Autohop Lawsuit update (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
Two new developments in the Autohop lawsuit:

1st: Fox filed for a "preliminary injunction against Dish offering Auto Hop to its subscribers in U.S. District Court in central California on Wednesday, saying that the feature is likely to cause substantial financial harm to Fox, and that Fox is likely to prevail in its claims against Dish." A hearing on at least that part of the lawsuit is set for September 21st. More info here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...fox-autohopbre87n0uk-20120824,0,7158323.story

2nd: Dish still believes that CBS' part of the Autohop suit still belongs in either New York or Denver. "Dish attorney Peter Bix of Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP said a forum selection clause in a retransmission agreement with CBS requires all disputes stemming from its ad-skipping DVR technology be adjudicated in New York or Denver." The source of that is from here: http://www.law360.com/articles/372995/dish-says-cbs-suit-over-ad-skipping-dvr-belongs-in-ny

Of course if anyone can find more news on the Autohp suit, please feel free to post it. The more info we know, the better!:)

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
That first info can be important. It indeed is a very good indicator. If Fox gets an injunction, it would indicate they have enough to make a Judge believe they may prevail. I will be more than surprised if they get one though. The other part of getting an injunction is that they will harmed till the court case is heard, I don't think they are harmed, or can show they are.

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
I don't know... A judge in CA thinks that you can patent a rectangle with rounded corners.

tomcrown1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 20, 2008
San Francisco
I don't know... A judge in CA thinks that you can patent a rectangle with rounded corners.
This is an insult to the nine folks who served on the jury.

Most work in the industry and one owns several Samsung product.

Cnet has a good airtcle on who is on this jury. Also read the verdict.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Two new developments in the Autohop lawsuit:

1st: Fox filed for a "preliminary injunction against Dish offering Auto Hop to its subscribers in U.S. District Court in central California on Wednesday, saying that the feature is likely to cause substantial financial harm to Fox, and that Fox is likely to prevail in its claims against Dish." A hearing on at least that part of the lawsuit is set for September 21st. More info here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...fox-autohopbre87n0uk-20120824,0,7158323.story

I think that on the old software they might have had a chance, but with the new software storing recordings in the user partition, is user selectable and autohop is off by default I think they have a much harder case to make. As now its not really acting much more different then a regular DVR.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Did Dish Network increase the user storage partition of the drive to compensate for the loss of space a user may have as a result of turning PTA feature on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)