Audio (Volume) Difference between HD and SD.

rjpadron

Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
OK, I have a question, that may have already been answered, but I can not find.

Here is the problem I have. When I watch a HDTV channel the volume appears real LOW and I have to crank up my volume. Problem is when I switch to a SD channel it is REAL loud. This is real annoying.....

Is anyone else having this issue?

If so, is there a fix and or type of surround sound system that does equalize the volume??

OOPS should have stated I have the New VIP-622. I also have a 921 but the volume difference was not as severe...

Last edited:
Not for sure but I think its due to most things if not all on HD channels are broadcast in 5.1. On SD channels they are not so their is going to be a sound diffrence between the two. Thats the only thing that I can think of for right now but I sure when you get a surrond sound system this probally will not be a issue. This is just a guess though maybe someone else will have some input.

I noticed the exact same thing. The receiver should do some leveling of the sound. It'll probably be fixed with new software. At least I hope it will.

Do have surrond sound system.

Poke said:
Not for sure but I think its due to most things if not all on HD channels are broadcast in 5.1. On SD channels they are not so their is going to be a sound diffrence between the two. Thats the only thing that I can think of for right now but I sure when you get a surrond sound system this probally will not be a issue. This is just a guess though maybe someone else will have some input.

New to posting, should have stated:

Have 5.1 Surrond sound system (RCA 650 Watt). About to upgrade, looking at Yamaha. Problem appears when I use my speakers on the TV, Samsung 50" DLP, or the surrond system.

When your watching HD through your receiver you are getting the digital sound 5.1 probably compressed. When you switch back over to SD you are getting analog, not compressed but only 2.0. Like a previous post said. "Just the facts of life."

I have noticed this more with the 622 than I did with my 811, but it may be because I am seeing this on my local HD channels Dish provides. I noticed last night that while watching commercials on my local Fox HD the sound was normal, but while American Idol was on I had to crank the audio up significantly. My ABC HD through Dish was normal through the commercials and through LOST.

Like it was said previously, it is VERY annoying.

A typical DD5.1 audio track's nominal volume level is around 6dB softer/quieter than a stereo audio track.

This can vary, if you tune to a DD channel and you can see the display of your receiver/processor, then it might display something like OFFSET -2dB, which would mean that this particular DD audio track is 2dB lower than the DD standard. I've seen offsets of up to +4dB.

It will not vary by E* or D* receiver. And the same thing holds true for DVDs.

This enables the DD audio track to have a wider dynamic range through your audio system. DD2.0 or stereo tracks have more compressed/narrower dynamic range, so the typical/nominal volume is set higher relative to peak volume.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting tid bit from a broadcaster about the problems they are having nationwide with the HD/DTV transition. Audio is one of them. I assume the Sat providers are having some of the same problems.

Audio levels on OTA is greatly different accross the channels. Some of it has to do with Dolby and others are equipment.

Hopefully, they will get this worked out. Below is from an ABC affiliate.

"You are right, we have had a lot of equipment problems on the HD end. The main reason is that all this technology is new and was rushed to air, so there is major debugging that all the stations across the country are dealing with. It is actually common on the HD end to purchase a piece of equipment, plug it in, and find it does not work reliably, or in some cases at all! That would never happen on the Standard Definition end, as that equipment has been around for years. Not an excuse, just the reality.

I told all the folks from the forum that we were purchasing a new HD encoder from KTECH as our Tandberg unit was not reliable. Well the KETCH came in and the audio portion did not work. That is why Harry is noticing an audio drop. That KTECH unit has been sent back to the factory for replacement. We currently have our tandberg encoder hooked up, with the case removed, and 2 standard oscelating fans from Walmart blowing on it because if the board warms at all, it shuts down!"

I was having this problem when I first got my 622. I've got a 50" DLP Samsung and am running audio through a Yamaha THX RX-1500 (Optical output). In the System Setup / Dolby Digital menu screen, I have selected Dolby Digital / PCM as my receiver decodes both. The 2nd setting on that screen allow you to choose Line or RF. I originally set this to Line and I had the exact same audio problems. When I selected RF, it took care of the problem instantly. According to the 622 manual, you cannot take advantage of 5.1 surround sound in RF mode. However, the digital surround is still there in RF mode. Try this and see if it works for you. I believe this was discussed in an earlier thread.

Craig

RF mode degrades the quality of the DD audio track. The loudest passages above normal volume levels are compressed and limited to 10dB peaks and the maximum dynamic range is limited to 35dB. Probably fine for casual viewing and dialog-centric programs. Not good if you are watching a movie and want to enjoy a decent audio system.

Technically, it isn't a problem. At least not with any provider, be it E*, D*, Charter, Comcast, Adelphia, whomever. A program with a DD5.1 audio track will be quieter at the same volume setting than a stereo/mono/DD2.0 audio track. It is part of the Dolby standard. It is done that way on purpose.

As mentioned above, you can change your E* DD setting from Line to RF, which will make the volume levels between DD and stereo channels closer, at a sacrifice in the audio quality of your DD channel.

No subsequent software update of your Dish receiver is going to change this. At least not on purpose, but Dish is capable of breaking just about anything with a software update, so I guess it could happen.

Last edited:
Talked to a coworker that has DirectTV, and he saw the same problems with the same HD channel so it defineately isn't provider related.

It was interesting last night as we watched American Idol Fox HD from Atlanta. Severe storms were rolling in, so of course the warnings are being flashed across the screen. Funny thing was, this station evidently doesn't have the equipment to do the roll on the bottom of the screen in HD, so they would switch to SD. Not only did the picture degrade during these moments, but the sound would double in volume too!

All thanks for the info will try some of the things listed. Don't mind changing the volume kind of getting used to it. Just trying to keep the WIFE happy. We all know you do that you get to get more toys...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)