Audio upgrade question/suggestions

bebop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Idaho
I have a satellite reciever (ViP722) that outputs HDMI and Optical audio. I'm looking around for an amplifier (bookshelf, receiver, or whatever).

Is there a good quality model under $175 that will take either HDMI or optical audio and output it to surround (5.1 or so)?

All I really want to do is take the sound from the satellite and output it to a good sounding surround system. I have the speakers already. I don't NEED anything fancy - but if there is something worth buying that is, that's fine.

I also have the satellite connected to my HDTV 1080i Sharp Aquos. One of the main reasons that I want to buy a different way to listen to the sound is that the Aquos has two small speakers, and my existing stereo amplifier is a 4 speaker basic system.

Your input is appreciated - especially if it is HDMI or optical audio ;)

Onky TX-SR606 --- on ebay for $299 + $20 for shipping. Get $90 cashback from Microsoft by going through the search.live.com link..use the fall ebay 10% coupon for another $30 = final total:

$200 SHIPPED.

For $25 over your budget, this is a no brainer.

Onky TX-SR606 --- on ebay for $299 + $20 for shipping. Get $90 cashback from Microsoft by going through the search.live.com link..use the fall ebay 10% coupon for another $30 = final total:

$200 SHIPPED.

For $25 over your budget, this is a no brainer.
I don't have $299+$43 up front for shipping of a reconditioned unit - even if I could get the rebate way down the road. The shipping is not what you mentioned and the cashback looks like it takes a while and is questionable.

Thanks for the idea of saving some money. I'd have to save up for a bit to order that at $342 when I was trying to stay under $175. If that's the the only worthwhile road, I'll look into it around Christmas. But surely there should be a HDMI audio amp or optical for less than that...

Anyone else?

I don't have $299+$43 up front for shipping of a reconditioned unit - even if I could get the rebate way down the road. The shipping is not what you mentioned and the cashback looks like it takes a while and is questionable.

Thanks for the idea of saving some money. I'd have to save up for a bit to order that at $342 when I was trying to stay under $175. If that's the the only worthwhile road, I'll look into it around Christmas. But surely there should be a HDMI audio amp or optical for less than that...

Anyone else?

You must be on the west coast. Everyone I know that bought this is paying $20 for shipping. Of course I live in Nashville and I think the seller is in Florida.

The rebate isn't questionable and the 10% is instant so your out-of-pocket w/ $40 shipping is $310. If you can't float a 60-day credit of $90 on your credit card, then I would say you're gonna have to wait and scrape together a few more pennies if you want those features. You would seriously spend $175 on an inferior product rather than add a few more bucks and get something as road-tested and talked about as the 606? If nothing else the incredible knowledgebases alone at avforums and avsforums alone is worth $100 IMO for this unit.

FWIW, its about 3 clicks to get the rebate to show in your live.com account and then in 60 days a message pops up that says "transfer money" and you can select your paypal account or bank account to have it transferred. Nothing hard or questionable about it. Do a little reading up if you're not up to speed on this.

Way easier than those old unreliable rebate-in-the-mail scams. You can see it show up as 'pending' in your live.com account in about 24 hours.

That price target is way too low for what you are looking for retail; maybe you should look into a pawn shop of ebay.
All I need is a basic amp that can input optical audio or HMDI and output it to 5.1 dolby (or the like). I doubt it is WAY too low. Especially shopping online. I just don't know what is worth looking into.

You must be on the west coast. Everyone I know that bought this is paying $20 for shipping. Of course I live in Nashville and I think the seller is in Florida.

The rebate isn't questionable and the 10% is instant so your out-of-pocket w/ $40 shipping is $310. If you can't float a 60-day credit of $90 on your credit card, then I would say you're gonna have to wait and scrape together a few more pennies if you want those features. You would seriously spend $175 on an inferior product rather than add a few more bucks and get something as road-tested and talked about as the 606? If nothing else the incredible knowledgebases alone at avforums and avsforums alone is worth $100 IMO for this unit.

FWIW, its about 3 clicks to get the rebate to show in your live.com account and then in 60 days a message pops up that says "transfer money" and you can select your paypal account or bank account to have it transferred. Nothing hard or questionable about it. Do a little reading up if you're not up to speed on this.

Way easier than those old unreliable rebate-in-the-mail scams. You can see it show up as 'pending' in your live.com account in about 24 hours.
Concerning the live.com account - that info I very valuable coming from someone who has had it actually work. I'm skeptical about getting such 'rebates' from a third party website - so that helps.

