Auto switch 1080i to 720P

MIXER99

Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
Hey guys, newbie to dishnetwork AND these forums...please be gentle :)

I've been a DTV guy for years and had their HD service. With their service, the receiver would autodetect the HD resolution as either 1080i or 720P, and my tv would sense the change and respond by displaying the correct picture quality.

With dish, it seems that you either set the receiver as EITHER output of 720P OR 1080i and there is no auto switching if you go from ESPNHD (720P) to my local hds in 1080i.

Am I just missing something or is this a limitation of the 811 receivers? Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

MIXER99 said:
I've been a DTV guy for years and had their HD service. With their service, the receiver would autodetect the HD resolution as either 1080i or 720P, and my tv would sense the change and respond by displaying the correct picture quality.
With dish, it seems that you either set the receiver as EITHER output of 720P OR 1080i and there is no auto switching if you go from ESPNHD (720P) to my local hds in 1080i.
Am I just missing something or is this a limitation of the 811 receivers? Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

With Dish HD receivers, they auto-detect what they are receiving and then either pass it through or convert to the output you have requested. That works best for me, since my HDTV supports 1080i but not 720P. Usually you will want to select the output on the receiver that best matches the native resolution for your HDTV.

I probably wasnt clear or perhaps I just am stupid :)

But on my DTV receiver, it passed the signal as either 720P....then my TV switched the input to 720P (it would blink for about 2 secs while it reset the resolution) or it was pass the signal as 1080i with the same reaction, but obviously only if the next HD channel you were viewing was of a different resolution.

With the DISH 811, on the HDTV setup menu, it MAKES you specify your tv as 1080i, 720P, or 480P under the TV TYPE checklist.

I find this very disappointing that the box does not detect and pass the signal as appropriate thus notifying my TV to switch. I just have it set to 1080i on the 811since the channels, regardless of resolution, look acceptable at that.

Am I missing anything or is this a limitation of the dish 811 vs the directv HD receivers?

MIXER99 said:
Its been requested for years, but they show no sign of adding the feature. For those with Tv's that support both it would be very welcome. My old panasonic tuner (used to use it with the Dish 5000 hdtv adapter) did have this option and option to show 480 as 480 if desired as well. The swich to 8psk forced me to abandon this setup.

Dish's solution places all of the conversion within their receivers. I don't think this is the best solution, as I suspect many TVs have better conversion capabilities than Dish's receivers. For example, say you are comparing a Dish 811 converting a 720p channel to 1080i vs a Sony SXRD set accepting a 720p signal and converting it to 1080i. I'd put my money on the Sony for better image quality.

MIXER99 said:
I probably wasnt clear or perhaps I just am stupid :)
But on my DTV receiver, it passed the signal as either 720P....then my TV switched the input to 720P (it would blink for about 2 secs while it reset the resolution) or it was pass the signal as 1080i with the same reaction, but obviously only if the next HD channel you were viewing was of a different resolution.
With the DISH 811, on the HDTV setup menu, it MAKES you specify your tv as 1080i, 720P, or 480P under the TV TYPE checklist.
I find this very disappointing that the box does not detect and pass the signal as appropriate thus notifying my TV to switch. I just have it set to 1080i on the 811since the channels, regardless of resolution, look acceptable at that.
Am I missing anything or is this a limitation of the dish 811 vs the directv HD receivers?
No, you made yourself clear the first time. What I was trying to say is that not all HDTV sets can handle all the various resolutions. It would be fine to have the auto-detect as an option, but they need to still offer it the way it is done today. Also, with the various HD-Lite resolutions being tried, I doubt that many HDTV sets can handle all of the formats being sent.

DVI will output the program's broadcasted resolution. I know because i have a 720p native projector and nothing looks better on it than ESPNHD. The Projector briefly displays the resolution when autoswitching on the DVI input so it does it all the time.

I think the trend is moving away from multisync (least that was what it was called on computer monitors) a lot of new sets only accept their native resolution on the inputs. Too bad too because a multisync crt should be able to show either resolution without converting.

Kandiru said:
DVI will output the program's broadcasted resolution. I know because i have a 720p native projector and nothing looks better on it than ESPNHD. The Projector briefly displays the resolution when autoswitching on the DVI input so it does it all the time.
Not true. DVI will only output what you select in the menu's. The reason is that some TV's will only do 1080i (like mine) and I watch ESPNHD via DVI (most of the bowl games). In your case, with the setting at 720p, a 720p broadcast will be output at 720p....and so will all the 1080i channels.

Tom Bombadil said:
Actually, I believe nearly all new sets can accept 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i on their inputs.

My Loewe set does 1080i, 480i, 480P, 540p, but not 720P. Then the set displays everything as progressive (including 1080i as 1080p) after internal digital processing.

The Loewe throws up a very nice picture. The 38" model had a limiting resolution of 900-950 lines, so you don't get anything near the 1920 theoretical limit, but you rarely pick up on the loss.

There are a number of CRT-based sets, both direct-view and rear projection, which don't accept 720p, although most current models will directly convert 720p to 1080i. I think almost all of the LCD, DLP, and LCOS rear projection sets accept all formats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts