Be Cautious, Observant, and Adamant When Requesting 129 Tweak... (Billing Issues)

FCom911

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Be cautious, observant, and adamant when requesting a 129 tweak... check with the installer prior to their initiating service, confirm on the 'trip ticket', it is at 'no charge'...

I say this as the CSR said 'no charge', but the installer's ticket showed a charge for services to the customer... the installer and I told the CSR of this error and, after an hour, was supposedly taken care of, but it showed up again.

I then went to Dish Corp Exec Services and had it resolved there... we'll see... this issue, as to reliance of CSR actions is irritating and disrespectful, undermining Dish's reputation, even further.

These billing issues and misrepresentations MUST STOP!

Be cautious, observant, and adamant when requesting a 129 tweak... check with the installer prior to their initiating service, confirm on the 'trip ticket', it is at 'no charge'...

I say this as the CSR said 'no charge', but the installer's ticket showed a charge for services to the customer... the installer and I told the CSR of this error and, after an hour, was supposedly taken care of, but it showed up again.

I then went to Dish Corp Exec Services and had it resolved there... we'll see... this issue, as to reliance of CSR actions is irritating and disrespectful, undermining Dish's reputation, even further.

These billing issues and misrepresentations MUST STOP!

not sure what you mean about a free "129 tweak". what the hell is that?

a truck roll by a tech is not FREE, if the install is outside of the 90 day technician warranty.

if dish chooses to "waive" the service cost fee to you - great i guess, thats between you and them, the tech should have nothing to do with it.

what should ALSO stop is customers expecting techs/Dish to keep a system working properly "forever" for "free".

not sure what you mean about a free "129 tweak". what the hell is that?

a truck roll by a tech is not FREE, if the install is outside of the 90 day technician warranty.

if dish chooses to "waive" the service cost fee to you - great i guess, thats between you and them, the tech should have nothing to do with it.

what should ALSO stop is customers expecting techs/Dish to keep a system working properly "forever" for "free".

TopCat, I understand what you're saying, but with that in mind please consider, I am an HD Only client, and furthermore, HD is my bread and butter, so to say...

a.) It shouldn't cost me a dime for a service call, in regards to 129's 'Signal Loss', and specific operational health issues. 129 has a known loss 12 solar panels, is not in a stable orbit, and is operating on the edge of its abilities, etc...

b.) Dish CSR specifically stated, they were going to send someone out... given 129's health, at aboslutely 'no cost to me', to tweak (re-aim) and install a 1000.2.

c.) Charging customers for 'known' 129 issues is simply fraud, churn, what ever you want to call it...

My theory, if you want to keep me as a client; I lease the equipment, therefor you have the obligation to make sure all is well on your end, before you even consider billing me or any other customer (billing must be valid charges). Keeping your word is paramount. This is not a car, and is understood not to be as such. My liabilities are limited under these circumstances.

Ultimately, I just want to be treated honestly, fairly, and valued Dish's client.

My heads-up goes out to those experiencing 129 issues, sighting caution as to what Dish does in an attempt to resolve these issues. Billing customers to sweeten 129's signal, to their best ability, is in their interests, not mine, as the bird is simply failing. That's not my problem, it's there's.

TopCat, I understand what you're saying, but with that in mind please consider, I am an HD Only client, and furthermore, HD is my bread and butter, so to say...

a.) It shouldn't cost me a dime for a service call, in regards to 129's 'Signal Loss', and specific operational health issues. 129 has a known loss 12 solar panels, is not in a stable orbit, and is operating on the edge of its abilities, etc...

b.) Dish CSR specifically stated, they were going to send someone out... given 129's health, at aboslutely 'no cost to me', to tweak (re-aim) and install a 1000.2.

c.) Charging customers for 'known' 129 issues is simply fraud, churn, what ever you want to call it...

My theory, if you want to keep me as a client; I lease the equipment, therefor you have the obligation to make sure all is well on your end, before you even consider billing me or any other customer (billing must be valid charges). Keeping your word is paramount. This is not a car, and is understood not to be as such. My liabilities are limited under these circumstances.

Ultimately, I just want to be treated honestly, fairly, and valued Dish's client.

My heads-up goes out to those experiencing 129 issues, sighting caution as to what Dish does in an attempt to resolve these issues. Billing customers to sweeten 129's signal, to their best ability, is in their interests, not mine, as the bird is simply failing. That's not my problem, it's there's.

I agree. It also should be noted that we do pay a lot of money for their service which if they can not give us then it should be up to them to fix it. It is their SATS and Dishes and they should fix them so we can get the service we pay for. Please do not tell me we should have DHPP because that is ridiculous. WE already pay upfront money to lease recievers then another 7 dollars a month per HD reciever on top of that. A lot of us pay 100 dollars or more for service. Service that should work. I think all DISH repeaks should be free. My opinion but I believe strongly in it especially with the 129 issue as it is a piece of junk and dying quickly.

What should also stop is DISH expecting customers to continue to pay for programming they know they can't provide, because their satellite is falling out of the sky.

