Been knocked off locals, but all neighbors still have it!

histry

Original poster
Aug 12, 2004
We got knocked off our local channels on last Friday along with everyone else. I was upset, but knew it was a possibility. I was fine until I started talking to my neighbors, in fact everyone in my town still has their local channels. I talked to one "tech person" after another at Dish and none of them could tell me why I was knocked off and nobody else was. I finally sent an e-mail to the ceo@echostart address and was finally contacted, I reached them by e-mail and they said that they needed more information. I sent them a google earth map with pushpin locations of everyone around me that the web form on Dish's site said were okay to receive locals. I am still getting the runaround. He tells me that he is sending it over to technical, well, technical said you don't qualify. I asked, Please tell me why, when everyone around me does qualify. "Well, let me do some more research". This is getting really old, and I don't want to leave dish because I like the equipment better than directtv.

Any suggestions on what to do from here? I try calling this guy but all I do is leave voice mails and he will finally get back to me once a day, and I get another, well, let me look into a little more.:mad:

If all your neighbors get shut off guess who they are going to blame for alerting Dish that they still have their distants? Maybe start constructing a bunker in the back yard. lol

We are a rural town with crappy cable, I would venture to say at least 1/2 of the town has a dish, and a majority are Dish. Most importantly is, none of those in the town, has been effected.

Any suggestions on what to do from here? I try calling this guy but all I do is leave voice mails and he will finally get back to me once a day, and I get another, well, let me look into a little more.:mad:

Any suggestions that might be offered would need your specific location in order to understand the issues. In some cases it's a Rural Route vs a PO Box vs a street address issue. Even then, I've seen cases where County Rt 9 was misinterpreted as US Rt 9, causing the address to move from one DMA to another in the database, even though the zip code was the same. The solution for that customer was to change her address from "#### Rt 9" to "#### County Rt 9".

If you go here and type in your address, it'll tell you where the E* database thinks you are located.

https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/prepAddress.do

That is the form that I've been using to type in all of the people around me's addresses, they come back that they are able to receive locals, mine is returned with a sorry, but you are not eligible. My thought is it is a error in the programming of the application that determines eligibility, but how to get them to believe that the program might be wrong is my problem. If I change a digit in my address to show that I'm another block away, in any direction, then I'm eligible.

That is the form that I've been using to type in all of the people around me's addresses, they come back that they are able to receive locals, mine is returned with a sorry, but you are not eligible. My thought is it is a error in the programming of the application that determines eligibility, but how to get them to believe that the program might be wrong is my problem. If I change a digit in my address to show that I'm another block away, in any direction, then I'm eligible.

Change your service address and keep your billing address. Probably the quickest way to correct the problem.

This has happened in our town also. Most got shut off, but about 20% of us including me still have the distants. I didn't think it mattered where you lived. I thought that dish couldn't provide distants period. Weird deal, but I haven't dared to call in to ask why.

Speaking of a whole town being Dish subscribers, I wonder how DISH, TX, fared with the Distants Shutdown? What DMA is DISH, TX in, anyway?

Dish, TX (formerly Clark Texas) is in the same county as the home of the Von Erich family from the old World Class Championship Wrestling....Denton County :)

Dallas DMA

We got knocked off our local channels on last Friday along with everyone else. I was upset, but knew it was a possibility. I was fine until I started talking to my neighbors, in fact everyone in my town still has their local channels. I talked to one "tech person" after another at Dish and none of them could tell me why I was knocked off and nobody else was. I finally sent an e-mail to the ceo@echostart address and was finally contacted, I reached them by e-mail and they said that they needed more information. I sent them a google earth map with pushpin locations of everyone around me that the web form on Dish's site said were okay to receive locals. I am still getting the runaround. He tells me that he is sending it over to technical, well, technical said you don't qualify. I asked, Please tell me why, when everyone around me does qualify. "Well, let me do some more research". This is getting really old, and I don't want to leave dish because I like the equipment better than directtv.

Do you get locals from your DMA or distants. Please be more specific..We cannot help you if you don't provide enough info..Also what satte and county do you live in?...

What's up with this anyways? If E* isn't allowed to provide distants period, why is anyone (including me) still getting them regardless of address?

Last edited:
Do you get locals from your DMA or distants. Please be more specific..We cannot help you if you don't provide enough info..Also what satte and county do you live in?...

What's up with this anyways? If E* isn't allowed to provide distants period, why is anyone (including me) still getting them regardless of address?

Next time read the thread title, then read the thread.

This thread has nothing to do with distant networks.

Why would you lose your local channels? Did you not pay your bill? Do you mean distants? The only "qualification" for locals is to live in the DMA. If you are wondering where DNS went, you haven't been paying attention. Could you be a bit more clear. Are you talking about:

(A) Locals (local networks/LIL). The network stations that are in your DMA. For instance, if you live in Milwaukee - WTMJ is your NBC local. WNBC is not your local unless you live in the NYC DMA. KNBC is not your local unless you live in the LA DMA.

(B) Distants (distant networks/DNS). A feed from another DMA typically NY or LA. No longer available on E*. Even for D* requires qualification by being in a white area, RV, trucker or a waiver from the local affiliate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts