Bad location in Phoenix - suggestions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Baelzar

Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
The Moon
My mother lives right in the warm embrace of a bunch of damn hills in the Moon Valley area of Phoenix.

Almost directly South about 19 miles away are the transmitters.

Any ideas? I know she can legally put up a 30' pole + antenna, but her HOA won't like it.

I was also looking at Dish network - all she's really after is the local channels in HD on 4 tvs.

Thanks in advance.

screenshot-www receptionmaps com 2016-02-24 11-12-35.png

Does this report deal with line of sight issues?
Seen in the Path column. Does not account for buildings and trees or any other local signal obstructions.

A Winegard HD7694P VHF-HI/UHF HDTV Antenna aimed straight south should do it .

For a performance improvement a dual antenna setup:
30-2425 - HDTV 4 Bay Fringe UHF Bowtie Television Antenna
30-2475 - Fringe Directional Antenna VHF-Hi
(same as I use except they are 90 degrees to one another)
2425 above the 2475 with a U/V antenna joiner
Use equal length coax to each antenna.
Use quality RG-6 and connectors.
With any antenna, it may be beneficial to test location by moving E/W/N/S a bit to find a 'sweet spot'
If you can see the peak the signals are coming over it may help to tilt the antenna up towards it.
Lets see what others suggest (?)

It looks like some sort of "attic antenna" will do fine then - all the channels she wants are in the green/yellow. Any recommendations for an antenna? I guess It will be mounted outside, either on the side of the house or perhaps a tree (those useless tall palm trees might come in handy after all!).

While there are a lot of two-edge scenarios, most of the power figures are within range (<75dBm). I would recommend a directional antenna as you may find that you need to point to one side or the other of the hill to get optimal performance. Multipath (bouncing off the hill to the west) seems likely to be an issue so a narrow reception angle is probably important (a high front-to-back ratio probably won't hurt either).

I wouldn't consider mounting in a tree. Moving about in a breeze isn't recommended. Once the sweet spot is found, rigid mounting is required.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)