I would like to see if it is possible to mount the Joey to the TV-- the combined assembly would weigh less than 11 pounds and would be pretty portable.

The TV is drilled to accept a 100mmx100mm VESA mount. I figure someone on this site might have done this, and might know of the specific parts to get to accomplish this, or might have advice on whether or not to plan to do this.

Thank you! You folks rock!

Seems to me more trouble than worth. Get some industrial Velcro. But personally, from a heat standpoint, I would not do either!

Reactions: charlesrshell
My Joey 1 was too hot to touch and my Joey 2 was getting hot before I set up an old computer case fan to blow across it, keeps my office toasty in the winter.

My Joey 1 was too hot to touch and my Joey 2 was getting hot before I set up an old computer case fan to blow across it, keeps my office toasty in the winter.
I just happen to have an old Joey 1 sitting in my office doing nothing. I just plugged it in and powered it on. I’ll report my findings in a short while.

As part of our plan to move to the Hopper3 system, we bought a 50" tv that we have mounted on its stand instead of the wall, and that we plan to move from one room to another as needed. Given that the TV would be served by a wireless Joey, I would like to see if it is possible to mount the Joey to the TV-- the combined assembly would weigh less than 11 pounds and would be pretty portable.

The TV is drilled to accept a 100mmx100mm VESA mount. I figure someone on this site might have done this, and might know of the specific parts to get to accomplish this, or might have advice on whether or not to plan to do this.

Thank you! You folks rock!
IMHO this can be done with some planning-measuring-drilling...A piece of thin plywood measured for the back wall mount drill the holes to mount it to the tv, carefully drill a hole on each side of the base of the WJ. There is enough lip on the sides to drill small holes for small wood screws[but remember study twice drill once:D], another thing the WJ will stick out a little ways so keep that in mind. I take no responsibility if something goes wrong this is just a opinion.:oops:

I just happen to have an old Joey 1 sitting in my office doing nothing. I just plugged it in and powered it on. I’ll report my findings in a short while.
I use to keep up with my HWS and Joey temps when we had the old UI. I had a Joey 1 in the garage and use to keep a cooling fan on it. I never installed cooling fans for my WJs. See attached for the readings.

Attachments

• Hopper - Joey Temps-1.pdf
    67.4 KB · Views: 272
Reactions: Bear.3
OK, I left it powered on for an hour. It got warm but not hot. I held my hand on the warmest spot for a minute with no discomfort.

HipKat, you are right, I was looking for advice on "figure out how."

KAB, we have the setup now, so I just went and felt the wireless Joey. One side near the top is slightly warmer than room temperature. The rest is room temperature. It is not turned on now.

PartySox,that is a neat idea, but I was thinking of using "standard" parts. Surely someone has fastened this device to a wall. That would entail the boxholder part to hold the device, preferably one that was drilled for the VESA mount.

However, now that I have seen the device, which does stand on its narrow side nicely without the kludgy stand that they left for the Joey2 or 3, (whichever we got), I am probably o.k. with just keeping it as a separate device from the TV. If it had tipover problems or was not so easy to move and place, I'd want to attach it.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)