Average Ping times

Thorian

Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
I haven’t seen any hard data from anyone supporting or condemning a specific service. I have been searching for info on ping times because latency is more important then throughput IMHO. For example pinging www.google.com results in

Code:
[COLOR=#555a5f]C:\ >ping www.google.com[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#555a5f] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#555a5f]Pinging www.l.google.com [64.233.167.147] with 32 bytes of data:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#555a5f] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#555a5f]Request timed out.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#555a5f] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#555a5f]Ping statistics for 64.233.167.147:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#555a5f]    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#555a5f] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#555a5f]C:\ >[/COLOR]

I am behind a firewall at work so the DNS wouldn’t resolve but if at home I would usually get 25% packet loss with a average ping of 3000ms at supposidly 28.8 kbps.

so what does everyone else get when pinging google over a sat internet connection? I want to know what to expect.
Thanks

Keep in mind that you cannot always rely on ping results that use ICMPs, you should use something like tcpping or mtr, the reason being that alot of routers will usually consider certain ICMP packets lower priority (QoS/ToS) which will skew the numbers, they will throttle and sometimes outright block them (even sometimes changing policies depending on the time of day), thus, (icmp) ping latency is not always representative of actual (tcp/udp/etc) latency, just throwing that out there. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)