Becoming a Certified Installer

bsilvertab

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 12, 2004
Rockford MI
Hello all,
I am going to be moving soon to the Grand Rapids MI area and was wondernig how hard it is to become a DISH certified installer. I have done it for years but it has been though the internet or a local installer in town here. I am thinking maybe I could get a job doing it when I move downstate. What is the process? Who do I ahve to get in touch with?

Thank You,
Joe

You have to be certified by the SBCA cost is about $200 if you are not a SBCA member. You can try Wireguyz.com or 847-546-1600 they are out of IL.

I work for an RSP called AEI. We have an office in Grand Rapids. So far we offer free FSS certifications through dish network. Once you complete that series, we pay for your training towards and SBCA cert.

Anyone serious about becoming a satellite installer should visit......

www.dbsinstallsupport.com, free trial membership. As for working with Dish forget it, unless you want $10 an hour, work your way up to $12 an hour then they find a reason to sack you and get another "kid" in your place! For the record I have never worked for them I did go for an interveiw and was offered a job ( job offered to anyone that breaths) but I seen better of it! Plus I dont think Dishnotwork is going to be around much longer. I would suggest joining the above, GET LICENSED and SBCA certified and go for it, but dont drive your own truck or your "boss" will run it into the ground if you let them, just think howmuch they save getting you to use your own truck $$$$$$$$ Its a real hard game come winter time! Good Luck!

bsilvertab said:
Hello all,
I have done it for years but it has been though the internet or a local installer in town here.

Do you mean get your SBCA license? Visit www.sbca.com and click on membership for dates and locations of the test. The test costs around $150-$200 and is pretty easy, in my opinion.

I'd say stay working for a retailer or a fulfillment company. You'll make good money through those avenues. Don't bother working directly for Dish as an installer. We have one of those offices here and the guys make only $11.00 an hour doing the same amount of work as other installers. Most installers make anywhere from $150 to $300 a day.

The drawback to working for retailers or fulfillment companies are you often have to purchase your own supplies and drive your own vehicle (but you get a fantastic tax write off for mileage).

Remember in some states you MUST be licensed by the state to install satellite systems, I just had a meeting with the state board of electricity this week, they asked me to drop in and give then some advice! Big changes a foot!

PSB said:
Anyone serious about becoming a satellite installer should visit......

www.dbsinstallsupport.com, free trial membership. As for working with Dish forget it, unless you want $10 an hour, work your way up to $12 an hour then they find a reason to sack you and get another "kid" in your place! For the record I have never worked for them I did go for an interveiw and was offered a job ( job offered to anyone that breaths) but I seen better of it! Plus I dont think Dishnotwork is going to be around much longer.

PSB, obviously you never worked for them, I can see. I know plenty who do work for them and started out at $10 an hour now make $14 an hour within a year and a half, add in stock options, 410k, training, uniforms, tools, 2 weeks paid vacation (3 weeks after your 2 yr mark), ADVANCEMENT opportunity, and 4 day weeks.

Sounds to me you're just bitter with all your experience that they only offered you $10 an hour. Maybe your problem is you don't look at the big picture or say 5 years ahead, probably if you did take the job, right now you'd of moved up and be making close to $15 an hour or in a suprevisiory position.

I would be perfectly happy making $10 an hour. I am a student (don't laugh, I was 40ft in the air last night putting up a superdish :( ) going to collage in Grand Rapids and am going to be wanting a full time job. I need at least $10 to pay the rent and such.

Thanks,
BSilvertab

bsilvertab said:
I would be perfectly happy making $10 an hour. I am a student (don't laugh, I was 40ft in the air last night putting up a superdish :( ) going to collage in Grand Rapids and am going to be wanting a full time job. I need at least $10 to pay the rent and such.

Thanks,
BSilvertab

just go to http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/careers/index.asp

if nothing is listed then call 1800 333 3474 and ask for the dns office in your area's phone number

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)