Status
Please reply by conversation.

TartFuel

Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Southern California
Hi guys,

Boy can I use your help. Here is the lowdown:

I am trying to get a brand new DirecTV HD dish professionally (free) installed. Without looking at my roof or my exterior walls, said they they will only either drill into the roof or make me pay for a platform to put on the roof. Both things are forbidden by my landlord as my balcony (because it faces east and the landlord doesn't want it seen from the street. I currently have a DishNetwork HD dish that they put on a vent pipe. DirecTV won't replace it on the pole and after reading some forum postings I understand why.

I have asked them to install it on the wall and point it over the roof, but the installation supervisor said, "No." I asked why and was told they only install on the roof and do not have wall mounts. I asked them to order it and I will pay (even though it is in DirecTV's installation FAQ that wall mounts and extension poles that are needed for proper reception are included for free). They refused to order the mount and said that if I buy it myself, they will not use it. It is the roof or nothing!

Now I know this is bunk because I called another installer (same firm, different office) who said they do use wall mounts and didn't understand why the local office wouldn't even order one. He tried to reach them, but no one answers the phones there. I am not in their jurisdiction so they can't do the install themselves.

Could you tell me what mounting bracket and other items I will need to put the new Slimline HD dish on the wall, under the eave, and point it up and over the roof? My wall is a thin stucco over plywood and 2x4 studs.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

P.S. if you are interested in knowing, I finally reached a "resolution manager" at DirecTV who cared to do more then just send emails to the installation guys (which are all ignored), and has had her supervisor email some mucky-muck's office at corporate who I am told will get this handled for me. I have serious doubts, since the installers do not have any accountability and no one can call them directly, even from DirecTV. This way I will be able to be knowledgeable when corporate guy calls me in a couple of days.

Last edited:
Stucco is kinda iffy. I usually avoid it because once you drill into it, water gets behind the layer of stucco and when it freezes, the stucco separates from the wood or whatever is holding it and begins to fall apart. As far as a special mount to mount it to the wall goes, you dont need one. The foot angles so it can be mounted vertically. Just make sure they hit a stud or it may fall off if it gets windy.

Stucco is kinda iffy. I usually avoid it because once you drill into it, water gets behind the layer of stucco and when it freezes, the stucco separates from the wood or whatever is holding it and begins to fall apart. As far as a special mount to mount it to the wall goes, you dont need one. The foot angles so it can be mounted vertically. Just make sure they hit a stud or it may fall off if it gets windy.

My landlord wants us to wall mount or soffit mount (which will not hold an HD dish) instead of roof mount so luckily the stucco problem would be his. Not much rain ever hits just under the eave since there is a tall apartment building blocking any easterly blowing rain against the wall.

I will need something to point the dish OVER the roof. It is a shallow roof, but not flat, so the lack of angle will make pointing the dish up and over the roof without help impossible.

Would this be what I need?: the Dish Mount New slimline Wall SLW-250?
(I would add the link but I haven't made enough posts here to get that privilege yet.)

With out pictures this thread is worthless!

I think you are trying to tell us that you want to mount an HD dish under an eve on the wall then point back over the roof. That sounds like a pretty tall order. Plus there is stucco, that will kill any wall mount for most installers.

With out pictures this thread is worthless!

I think you are trying to tell us that you want to mount an HD dish under an eve on the wall then point back over the roof. That sounds like a pretty tall order. Plus there is stucco, that will kill any wall mount for most installers.

How is that a tall order? it's not the ten minute drill into the roof, but there's an actual wall mount for that purpose so its not like they need to create a whole new apparatus, is it? This is DirecTV's description of what a standard professional installation includes:

Mounting dish on an outside wall or roof within 100 feet of TV.
Mounting dish on a pole (up to 5 feet) if required for line of sight

Please explain exactly how is that different than what I am asking for. BTW, the eave is all of a foot wide.

How is that a tall order? it's not the ten minute drill into the roof, but there's an actual wall mount for that purpose so its not like they need to create a whole new apparatus, is it? This is DirecTV's description of what a standard professional installation includes:

Mounting dish on an outside wall or roof within 100 feet of TV.
Mounting dish on a pole (up to 5 feet) if required for line of sight

Please explain exactly how is that different than what I am asking for. BTW, the eave is all of a foot wide.

Ok tell me what you are talking about Option 1 or Option 2

Attachments

• Option One.jpg
    Option One.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 469
  • Option 2.jpg
    Option 2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 372
Option one is a standard wall mount included in a standard install. Except that you said it is Stucco. Again Stucco is a no go for most install companys.

Option 2 is not standard and would be a custom mount. I dont even know where you would get a mount to do this.

Liquid it's option 2.

Why wouldn't this work: Dish Mount Products ? (Using the New slimline Wall SLW-250 I mentioned earlier today), but face the dish toward the building, while tilted upward toward the satellites

What's the problem with Stucco? If we put the bracket on a stud, shouldn't it hold the 25lb dish. What if I got a piece of wood to attach underneath the bracket? My landlord's permission letter specifically says drilling into the stucco is more than fine by him, it preferable.

Liquid it's option 2.

Why wouldn't this work: Dish Mount Products ? (Using the New slimline Wall SLW-250 I mentioned earlier today), but face the dish toward the building, while tilted upward toward the satellites.

Niether is a standard mount, and looking at either one I would not use them. They both do not look like they would spread the wind load that a KA/KU would apply.

What's the problem with Stucco? If we put the bracket on a stud, shouldn't it hold the 25lb dish. What if I got a piece of wood to attach underneath the bracket? My landlord's permission letter specifically says drilling into the stucco is more than fine by him, it preferable.

The problem is that once you start adding holes in stucco, you start the eventual failure of the wall. I am sure if you do some searches you will see the damage that a dish mounted to stucco does. Now add the fact that you want to use some non-standard mount, that will place a larger wind load, and you will see why no installer wants to touch it. I am sure if you landloard saw what a dish does to stucco, he would tell you no freaking way on those mounts.

If you want this so badly, why do you mount it yourself? I am sure you can find a local retailer around to come and point a dish for you and install the rest of it. Inform them that you would sign a form releasing them from all liability and damage costs to the building you don't own.

You got to understand that a tech working for a large installation company has rules he has to follow or he could possibly be charged back more than what he made to come and spend half a day with you. Apartment installs like yours are way more of a pain than what they get paid to do. If they don't have line of sight to the southern sky, on an apartment you are usually out of luck - unless YOU take some responsibility and create the damage claim so you can have TV.

It's a pretty big dish - picks up a lot of wind so make sure your mount is SOLID man - enough to do chin ups on or you will be sorry when the first 50mph wind gust comes through

good luck -

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts