Bad experiences with blackouts?

mvblair

Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Dayton, OH
I'm extremely frustrated. I am a new Dish Network customer and my experience so far has been awful. I bought Dish Network mostly because I want to watch basketball, especially the Cleveland Cavaliers (although my wife will certainly enjoy some of the other channels). Living just a few hours south of Cleveland, you'd think I'd be able to watch the games.

Unfortunately, even though I bought the Multi Sports Package, I cannot watch tonight's game, even though it is being broadcast on 2 channels that I have (CSBA, FSOH). The game is, on both channels, blacked out. Is this going to be my experience for most of the Cleveland Cavaliers games?

Even more unfortunate is the fact that all four of the East coast games tonight are blacked out on all the different channels that I get.

I'm very upset because watching basketball is one of the reasons I bought Dish Network. Now, after two different agents told me before I got Dish Network that I could, it appears that I won't be able to watch any NBA games unless they are on ESPN.

What gives? Is this going to be a common occurrence? What percentage of Cleveland Cavaliers games can I expect to watch this basketball season?

Sorry for the rant, gang. I hate to be a new poster ranting, but I'm really wondering what I should be expecting.

--Matt

Who is your team aligned to your zip? It seems to me you need to start there. I thought all pro teams claim an area but maybe not. Buying the sports pack doesn't get you much. All pro sports are blacked out unless local. In my case I have Directv. I have the sports pack to catch college sports. But I also use it to watch the games on the local teams Sports Channel when I purchase sport packages like MLB EI, NHL CI and ESPN Gameplan. I watch STO alot to check out the Indians.

In the case of the ESPN Gameplan I can watch games in HD on the sports channels not available in Gameplan. With MLBEI I can watch pre-game to gametime to post game without changing channels.

If you watch to the Cavs you may want to get NBA League pass if your Zip is not in there service area. Call and raise issue with what you were sold on.

Yeah, Dayton belongs to the Cincinnati region. I ordered the Multi Sports Package because that had all the Fox Sports channels, so I figured I could catch the Cavs on any of those channels if it wasn't on Fox Sports Ohio.

I'm guessing that the agents I spoke with before I got Dish Network confused me (or I got confused) about the blackout restrictions.

It seems silly that somebody in Dayton can't watch the game in Cleveland. There's no way I can drive up to Cleveland to go to the game, which I'm sure FSOH and Dish Network know, so why not broadcast the game to people who have the channel? All of the NBA games were blacked out, so I couldn't watch a single game.

It's really disappointing and frustrating.

The NBA League Pass is ridiculously expensive, as CurryTech joked. I think it's almost $200. Anybody want to buy a kidney?

Hasn't it been pointed out that Dish/Direct/Cable make NO decisions regarding blackouts? That they're just following "orders" from the leagues (NBA/NFL/NHL/etc)?

My zip code is 45429. I'm really far from Cleveland, so why would my games be blacked out?

I understand that it might be FSOH that is blacking out the games. It just frustrates me that I was mislead when I first contacted the agents.

But, give it to me straight up, guys: am I going to be able to watch any NBA games on the Multi Sports Package (which has the Fox Sports and Comcast regional sports channels)?

But this is the Dish forum, not directv. When I run an address in Dayton I get
FSN Cincy and Big10 as the RSN's they get

But, give it to me straight up, guys: am I going to be able to watch any NBA games on the Multi Sports Package (which has the Fox Sports and Comcast regional sports channels)?

No you will not, unless NBA games appear on what is defined as your "local" regional sports network(s).

The Multi-Sports Pack blacks out any professional sporting events which are not shown on your local RSNs. You can figure out which local RSNs you are supposed to be receiving by going to:

Satellite TV and HD Satellite TV Packages - DISH Network

Enter your zip code and it will spit out your local channels, including which RSNs you are supposed to get. Doing this for the zip code you gave shows your local RSNs are FS Cincinnati and Big Ten Network. Unless Cavs games are shown on one of those two networks, you WILL NOT get them.

Your only two options at the zip code you provided, as someone else mentioned, are to either purchase NBA League Pass or "move", which has been covered elsewhere on this site.

Going further, this also applies to the NHL and MLB. You will only get games in those pro sports if they are shown on FS Cincinnati. This probably means the Reds instead of the Indians for you, for example.

The Multi-Sports Pack is really for college football and basketball, to be honest.

But what is weird in some areas you can get more than one team if you add the multi-sports pack

example is Iowa. You get 6 MLB teams when you add the multi-sports pack because those teams claim that area. I dont know if the NBA is the same

Thanks for all your help, gang. It sounds like I'm pretty much out of luck. I really wish I'd gone with DirectTV. Honestly though, the rest of it is fine. The quality is great, the price is cheap, and my wife likes it. I just want to watch the Cavs!

I think what's most frustrating is the fact that my Dad, who lives 15 minutes north of me and has Time Warner Cable, saw the game and my coworker, who lives 30 minutes south of me and has Cincinnati Bell Cable, saw the game too. Both of them had it on FSOH. Argh!

I called Dish Network and canceled the service. I spent about an hour on the phone before (again). After explaining the situation over a couple of times, I said that I just didn't think it was fair that they told me I could get more Cleveland Cavaliers games on DN than on cable if they knew most of the games would be blacked out. I finally got to somebody who told me that the only Cavs games I could see this year would be on ESPN, ESPN2, or ABC.

Anyhow, besides the time and the re-explanations, they were pretty cool about it. They canceled my contract and said I wouldn't owe anything since I had it for only 2 days. I just have to send the equipment bag in the boxes that they're sending. Fortunately, I still have all the equipment, booklets, and original boxes. I'm pretty sure I can remove the lens from the dish, too.

Other than not getting Cavs games, I have to say that Dish Network was pretty good (oh, except for the fact that I my local channels weren't coming in during the two evenings). The monthly package was cheap and the installation wasn't that bad. We'll see how the shipping back goes.

Now I'm going to start investigating my other options, including DirectTV. If they really do have Fox Sports Ohio not blacked out for the Dayton area, like Warlock said, I'll jump on it!

I ran your zip you posted above and you DO get the Cavs with D*
The 45429 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or FAMILIAR or above):

FSN Ohio (Ch. 660) - HD Available
# Cleveland Cavaliers (HD Available)
# Columbus Blue Jackets (HD Available)

FSN Cincinnati (Ch. 661) - HD Available
# Columbus Blue Jackets (HD Available)
# Reds (HD Available)

so the only team you wouldnt get is the Indians but you would get the other Ohio teams

I ran your zip you posted above and you DO get the Cavs with D*

so the only team you wouldnt get is the Indians but you would get the other Ohio teams
That's fantastic news, man. I'm going to give DirectTV a buzz tonight. I've got to watch one last season with LeBron before he bolts for greener pastures. :)

Thanks a lot for your help, Ice and others. If you have other suggestions or tips, I'd love to hear them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts