Awesome billing error in my favor, and now I'm moving

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Can we stop this thread now PLEASE?! (prepares for flame onslaught... :D )

The OP's questions have been answered, sufficiently, IMO

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok I been out in the hosptial a bit the last couple of weeks and now I back better then ever after surgery . So lets tackle this .

1. would dtv back charge this person. Honestly I dont know based on what I seen the past the answer is gnerally no if they do it generally no more then 1 month back.

2. Consiering I am her I foward on the link to this thread to our audit team to look for regular cstomers with 5 dollar bills. Some times it best to just leave it at there a billing error in my favor and just end it at that.

3. You could hired an indepenting to do the work and then call us up to change the service address or do it online your self.
Glad you're ok stone

Can we stop this thread now PLEASE?! (prepares for flame onslaught... :D )

The OP's questions have been answered, sufficiently, IMO

Thanks!

If we closed all threads when the initial question is answered we wouldn't be much of a discussion forum.

Just think, question, answer, close. Average thread 3 posts :(

So I would venture to say many of the same people who are implying the OP is unethical would also over look billing errors in their favor, whether its $10 or $75.00 a month.

I disagree. It's one thing to discover that you have been paying $65 per month instead of $70....because with incentives, promos etc, you could easily not be aware of the issue, and it would be up to D* to rectify it, but to be paying $5 when you should be paying $70 is outright theft.

The issue isn't so much the original error, it's trying to continue to take advantage of the situation at any cost.

Edited:
MsSarcastic said:
I have purposely not called Directv for the little quirks here and there that I've run into ... I sure as hell am not gonna call and complain! haha)

if I call DTV and arrange the whole moving thing, I'm sure either the CSR will notice something is up

1.) Can I just move my satellite myself? I'll be moving to another apartment complex, so I could just try my best to mimic the angle the dish is pointed from neighbors, and keep tweaking it until I get a signal?

2.) I would be willing to pay an independent contractor to do it if I knew for sure that someone from the real DTV wouldn't be tipped off to look at my account.

could I just say something like my stepdad or whoever works for DTV so I get a discount? Lol.

Yes, I really am a cheapo. Don't hate on me because of it haha. And ethics? HA! it's been 10 months this has been going on and they haven't caught on.

And trying to find justification to perpetuate this on a public forum while dismissing whatever opinion doesn't agree with the OP is asinine.

I disagree. It's one thing to discover that you have been paying $65 per month instead of $70....because with incentives, promos etc, you could easily not be aware of the issue, and it would be up to D* to rectify it, but to be paying $5 when you should be paying $70 is outright theft.

I'm sorry but the right answer is "It depends". The provider is the entity that has hired lawyers to create their fine print masterpieces. One would expect them to be thorough and include terms about billing errors and what the parties rights and duties would be.

What if there is no language on this? You are asking people to set aside their contract and assume what's fair and what isn't. In the law, contract terms are very often established by performance. This occurs when like the original contract doesn't have anything on it and a judge is trying to figure out what happens in a circumstance not covered in the writing.

I am sorry, but in this system when a party pays what's billed in writing, the other party repeatedly accepts what's paid and continues to provide the product or service at that price, a perfectly honest and upstanding citizen has a legitimate right to say that a deal is a deal.

I'm sorry but the right answer is "It depends". The provider is the entity that has hired lawyers to create their fine print masterpieces. One would expect them to be thorough and include terms about billing errors and what the parties rights and duties would be.

What if there is no language on this? You are asking people to set aside their contract and assume what's fair and what isn't. In the law, contract terms are very often established by performance. This occurs when like the original contract doesn't have anything on it and a judge is trying to figure out what happens in a circumstance not covered in the writing.

I am sorry, but in this system when a party pays what's billed in writing, the other party repeatedly accepts what's paid and continues to provide the product or service at that price, a perfectly honest and upstanding citizen has a legitimate right to say that a deal is a deal.

Perhaps, but in this case, the "upstanding citizen" is anything but.

Some of you are so full of it. If you called D* and got a Sunday ticket deal and the CSR accidently doubled your discount I doubt many if any of you would call and correct the error.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aridon said:
Some of you are so full of it. If you called D* and got a Sunday ticket deal and the CSR accidently doubled your discount I doubt many if any of you would call and correct the error.

We're not the ones in question here. Knowingly paying $5/month for 10 months when you know you should be paying $70/month is theft! Plain and simple. Don't bring everyone else into this. We're not the party committing theft or perpetuating a fraud. If the OP can't take the criticism, she should have kept her mouth shut! And before accusing others of being full of it, you should check your own shorts first!

Last edited by a moderator:
If we closed all threads when the initial question is answered we wouldn't be much of a discussion forum.

Just think, question, answer, close. Average thread 3 posts :(

My point is, the questions have been answered and now we're getting into ethics.

I'm not suggesting we close threads because they are answered, but rather because they get off topic.

trinidex said:
My point is, the questions have been answered and now we're getting into ethics.

I'm not suggesting we close threads because they are answered, but rather because they get off topic.

The post has always been about ethics or the lack of. If it bothers you that much, don't read it.

Threads only get closed if the OP suggests it or the thing gets WAY out of hand ....

I don't make those desigins, but I see nothing out of hand.

I don't get why OP seems to think that you can just tell a collection agency that the charges are bogus. A billing error does not change what is supposed to be due. They are allowed to bill you for services you received, and they provided. From the way it sounds you weren't being billed for the programming package itself, but just the recievers.

The only way that 'could' make this reasonable, and you get away with the cheap bill, is if your bill showed you being billed the full amount, and there being a discount applied on the bill.

However something tells me this person could just be trolling.

jwgreen68 said:
We're not the ones in question here. Knowingly paying $5/month for 10 months when you know you should be paying $70/month is theft! Plain and simple. Don't bring everyone else into this. We're not the party committing theft or perpetuating a fraud. If the OP can't take the criticism, she should have kept her mouth shut! And before accusing others of being full of it, you should check your own shorts first!

I don't want to drag this out too much, but she was just asking for help to move her service, why she was so open about this is beyond me. Maybe she was just trying to stir the pot. I am surprised, though, how well she has succeeded in doing that.

Last edited:
I don't want to drag this out too much, but she was just asking for help to move her service, why she was so open about this is beyond me. Maybe she was just trying to stir the pot. I am surprised, though, how well she has succeeded in doing that.

If you go back to the original post, you will see that she was simply here to troll. JMHO, of course!

Status
Please reply by conversation.