Best Channels in FTA [C/Ku]

Discussion in 'Free To Air (FTA) Discussion' started by DiogoFer, Jul 6, 2019.

1. DiogoFer

DiogoFer Topic Starter New Member

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a big dish (8' solid, motorized) in the LA region, with a Dual C/Ku LNB. That being said, what are in your opinion the best channels that can be received for free in the region? I speak English, Spanish and Portuguese, so anything in those three languages is fine. I've taken a look at Lyngsat and noticed I could get some Virgin Islands affiliates for NBC and FOX, are they worth the while? What about Canadian TV, could I get CBC and CTV?

Thanks

2. Cham

Cham VE4GLS Pub Member / Supporter

Yes the Caribbean mux on 99 is good for an 8' dish, and CTV on 107. 103Ku is good to have as well. 127 is NASA TV.. certainly a must-have. :) 97 has a lot of Spanish TV as well as CBS english too. Lots to pick from but you'll be using the motor for sure.
    I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum!
    -C.

norman881 and DiogoFer like this.
  3. KE4EST

KE4EST SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU!

:welcome to SatelliteGuys DiogoFer!!!!
    Cham gave you a good answer so far. If you have more, feel free to ask!

DiogoFer likes this.
  4. DiogoFer

DiogoFer Topic Starter New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! What about C-SPAN, is it possible to receive it digitally or are we limited to the Analog broadcast? With the 8' Dish, could I receive it properly? Another question I have is to what exactly is broadcasted on the satellite versions of, for example, the 103W NBC Channels - Are they 24/7? Do they have ads? Or really, are they just feeds for local affiliates?

5. Magic Static

Magic Static FTA Geek Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU! Lifetime Supporter

Here is a site providing program info for some 100+ FTA channels. Set your time zone and format.
    http://ftalistings.com/

raydio likes this.
  6. etlam34

etlam34 SatelliteGuys Family

Nbc on 103w is not 24/7, it’s mostly for primetime. Doing a blind scan everyday will bring in news feeds as well as occasional local feeds.

N5XZS, comfortably_numb and raydio like this.
  7. Brct203

Brct203 SatelliteGuys Pro

Depending on how far East you have unobstructed view of the arc, you might be able to get 55.5W and 58W. 55.5W has many Latin American channels if I remember correctly (some in Spanish, some in Portuguese).

As for the LNB, are you talking of a combo C/Ku LNBF, or a more sophisticated feedhorn like a Corotor with C and Ku LNBs? The combo LNBF is a compromise and in many cases does not give good results on Ku. Another option might be a good C-band LNBF and a cheap Ku LNBF mounted to the side of it.

8. VE2FCZ

VE2FCZ SatelliteGuys Family

Hispasat 30 West has a lot of Spanish if you can go that low on the arc. Good luck.

Separate names with a comma.

More...