best dvb-s,dvb-s2 satellite receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

two4two

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
I'd like to know the best dvb-s/dvb-s2, etc satellite receiver. With powerful blind scan, 1080p HD, plus the SD as well, can play every every format like QPSK 4.2.0, QPSK 4.2.2, 8PSK 4.2.0 and 8PSK 4.2.2 in both MPEG2 or MPEG4. And has media player for USB drive, ability to record, wi-fi (or LAN) H.264 codec, etc. I don't know how I ended up in the AZBOX forum, but I'd like to know ANY of the BEST brand available and supported here in the USA.

Last edited:
I'd like to know the best dvb-s/dvb-s2, etc satellite receiver. With powerful blind scan, 1080p HD, plus the SD as well, can play every every format like QPSK 4.2.0, QPSK 4.2.2, 8PSK 4.2.0 and 8PSK 4.2.2 in both MPEG2 or MPEG4. And has media player for USB drive, ability to record, wi-fi (or LAN) H.264 codec, etc. I don't know how I ended up in the AZBOX forum, but I'd like to know ANY of the BEST brand available and supported here in the USA.

The AzBox miniMe American Edition is the only current satellite receiver STB in the market that meets all of your requirements.

Last edited:
Htpc defn offers the most power and flexibility but comes at the cost of price and ease of use. I hate the closed aspect of pretty much all receivers on the market right now where your held at ransom of the distributor. They decide there is no money to be made and youll get zero support. Not my cup of tea.

UDL

Thanks for reading and for your answers. There is a PCIe card suported by Windows and Linux called TBS6925 DVB-S2. It can do all of the things I asked excpt it goes in your computer. Anyone try this in a Linux PC? Anyone try it at all for that matter?

I only use Linux, I use the TBS6925 as well as quite a few other cards. I use my own kernel, https://bitbucket.org/updatelee/v4l-updatelee

TBS supplies a closed src driver for the 5925/6925, you can use mine if you want to use an open source driver plus numerous other fix's to the stv090x chipset (the demod in the 5925/6925) as well as other chipsets for other cards.

UDL

Thanks for reading and for your answers. There is a PCIe card suported by Windows and Linux called TBS6925 DVB-S2. It can do all of the things I asked excpt it goes in your computer. Anyone try this in a Linux PC? Anyone try it at all for that matter?

Are you looking for a STB or a DVB tuner card for your computer? Based on your previous post, it appears you are looking more for a STB. Please don't let the thread crappers in this forum mislead you.

To answer your original question, there are several receivers that Almost fit your requirements. If you want 4:2:2 in a stb you buy the axbox. Others will give you fast and accurate blind scan, an onboard media player, and good North American support. The most popular receiver on this forum is the Geosat Pro Micro HD, which was developed here in the states for the American market. Manhatten Digital also offers a receiver developed here in the states with blind scan and a media player. Amiko Americas has a line of receivers that were developed in Europe but have Software developed for the states (Newest model is the Nano HD). Also with Blindscan and Media Player. They all have good support if you purchase from an authorized dealer, and all are DVR ready. With these boxes you can record a 4:2:2 stream and play it back on your PC if you have the proper codecs installed.

The Azbox that pwrsurge mentioned has the option of streaming to PC or network. Amiko also has the alien line which will stream to PC or network. With the the streaming capability you can stream your 4:2:2 to PC and view it in real time. Amiko USA has a an IPTV portal with several channels for the Alien. Azbox has plans to introduce this also.

As far as the best receiver goes, that's up to you. They all have bugs, you just learn to live with them and work around them.

To answer your original question, there are several receivers that Almost fit your requirements. If you want 4:2:2 in a stb you buy the axbox. Others will give you fast and accurate blind scan, an onboard media player, and good North American support.

The AzBox miniMe American Edition really does meet ALL (and not just almost all) of the OP's requirements including true 4:2:2 support on live channels (without having to use a PC to stream), fast & accurate blindscan, onboard media player, DVR ready by connecting an external USB (or even eSATA) HDD and good North American support. Unlike most other models, firmware for the miniMe American Edition is developed right here in North America and customized for this market and updates are released on a regular basis.