Do you have a link for the details on the 10% ebay credit? I did some reading up last night - but could use some better links for all this. I went to a few sites that obviously weren't the right ones.

Honestly I'd rather have that receiver - because it is obviously a great performer - but I didn't want to jump in without knowing what I was getting into if I'm going to have to spend more than I was planning. Some things are worth going over budget - but I can't do it all the time.

Thanks for the info so far and if you have any good links I'd appreciate them.

You can go lower than the Onkyo 606 if you don't mind using optical instead of HDMI. (There are a lot of entry-level and even low mid-level receivers that advertise HDMI input, but all they do is switch video for your convenience, they won't decode audio from it.)

Right now Onkyo has the TX-SR304 refurbished for $119. Shop Onkyo

They also have the TX-SR505 refurbished for $159. Shop Onkyo The 505 is a very cool receiver in that it will automatically tune itself for the best sound reproduction no matter what the size, range, and position of your speakers.

The next model up, the 506, will also optimize the frequency response for the maximum dynamic range at lower volume levels. This one can be had refurbished for $169 if you just sign up for a free account at ShopOnkyo.

Here is another place to check out. ecost has the above mentioned 304 for $86. I have done business with them in the past.

Audio Receivers - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players

You are at a bottom end price point, but you can get reasonable stuff, especially if you are willing to consider refurbished B-stock, and are willing to handle the audio seperately from the video. I've been pretty happy with Onkyo and Denon, and this site has both within your price range.

Well I got an extra $100 for my birthday - and ordered the refurb unit via ebay. It came in last night and after plugging in everything (properly) I turned it on and it sparked, smoke came out and it's dead.

Oh well, at least if I sit on it for 55 more days - I'll get $90 cashback from Microsoft :rolleyes:. I pray that the seller will be responsible and pay the shipping to have it sent back so that I can get another proper working unit sent to me. I can't afford to pay shipping AGAIN.

Good idea in concept - but what a pain to have the unit die right away. I just filled out a return authorization form and waiting to hear the results. I wish I lived in orlando because I could just drop it off myself.

Well I got an extra $100 for my birthday - and ordered the refurb unit via ebay. It came in last night and after plugging in everything (properly) I turned it on and it sparked, smoke came out and it's dead.

Oh well, at least if I sit on it for 55 more days - I'll get $90 cashback from Microsoft :rolleyes:. I pray that the seller will be responsible and pay the shipping to have it sent back so that I can get another proper working unit sent to me. I can't afford to pay shipping AGAIN.

Good idea in concept - but what a pain to have the unit die right away. I just filled out a return authorization form and waiting to hear the results. I wish I lived in orlando because I could just drop it off myself.
I paid the $20 shipping to have it sent to Denver and get repaired. They have had it for 1 month and told me it will ship out next week.

The right rear channel was blown. I'm confident that something was wrong with the unit, because it was acting weird from the first time I plugged it in. But it did work for a few hours initially when I got it.

Anyone know if a receiver rear channel would blow on its own? They replaced transistors, resistors and caps (among other things).

I paid the $20 shipping to have it sent to Denver and get repaired. They have had it for 1 month and told me it will ship out next week.

The right rear channel was blown. I'm confident that something was wrong with the unit, because it was acting weird from the first time I plugged it in. But it did work for a few hours initially when I got it.

Anyone know if a receiver rear channel would blow on its own? They replaced transistors, resistors and caps (among other things).
They replaced a ton of parts, I got it back and powered it up. Immediately it went into protect (again) and I wasn't able to use it.

They sent me a return shipping label, and it's out for delivery (again) to get fixed. They said only if about 3/4 or more of the boards need to be replaced will the trade it with a new unit.

I anticipate it back soon, and maybe after 8 weeks will have a working unit.

I even tried something as simple as plugging it into the outlet with Nothing connected and it still won't stay on. The repair guy said he tested it for 3+ hours fully loaded and it had no problems. I wonder what the difference is.

I even tried something as simple as plugging it into the outlet with Nothing connected and it still won't stay on. The repair guy said he tested it for 3+ hours fully loaded and it had no problems. I wonder what the difference is.

Likely a 3-5 day trip via UPS that included several 3-6 foot drops. Have them check for loose wiring harnesses with exposed solder joints, loose circuit boards, etc.

At this point they should warranty operation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)