Bad Customers

Dish doesnt give its techs enough grey time to show the customer how to use the system because E went from focusing on customer service at the frontline to getting installs done in bulk.

I wish there was a way to bypass the front line CSR's when calling for technical support. I'm more of a tech savvy person who goes through all of the usual diagnostic procedures before calling for help. But then I have to go through everthing again with the CSR before getting transferred to the next level where a non script reader can help.

With all the problems the 522 had, if it wasn't for this web site sight I would have dropped Dish within the first three months of service. When complaining about common problems, like audio hickups, I would get the same old line like "I've never heard of this problem before..." After a couple of receiver replacements and several cable adjustment I found this site and found out that most people had the same problems.

Now, whenever a new glitch appears I check this message board and confirm that I'm not the only one seeing the glitch -- usually due to a software update. Then I call support just to log that there is a problem to help the issue log get high enough for Dish to investigate.

The worst call I had was a lady yelling a screaming about her service, I finally got a word in to ask what the problem is: "If I don't pay the bill you turn off my service" so I want to cancel my service. Some People.

I wish there was a way to bypass the front line CSR's when calling for technical support. I'm more of a tech savvy person who goes through all of the usual diagnostic procedures before calling for help. But then I have to go through everthing again with the CSR before getting transferred to the next level where a non script reader can help.

I agree! I always run through all the usual diagnostics first. I also have a 522 (my fourth one) so am quite familiar with the usual issues. It is quite frustrating to call customer service to go through the automated menu system, sitting on hold for several minutes then finally getting a rep that may or may not speak English as their primary language. I then explain my problem and what I have already done to diagnose and the CSR insists that I go through everything again. Finally, 30 minutes or more later, the CSR agrees the receiver is faulty and needs to be replaced, but I will lose all my saved programs (which I already knew before placing the call), the new receiver will not arrive for 3-5 business days and I will be charged a replacement fee when it arrives. I also must package the old receiver and bring it to a UPS store to return it. I ask to speak to a supervisor since this is the nth time this has happened, but the supervisor is not available. I insist, the CSR eventually comes back and offers to waive the replacement fee.

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident. This scenario has played out three times almost identically. I tend to be a patient person, but this really is aggrevating. I do not blame the CSR - and when I get angry, I make sure the CSR knows my frustration is not with them, but rather with the "system".

The most frustrating part is that I am out of service for a minimum of 10% of the month, I have lost all my recorded programs (which Dish provides no means to save in order to avoid this) and spent a significant amount of my valuable time attempting to correct this problem. At best, all I get is a "sorry your having problems" - no offer of compensation, no offer to reduce my bill for the lost service time, etc.

I feel for the CSR's and can certainly understand why so many have such a bad attitude, but they also need to understand what the customer has had to endure - especially if the customer has had bad experiences in the past. This is an area that Dish (and many other companies) really needs to work on!

My favorite.
I am a Subcontractor for a local Dish retailer.
Customer Calls our shop yelling and screaming at our poor receptionist using 4 letter words and says searching for Sat
signal and has been going on for a week and wants a week credit, we cant give that to them we are a retailer.

. SO I go out check out all the irds. Take the birdog out to the dish, wheres the damn dish, I cant find it anywhere!!!! I knew I put it on the roof!!! The damn Dish is gone.

Turns out roofer came put a new roof on, threw the dish 1000 in the dumpster with the old shingles and the tv antenna took off and left.

customer was on vacation when it happened. Here's the kicker, the customer wanted me to install and new dish 1000 and tv antenna on my dime , because I did the original install. they would cancel if I did not!! I told the customer you are dreaming quoted 375 for a new winegard , tripod, and dish 100 and all cabling. Customer told me to get the hell out of their house.
... Told the boss, he fell out out of his chair laughing...

They then called the boss and used 4 letter words at him and threatened him to cancel, he would lose the commission then. The boss told them if the cancelled during their contract, We would bill them 300 bucks for early cancellation, and the customer just about sh*t a brick.

Needles to say i billed the roofing company $500 and a few mexicans got sent back to Mexico!!!

Last edited:
I agree! I always run through all the usual diagnostics first. I also have a 522 (my fourth one) so am quite familiar with the usual issues....
Oh yea. I'm very familiar with the process and frustration you described. I'm on my 8th or 9th 522 (I lost count). Haven't paid for shipping yet.

The sad thing is only a couple of them actually had a hardware problem. They replaced the unit about five times during the first few months of service thinking the glitches were hardware related. I also feel sorry for the poor installer who came out three times because DISH blamed the problems with the 522 on the installation. The last time he came out he said he was never going to install another 522 again.

My favorite.
Turns out roofer came put a new roof on, threw the dish 1000 in the dumpster with the old shingles and the tv antenna took off and left....
That was hilarious, including the (illigal) Mexicans comment.:haha :haha

Before we had our roof re-shingled I moved our dish antenna and mounted it to the side of the house because I didn't want the roofers messing with it. Glad I did, especially after reading this story.

I learned long ago that, "You can't reason with unreasonable people". However, E* has to bear major responsibilty for all the confusion. When a customer calls and a CSR wants to know the receiver's serial number, or what the software version is, etc. etc., the "average" customer is going to be confused and frustrated. E* does a lousy job (IMHO) thru their installers of explaining how the system works. Forget about telling the customer to read the manual. Most Americans want a simple plug-and-play system. They don't want to reprogram their remote, or check the switches, or press a dozen buttons to find out if the receiver is connected to a phone line. The CSRs have a hapless job. As for CS being sent oversees, how many Americans would want to put up with constant crap for 8 hours from customers?

That was hilarious, including the (illigal) Mexicans comment.:haha :haha

Before we had our roof re-shingled I moved our dish antenna and mounted it to the side of the house because I didn't want the roofers messing with it. Glad I did, especially after reading this story.

wouldn't someone notice the dish is gone??

SO I go out check out all the irds. Take the birdog out to the dish, wheres the damn dish, I cant find it anywhere!!!! I knew I put it on the roof!!! The damn Dish is gone.
Turns out roofer came put a new roof on, threw the dish 1000 in the dumpster with the old shingles and the tv antenna took off and left.

Thats sad... looking to see if the dish is still on the roof should be no different than checking to see if an unworking vacuum cleaner is plugged in. I can see it now. Because of this when someone calls E* tech support one of the first standard questions the TSR asks is if the customer went out to check that the dish is still there. Duh!!!

Thats sad... looking to see if the dish is still on the roof should be no different than checking to see if an unworking vacuum cleaner is plugged in. I can see it now. Because of this when someone calls E* tech support one of the first standard questions the TSR asks is if the customer went out to check that the dish is still there. Duh!!!

I'll bet there are plenty of people who have no clue how satellite service works. They probably equate it to the cable service they used to have and figure that if "the black box thing" has a light on it should work.

I'll bet there are plenty of people who have no clue how satellite service works. They probably equate it to the cable service they used to have and figure that if "the black box thing" has a light on it should work.

True.... but when someone signs up for something called the Dish Network. One would assume that they know what a dish is. Unless perhaps they think its television that only works while eating dinner.

I had a customer tell me once that I can put the dish anywhere and it would work fine, He even told me I could point the dish north or west and that it will work fine!!!!!

Owned 942 to Owned 622 at what cost?

Educate me please