IPTV portal development for the AzBox miniMe American Edition is progressing nicely and we are aiming for a release before the end of 2013, just in time for the holidays.

Guys (and Gals), as everyone knows, the market for true FTA satellite STB's in North America is small when compared to other continents. One must recognize and appreciate the efforts from the few companies out there who are willing to invest time and money to release products designed for this market.

Last edited:
Reactions: rrob311
I have tried all links supplied to inquire and get prices for the minime including shiping but no lucky so far. Why its so hard to get price and order a minime???

Current authorised AzBox US dealers are listed on the AzBox United States website at http://dealers.azbox.us

The website also includes full contact information so please get in touch with them directly if you are interested in purchasing an AzBox shipped to the U.S.
I have been told recently that one of the dealers is almost done building a brand new online store in order to enable online purchases.

We are also still looking for additional dealers to carry AzBox products in Canada and the United States so if you are a satellite retailer looking to expand your inventory with higher end FTA receivers, please contact us to apply.

Last edited:
I realize this thread is a couple of years old, but am putting a bump here to see if anyone can make any further suggestions. I've been out of the loop on fta a few years, but am thinking about getting back in to it in the next year or two since we just got a new place to rent that has a perfect view to the south... What's the advantages/disadvangates of the azbox minime vs Geosat Pro Micro HD? Is there any better suggestions for what works today and gets most of the signals? From several years back I have a pansat 3500 but it won't do all this fancy new dvb-s2 stuff I keep reading about here, etc. If I do get back in to fta it'll be Ku since we probably won't be able to talk a landlord (or my wife, lol) in to getting a 12 footer.

I just got a 6922 but haven't installed it yet. I'll be running it on Ubuntu Linux 14.04. I'll let ya know how it works out. Maybe I'll get this project off the ground today.

I realize this thread is a couple of years old, but am putting a bump here to see if anyone can make any further suggestions. I've been out of the loop on fta a few years, but am thinking about getting back in to it in the next year or two since we just got a new place to rent that has a perfect view to the south... What's the advantages/disadvangates of the azbox minime vs Geosat Pro Micro HD? Is there any better suggestions for what works today and gets most of the signals? From several years back I have a pansat 3500 but it won't do all this fancy new dvb-s2 stuff I keep reading about here, etc. If I do get back in to fta it'll be Ku since we probably won't be able to talk a landlord (or my wife, lol) in to getting a 12 footer.

I can't recommend a sat receiver because I haven't used many. And the ones I have tried have been a hassle. I'm going to try a DVB PCIe card in my PC next because I haven't seen any reviews on STB's that convince me to go buy a new STB.

You might not need a 12 footer. I'm using a Paraclipse 12 footer with hail and wind damaged reflector with 1 missing panel and I'm still able to receive DVB-S2/8PSK up to 2/3 FEC with at least 58% SQ with no pixeling . So, my guess is that even an 8 footer will pull in the signals. I don't know if my damaged dish will pull in 9/10 FEC but if I find a feed at that FEC that locks in I'll let ya know. Anyway, based on your comments, you probably can't do an 8 footer anyway.

No wonder the aZbox legact receivers are no longer supported now.

Yeah, they were all the rage at one time. I have both an Elite and Ultra. They work fine until the channel lists get corrupted. And, for some reason, I can't get the Luken mux with those anymore. The GeoSatPro is OK but I would have liked having a feature that automatically assigned the sat positions (like the Azbox). The Azbox Elite/Ultra does 4:2:2 but I don't think the GeoSatPro does that. From what I understand, there are no consumer grade receivers that give you a position count from the receiver's menu or on-screen. Having a Gbox sitting next to your TV is not an "wife option". Motors like the SG2100 doesn't give any kind of position count display. I suppose the cost of the STB would be quite high if they could accomodate everyone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)