DISH is not being fair to their techs either. The techs take the upfront swipes from customer's when they're told that nothing can be done. DISH doesn't mind paying what $100 for a truck roll on a "tweaking" call, but God forbid the customer asks for $20 off their bill till the sat is replaced...how does that make $ sense.

I agree with all the sentiments expressed. However, it seems that you are really displeased with your Dish service. If any company isn't treating you as you think you should be, then stop giving that company your money and take advantage of what Cable, the AT&T Uverse, Verizon FiOS, and, where several displeased Dish customers have gone, Direct TV have to offer. Dish offers a warranty for $5 per month. Yes, a service call will cost $25, but that is the way Dish does things, and if we don't like, we should do as we do in other situations and take our business elsewhere. That really is the only way Dish is going to change. Now, please, don't post the many reasons why, although you are upset with Dish, you really don't want to leave Dish because you like this and that about the Dish boxes and this and that about Dish. If you are still giving Dish your money, then you really can't be an dissatisfied customer.

I agree with all the sentiments expressed. However, it seems that you are really displeased with your Dish service. If any company isn't treating you as you think you should be, then stop giving that company your money and take advantage of what Cable, the AT&T Uverse, Verizon FiOS, and, where several displeased Dish customers have gone, Direct TV have to offer. Dish offers a warranty for $5 per month. Yes, a service call will cost $25, but that is the way Dish does things, and if we don't like, we should do as we do in other situations and take our business elsewhere. That really is the only way Dish is going to change. Now, please, don't post the many reasons why, although you are upset with Dish, you really don't want to leave Dish because you like this and that about the Dish boxes and this and that about Dish. If you are still giving Dish your money, then you really can't be an dissatisfied customer.

:clap:bow:clap

No service is perfect and they all have their flaws. Pointing out where a service has theirs does not mean I want to switch, necessarily. There is also a thing called a contract which I am in till February. Some of us just want was is fair and not to be gouged to death over something that is a problem with their service. By the way we are allowed to post our thoughts on this board so dont tell me not too. Are you from DBS TALK.:p

Last edited:
I agree with all the sentiments expressed. However...

No, one's perfect, and I'm not the first to say that, but what Dish has been doing, regarding 129 issues, is unethical... claiming they have no idea what has been occurring, wasting clients time with needless misrepresentations, and of all things, charging for 129 realignment... well, that's just simply stealing.

All I can do, in these matters, is be vigilant as well as adamant... you're even suggesting, as a consumer, what I'm asking for is irresponsible, in some way... I should simply go away...? No right's of opposition and voicing disproval, pertaining to misrepresentation and gouging...?

KAB, I'm disappointed in you reaction to this matter. You've appeared to maintain a level head through most of these things... yet, you make it appear, consumers who stand up for their rights, especially in this matter, are wrong and should seek services elsewhere...?

There are little options for me, regarding other providers... Charter has just a handful of HD, and their prices are ridiculous, no area FiOS, leaving me with DirecTV. Hands down, Dish beats DirecTV, package for package, price for price (unless you're a sports freak).

As an 'HD Only' client + HBO, MAX, SHO, Starz, I'm O.K. where I am. It would be foolish for me to leave for DirecTV, as I would incur an increase, somewhere around $40-50 per month ($480-$600 per year).

Further more, Dish, being the underdog of sorts, pushes them to excel and create new services, new technology (i.e.,: HD Turbo with 1080p).

Bottom line, it isn't right for anyone to say one thing, and do another... period. Especially when it comes down to money.

That was the sole purpose of the post. To enlighten and empower us as consumers. If you find fault with that, speak, but don't try to shut down the truth.

No, one's perfect, and I'm not the first to say that, but what Dish has been doing, regarding 129 issues, isn't ethical... claiming they have no idea what has been occurring, wasting clients time with needless misrepresentations, and of all things, charging for 129 realignment... well, that's just simply stealing.

All I can do, in these matters is, be vigilant as well as adamant... you even suggest, as a consumer, what I'm asking for is irresponsible, in some way...?

KAB, I'm disappointed in you reaction to this matter. You've appeared to maintain a level head through most of these things... yet, you make it appear, consumers who stand up for their rights, especially in this matter, are wrong and should seek services elsewhere...?

There are little options for me, regarding other providers... Charter has just a handful of HD, and their prices are ridiculous, no area FiOS, leaving me with DirecTV. Hands down, Dish beats DirecTV, package for package, price for price (unless you're a sports freak).

As an 'HD Only' client + HBO, MAX, SHO, Starz, I'm O.K. where I am. It would be foolish for me to leave for DirecTV, as I would incur an increase, somewhere around $40-50 per month ($480-$600 per year).

Further more, Dish, being the underdog of sorts, pushes them to excel and create new services, new technology (i.e.,: HD Turbo with 1080p).

Bottom line, it isn't right for anyone to say one thing, and do another... period. Especially when it comes down to money.

That was the sole purpose of the post.

129 works, yes it is weak but it is not the end of the world. You've got it fixed now and the charges removed. Enjoy your programming!

