Backup To External Hard Drive. Is It Possible?

legends92

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Valencia, CA
I just purchased a 2TB External hard drive to connect to my 622. Is it possible to make a backup of a recording from the receiver to the external hard drive? I went to Dish’s website and the only information I found is how to transfer recordings from the receiver to external hard drive.

There is no fee for the 622, but otherwise yes, no ability to make copies, just transfer.

I guess in a pinch, you could take the drive after moving the recordings to it, and clone it to another drive with a pc and cloning software that doesn't care about format, if you really want a "backup".

I guess in a pinch, you could take the drive after moving the recordings to it, and clone it to another drive with a pc and cloning software that doesn't care about format, if you really want a "backup".

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought the drive to free up space and have backups of recordings just in case the internal drive goes bad. It's kind of a bummer Dish doesn't let you do backups.

That's actually not a bad idea. Could use a Linux live distro and perform this easily using dd. Would probably make the most sense after filling an EHD, and simply clone it to another EHD of the same size.

Someone should test a cloned EHD to see if the receiver still recognizes it. I don't see why it shouldn't.

Old news...2TB is now supported on most, if not all models now.

EDIT: I'm too slow on the draw...didn't see the 2nd page.

I let the receiver format my blank/new disk, and then used Linux to rsync the DishArc folders. This has two main advantages over dd; you don't have to have the same size drives and you won't be copying empty sectors. You can also use cp or drag/drop in a gui, but this seems to mess up the ownership and require more fiddling to fix it (via chown).

I think that you can just use the simple clone no matter whether it's a MS or Linux machine. It's just making a copy of a drive as long as they are the same size.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)