Attention Verizon V-710 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what exactly is wrong with the v710. I had almost got one, since it was the only Verizon phone with Bluetooth at the time.

I got 3 when they first came out - never got my $70 x 3 rebate either :mad:

Love to return them for new models - are there other good Bluetooth capable units out there from Verizon?

Here's everyones complaint.......

Manufacture an amazing piece of technology and then cripple all of the good features so you can profit. This is how many v710 users describe their new Bluetooth-enabled phone from Verizon. The v710 appeared to be a truly amazing product from the manufacturer's initial feature list - Bluetooth support, Megapixel Camera, POP3 email, and Instant Messenger. That is, before Verizon decided to disable several of its features for what many believe (and what Verizon doesn't deny) was an effort to drive up revenue. If all you plan on doing is talking on the phone, you won't have any problems - the phone functions with all Verizon-approved hands-free devices. Then again, who would pay the hefty $519 list price for a phone if they just wanted to talk on it?

After buying the new v710, many consumers quickly discovered they were unable to perform several basic functions which other similarly equipped phones, from other carriers, were capable of doing. Simple functions, such as sending a phone book record to another phone or a picture to a laptop computer, exist only in some locked area of the v710 noone can access. This is because some critical Bluetooth profiles have been deactivated on the handset; primarily OBEX (Object Exchange) , OPP (Object Push Profile), and SPP (Serial Port Profile). These services are responsible for transferring photos and phone numbers or performing synchronization with a PC wirelessly. Lack of these feature has also caused many vehicles with Bluetooth support (such as the Prius, Acura TL, and BMW) to malfunction. The only sure-fire way to transfer anything to or from the phone, in fact, is to shell out $60 for a TransFlash memory card - and new versions of Verizon firmware are being leaked out showing this feature has already been crippled in future releases. Looking around for the POP3 email client or instant messenger? It was advertised as a capability by the manufacturer, but you won't find it either, because Verizon had those features switched off as well. The irony is that Motorola, who doesn't sell these handsets directly to the public, has done a significant amount of advertising on their own for a handset that, thanks to the carrier, will never exist in its advertised state.

Verizon did the same thing to the Treo 650.

The only way to get some of the features (like Bluetooth) to work is by using a software hack.

Scott:

I'm going to use this opportunity to jump back to my original service (Alltel). Any idea of any Bluetooth issues with their V710 - or they also have a Nokia 6225i with Bluetooth - Any opinions?

Is this common for Verizon?

I concidering going with their Smartphone but if they gimped it I'd be pretty P/O'd.

I might just have to hang on to the trusty SMT-5600 on AT&T.

Ceas2182 said:
I've just bought a v710, this phone has a great signal and the sound quality is awesome. For me, that's all I need.

$500 for a phone just to have good signal and sound? Ive got an LG 4NE1 for $40 that has good signal and sound, then again I was listening to a news report about some foreign presidents son yesterday in a third world country driving around in a hummer and talking on a $40,000 cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)