Did you not get it resolved? It's happened to a lot of us. It happens EVERYWHERE, not with just TV providers. Going back to your original post, I do not acknowledge any misrepresentation as you vigilantly put it. It was a communication breakdown, a mistake...not a corporate effort to screw you or anybody else. You made an inference about Dish policy that at least Vegas and I disagreed with.

As being an independent contractor for Dish Network I know of the troubles one can have with DISH as we have worked for them for many years. Dish Network though does not own the dishes on your house that is your property, as far as being charged up front a fee. You must have terrible credit or you don't have a credit card, that's $149.99 up front for just a 311 receiver. Now as far as the 129 satellite problem goes, if your an HD Only customer why not just use a DISH 500 to get the 110/119 and use a DISH 300 to shoot right at the 129 while using a switch to combine the two signals. That way you get your 110/119 at a high signal and your 129 or 62.5 at the highest you can get because they are separate dishes. I am sorry you had issues with the "Service Call" price but if you lived closer it would have only been $50 to roll out on the job plus whatever the part cost. Dish Network automatically charges $99 whether or not the Technician fixes the problem or just says he couldn't find the house. While I agree with you on the way they handle things are improper ethically. I have to agree with the others, if you do not like the service then change providers please, as we don't want the forums full of people who needs to call the Whaaambulance or buy some Cry-Fries and a Whaaaburger. Seriously grow up and change the providers if your not happy.

Forget it... But when the day comes that you end up spending close to 3 and a half hours, talking to half a dozen CSRs, in an attempt to correct a billing issue, that you're still unsure is corrected... don't whine.

That's on top of the countless hours of trying to understand why 129 kept dropping signals, and what I was told... the service calls, etc...

You call it whining... I call it consumer advocacy.

I never once accused an installer of improper servicing, nor inappropriate behavior. Why the gentlemen, who claims he is an installer, rambling about bad credit, etc... your rant is simply ridiculous and unrelated... as to credit worthiness, it's usually those who are un-credit worthy, that usually bring the matter up... and its 61.5, not 62.5, Mr. Installer.

To answer all your questions pertaining to 129 issues resolved... no... I still experience drops, fades, pixelation, etc... just not as aggressive as prior...

I don't know if my billing issue is resolved... they keep telling me so, but I've been told that before, over, and over... we'll just have to wait and see... I just don't like my credit card to be used as a 'float' vehicle, by a service provider.

To those who understood the post, thanks... and to those who wish to always find fault (and take fanboy posturing)... good luck.

Last edited:
Somebody else demanding something for nuttin' - it only serves to raise all our bills.

Thank you very much!

Somebody else demanding something for nuttin' - it only serves to raise all our bills.

Thank you very much!

I agree with FCOM. I just had a free repoint of 129 and gained 15-20 points. It is not demanding something for nothing it is called getting what you pay for and GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. All you people ganging up on FCOM are the ones with the problem. I am now happy since I should not get dropouts on HD channels on a SUNNY DAY. That was not acceptable and DISH fixed it for free like they should have. :mad:

As being an independent contractor for Dish Network I know of the troubles one can have with DISH as we have worked for them for many years. Dish Network though does not own the dishes on your house that is your property, as far as being charged up front a fee. You must have terrible credit or you don't have a credit card, that's $149.99 up front for just a 311 receiver. Now as far as the 129 satellite problem goes, if your an HD Only customer why not just use a DISH 500 to get the 110/119 and use a DISH 300 to shoot right at the 129 while using a switch to combine the two signals. That way you get your 110/119 at a high signal and your 129 or 62.5 at the highest you can get because they are separate dishes. I am sorry you had issues with the "Service Call" price but if you lived closer it would have only been $50 to roll out on the job plus whatever the part cost. Dish Network automatically charges $99 whether or not the Technician fixes the problem or just says he couldn't find the house. While I agree with you on the way they handle things are improper ethically. I have to agree with the others, if you do not like the service then change providers please, as we don't want the forums full of people who needs to call the Whaaambulance or buy some Cry-Fries and a Whaaaburger. Seriously grow up and change the providers if your not happy.

Wow, talk about being a douche...

Fcom had some valid points. He was simply letting others know that they should be aware of the "free" repoints... He was told it was going to be free, it should have been free. Plain and simple. In no way did he appear to be whining.

Last edited:
No, one's perfect, and I'm not the first to say that, but what Dish has been doing, regarding 129 issues, is unethical... claiming they have no idea what has been occurring, wasting clients time with needless misrepresentations, and of all things, charging for 129 realignment... well, that's just simply stealing.

All I can do, in these matters, is be vigilant as well as adamant... you're even suggesting, as a consumer, what I'm asking for is irresponsible, in some way... I should simply go away...? No right's of opposition and voicing disproval, pertaining to misrepresentation and gouging...?

That was the sole purpose of the post. To enlighten and empower us as consumers. If you find fault with that, speak, but don't try to shut down the truth.

Right on also that attitude is hamful to dish not helpful. If every customer get angry and leave their provider than this country will be BANKRUPT.

What made america great is our willness to speak up and protest.

Take that away and then no more america.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)