attention voomers using dish 811 or 6000 to power your voom ota antenna

dodge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Plano, Illinois, United States
by using a WINEGARD MODEL DP 3020 dual satellite /OFF - AIR COMBINER , you can power your voom winegard sensar II or winegard ap series antenna preamplifier you can power your ota antenna with this combiner and 1 standard diplexor no power supply or extra cabling needed, see picture below

Attachments

• winegard 1.jpg
    winegard 1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 303
Tap it into the nearest convienent receiver feed cable - that does NOT already have a E* power inserter on it! If you need two feeds, use the REC 2 side, too.

Put a standard diplexer near the receiver to feed it's OTA input.

dodge said:
by using a WINEGARD MODEL DP 3020 dual satellite /OFF - AIR COMBINER , you can power your voom winegard sensar II or winegard ap series antenna preamplifier you can power your ota antenna with this combiner and 1 standard diplexor no power supply or extra cabling needed, see picture below

Will this work for the 942 also? If not what is needed for the Squareshooter antenna Voom provided?

I think I got screwed on my dish install. I asked the retailer if the installer could hook up my voom OFA antenna. When he got here last night, he wanted to know if I was going to pay for it. I told him I thought it would be as simple as just hooking up the coax to the antenna input, so no. This after noon, I found a Channelmaster 4032IFD in the grass partialkly broken. I had given the installer a duplexor? that I had found hooked up to the lines. It is gone now. Are these the only two items I needed to used my voom OTA antenna?Where do they go? I am somewhat new at this. Could I hook this Diplexor up and and a diplexor inseries and it will work? Can I hook this up in series before it exits the house? I am going to be pissed if this guy sabotaged my antenna so I would pay him $140 for their antenna and $160 for the install!

Well...update. He cut the coax cable from the voom OTA antenna...I could not notice in the dark last night. It is wrapped around the antenna.

Wow, this is so confusing for a newbie. I just switched from Voom. I have what I believe is a Dish500, an 811 reciever on my HDTV and some type of dual tuner on 2 standards. So if i get this DP 3020, I need to hook up the two cables coming from the dish into the "Sat In 1" and "Sat In 2" spaces, then hook the cable from the antenna into the "VHF/UHF In" space, then get a simple diplexor to combine the "Rec1" and "Rec 2" spaces? Is that right? And if that's the case, what do I do next? just go into the installation menu and scan for digital locals?
I think I'm slowly getting there. I appreciate the help and I know others do as well. Also, where can I get the 3020? Thanks!

voom ota antenna power insertor

yes it will work for a all dish receivers, install the unit between the dish and receiver before it hits any multiswitches at the dish end and at the receiver end using a standard diplexor at the receiver end you will have 2 outputs, one for ota and the other for satellite

dodge said:
yes it will work for a all dish receivers, install the unit between the dish and receiver before it hits any multiswitches at the dish end and at the receiver end using a standard diplexor at the receiver end you will have 2 outputs, one for ota and the other for satellite

Before it his any multiswitches at the dish end...meaning reciever, then diplexor, then combiner, then multiswitches, then dish?

I just want to make sure....don't want to fry anything. :D
Thanks for all the help.

Thanks alot for this post!

I found out that the installer screwed it up on mine.

Scenario: I live in Peoria, AZ. My house faces due east. In order to get the VOOM bird, they had to mount the dish on my block wall fence. As a result, the winegard combiner was mounted there too. When E* was installed, they mounted in on the house for better reception. However, the winegard was still on the wall and then he used another combiner at the house.

Here was the problem: Instead of using the Sat input for the dish and the in/out for the receiver, he used the Sat input for the receiver and the in/out for the dish. Hence, no OTA signal was being routed to the receiver end.

My solution: Removed the E* provided combiner outside and re-routed the cable from the OTA antenna (just buried under the 1/2" rock that blankets our yards out here) to where the E* dish is and also moved the winegard combiner.

Result: 80% plus signal strength!!!

Woo Hoo! Now I can return the $40 settop antenna I bought.

Thanks again for the info!

I think I'm getting there. This is great. So if I replace the simple diplexor that Dish installed (they took the one Voom gave me!), and use the 3020 to do the job instead...then I just have to use a diplexor right before my reciever and hook one coaxial to the dish input and one coaxial to the antenna input....then just scan for locals and voila?

Joecool said:
I think I'm getting there. This is great. So if I replace the simple diplexor that Dish installed (they took the one Voom gave me!), and use the 3020 to do the job instead...then I just have to use a diplexor right before my reciever and hook one coaxial to the dish input and one coaxial to the antenna input....then just scan for locals and voila?

Yes, that should work.

I would call them and tell them that the installer took the old diplexor. They should not have done that, nor do they have the right (uninstall it, yes, take it, no).

deltice said:
Yes, that should work.

I would call them and tell them that the installer took the old diplexor. They should not have done that, nor do they have the right (uninstall it, yes, take it, no).
I agree with this statement. I am a manager for a Dish retailer and I would say that if he took your diplexer, it is as good as theft as far as I am concerned. However, there's really no way to prove it. I would call and ask to speak with his immediate supervisor and just let him know that you think he pocketed it. Just so he knows to keep an eye on it.

Well...things are a little complicated.

1. The retailer owner is a friend of my wife's boss.

2. The installer is the retailer's best installer.

He thought that the installer misunderstood my instructions. The retailer states that the duplexor combiner combo does not work with Dish Network and the installer misunder stood what I wanted. He used the cable from the antenna for the install (save costs I guess).

He offered t run the line straight to the Dish 942 or Voom reciever for free, but not to replace the duplexors or combiners. He offered his Channel Master Bowtie antenna for cost...$100. It looks like not a great antenna. $20 online... :no

Happy ending. Communication problem. The retailer talked to the installer and he did not understand the issue. He came out and wired up the voom stealth antenna free of charge (without the combiner and duplexor) . I live about 45 miles away from the transmitters and I am getting 90+ strength on all the locals except one(unamplified). :)

Thanks! I took your advice and called DISH. The person I talked to apologized and setup an appointment to have them finish the install. I told him how they took my antenna off of the Voom dish and actually put it back up with the DISH one, but just left the cable hanging down because they said they didn't have the diplexor to hook it up. So I might not have to worry about anything unless it turns out that the signal strength is less than I experienced with my Voom install and I don't get the channels that I was before.
They'll be coming Tuesday if everything goes well. So I'll try and let you know how it went.

Here's The Update:
The installers came this morning, and wouldn't you know it was the same guys that were the ones to install DISH for me in the first place? They thought they were coming to fix a problem and had no instructions from DISH. I explained to them what I did and what DISH told me and they got on the phone and talked for awhile and went to hooking up the antenna. (Side note: I found the combiner that Voom installed, they left it attached to the dish, so I'm glad I didn't use the Installer company's name).
Basically they ended up using two simple diplexors for the whole setup outside and one inside right before the reciever. I don't get exactly the same reception I was when I had Voom, but it's really close. I notice they moved the antenna quite a bit in a different direction...so maybe that's it, I'll move it later tonight maybe.
One of the installers explained that normally they charged extra for doing stuff like that because DISH doesn't pay him for the extra parts, and that they only gave him 20 bucks to come all the way to my house which is an hour away from the company. But he didn't charge me, and it's working, so I'm happy.
I'm wondering now how to hook up a preamp and where to get one, what they cost, if it will actually help. Not sure if I want to mess with all of that. I'd hate to fry something if that's possible. I understand that the stations will have to be broadcasting their digital signal at the same power as their analog in a few months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)