beefing up a j-pole

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyznest

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Tucson
I'm sure this has been thought of before.. so maybe someone can point me to a thread or something....

I'm having problems with my j-pole flexing too much. After looking around I found out that 1.25" galvanized pipe has a 1-5/8 inch diameter OD(same as the j-pole)... and is much much stronger.

My plan is to replace the pole itself with 1.25" galvanized pipe. I think that if I use a 5" long pipe, a 45 degree elbow, and a 20" long pipe, I can make a drop in replacement of the old j-pole and keep the same base and braces. My ACE hardware can cut and thread the parts for me.

I'll keep the base and braces for my j-pole but I'll replace them all of the original 2" lag bolts with 3" or 3.5" and put big thick washers under each one to give a larger diameter clamping area.

any advice, hintd, criticisms. abuse.... whatever... its welcome

sounds sturdy:

I wonder if the foot and the support braces will then be the weaker links?
Also, it sounds a little expensive.

What is it that is causing the flexing of your existing hardware?
Maybe a better way to brace it could help (too).

Bigger dishes usually come with bigger foot and pole.
Have you put a larger dish on a too-small pole?

Sir Anole,

I believe the OP is trying to remedy this issue...

Is this correct, OP?

I decided to start a new thread... The old thread was about a Channel Master dish and for all practical purposes, with everyones help, I got that dish working... so it started to divert to J-poles and antenna mounts... which in my mind is off topic... correct me if I'm wrong.

I wonder if the foot and the support braces will then be the weaker links?
Also, it sounds a little expensive.
I'm not sure about the price... maybe $20? galvanized pipe and fittings in that diameter are pretty cheap. The foot and support braces are sturdy now... but indeed that is a big question.

What is it that is causing the flexing of your existing hardware?
Maybe a better way to brace it could help (too).
Currently, the pipe itself is flexing above the brace... More than anything it is twisting but there is a little flex also.. The foot and the brace are both holding solid and the portion of the pole between the brace and foot is holding still. Grabbing it and pushing the dish around with my hands I can tell its going to be an issue in high winds... even in a light breeze you can see a tiny amount of flex.... The tube is just too wimpy. I tried moving the dish down on the pole so that it had less leverage.. and this worked well.. but moves to the east/west resulted in roof collisions... so I had to move it back to the top where it has a long lever arm to bend and twist....

Bigger dishes usually come with bigger foot and pole.
Have you put a larger dish on a too-small pole?
Well.. Its my 1M Channel Master dish and SG-2100 on the j-pole from my 30" fortec. I suspected all along that this was going to be an issue... and I looked and looked and looked for a larger j-pole but never found one. I heard rumors that Primestar had a 2-3/8" j-pole that they gave out with their dishes but I have yet to find one online. Every one I can find is 1-5/8". maybe there are different ones that are made with a heavier gauge steel... but I have seen no specs to compare. Do you know of a source for a heavy duty pole?

Unfortunately I don't have a good place for a ground mount but my roof location gives me full horizon to horizon.... So I would really prefer to stick to this spot. I have a corner location that I use so I could probably run a piece of 3" galvanized the whole way from the ground, up past the roof, with braces on the wall... but.. I would have to first tear some siding off to put in reinforcements and then re-install siding... I also have irrigation in that part of the yard so this would mean I have to re-rout some water lines... There is a layer of caliche to dig through which will likely require a jackhammer before I could sink the pole... and to top it all off, summer here is like 105+ on the mild days... see where this is headed?

Do you need the 45° bend? I made a pole for a P* dish, using the original base on a roof mount. I used a 3 foot piece of straight pipe, drilling through ther pipe to mate to the foot. It works fine even in 72 MPH winds - so far. I was able to install 3 braces to hold it steady on a shed roof.

I missed part of your post or something. I once got a ground stake for a 4X4 wood post, drove that into the ground and fillind the 'socket' with concrete around the pole. I fastened the pole to the eaves with 2 pieces of channel iron and went up another 10 feet before putting the rotor on with a 21 foot boom and an 8 element Hy-Gain 6 meter beam on top of the rotor. The pipe never gave out, but the rotor did after 6 years.

Last edited:
I think the DTV slimline (AU9) dish used a larger J pole with braces if you can find a used one. There is usually some of the larger J poles listed on ebay, as well.

The DirecTV Slimline J-pole is 2" in diameter, and it is far sturdier than standard J-poles, especially when braced with monopoles. I have one that handles an SG-9120/WSI 36" x 39" dish without problems.

The Slimline J-pole system is also very easy to level, as the J-pole can be turned side to side, and the monopoles are completely adjustable as well.

Another alternative if you insist on the j-pole would be the 2 3/8" one used with the Starband(Gilat) sat internet dishes. These don't have the internal spacer for the j-tube that be inserted into either end, but my solution was to turn down a short 3" piece of 2" schedule 40 pipe for an insert & then cross-drill it. They have crush tubes where the turnbuckle braces attach. I'm using one for a corner-of-the-roof mount for my 36" Ku dish. I extended the height of the j-tube with another piece of 2" pipe(6" unturned & 6" turned down to fit, then cross-drilled).

I saw some listed on ebay a while ago at $10 each. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 190
Thanx for the tips erveryone. I'm not sure i would have figured all of this out... The slimline one looks pretty impressivve at 2" with the braces and all... The starband one looks even more impressive... I'll keep my eye out for both and see what kind of deals I can get....

Just looking on fleabay I see both... the slimline one being significantly cheaper.

i fill the j-pole with concrete, this makes it stronger and also it wont crush, just stuff a crumpled up newspaper in the bottom and fill from the top, i wrap electrical tape around any holes till dry so it wont seep out

hi flyznest. i was in a similar situation to you. no line of sight on the ground so had to roof mount it. i used the j-pole that came with my winegard ds-3100 one meter dish. i too used 4" lag bolts into my roof trusses to secure the foot and braces. it is called the ds-3101 kit that includes the antenna and j-pole. the j-pole alone is called a ds-5200 1 meter antenna mount. it was nice and sturdy. i think the pole was 2 5/8 ". i would highly recommend heeding mikey11's advice and pour some concrete in the pole above the braces where your motor will mount onto. i crushed the top of my pole by tightening the bolts too tight and this caused some minor alignment issues. pics of my install are in my photo album. good luck and happy hunting!

If you decide to go the threaded pipe route, the threads will be wanting to come unscrewed with the torque. You could either (a) have Bluto tighten them with The Big Wrench, (b) have Bubba the welder run a couple of tacks, or (c) put them together with red LocTite....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)