Back Button not working right>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Coughlin

Original poster
Oct 12, 2003
OK what is the deal with the back button????? I have to hit it twice to go back to the previous page all the time?? I do not have this problem with other sites like AVS. I have also tried this on several computers and get the same results!

Are you clicking the back button after posting a message?

If yes this is because after you post a message it tries forwarding you to the new message you just posted.

If not then I have no idea and would suggest clearing your cache. :)

Scott,

I thought it was just me, but I'm having the same problem. Double checked and it's only to your site. Also pages are loading a lot slower than normal.

Hmm. Thats odd.

No changes have been made in weeks. And yes the site is slow, the ISP is working on fixing that though.

I will check into the back button issue. (Thats a wierd one!) :D

Scott,

Not sure if this will help you but it seems the back button issue only occurs when a user is logged on to the site.

Thanks!

Please let me know what browser and operating systems you are using.

I have not made any changes to the system so I am stumped.

I'm using Win2000 with IE 6 on one machine and Win XP Pro with IE 6 on the other.

One other thing I notice...in IE 6, you can put your cursor over the back button to read pop up text (like an alt tag) where you will be taken when you click the back button. After clicking on a thread from the sat guys home page and getting the thread page displayed, putting the cursor over the back button reveals the words "Back to 404 Not Found". If you click the back button then, the page seems to refresh but still shows the thread you had previously selected. If you highlight the back button again, then you'll see the page you were trying to get back to and clicking it will take you there.

Still searching.

Nothing had changed on the site in over 2 weeks (closer to 3 weeks now)

Does logging in and out make a difference? Maybe a bad cookie?

Still stumped. :(

Scott...just wanted to be sure that you read this...

One other thing I notice...in IE 6, you can put your cursor over the back button to read pop up text (like an alt tag) where you will be taken when you click the back button. After clicking on a thread from the sat guys home page and getting the thread page displayed, putting the cursor over the back button reveals the words "Back to 404 Not Found". If you click the back button then, the page seems to refresh but still shows the thread you had previously selected. If you highlight the back button again, then you'll see the page you were trying to get back to and clicking it will take you there.

Scott,

I have been meaning to PM you about this for quite awhile, but I haven't had the time to really look into a solution or verify everything, but here is what I am pretty sure of.

This has been going on for quite awhile. At least since I first logged on to this forum. A month or two?

IE6 requires 2 back button clicks on win2000
IE5.5 requires 3 back button clicks on win2000 and winME

on IE5.5, the zone (in the lower left corner) says "Unknown Zone (Mixed)"

I *think* it may have something to do with the <link> tags at the head of the page. Might want to remove those and see what happens. Why are they there?

Good luck, wish I had time to help you further

Back button works normally for me
using Win2k+IE5 and Win98+IE5&IE6

This also may be affected by your security settings. Just a guess.

It has something to do with IE getting confused about what "Zone" it is in, I think

DVDDAD said:
I tossed my cookies, I mean I deleted the two cookies I found and it did not resolve the issue.

Scott's son, however, may be tossing his cookies

This used to happen to me. I believe it was because of the Time setting I chose in my profile.

If you choose one of the settings that "synchronize with your computer time," then it happens.

-- Kirk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts