Best DVR option for 3 tv's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

blanquitoman1984

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Fontana, CA
I currently have a VIP 722 the main TV is HD and is running off of TV1 have two other TV's in the house that are SD. TV 2 is split sharing the same image on the two TV's in the different rooms in the house. I have just purchased a HD TV to replace one of the SD TV's. My question is what is the best option to be able to have programming on the 3 TV's now that there are two HD TV's in the house. Keep the 722 and add another HD DVR. Swap it out for a Hopper and the Joey's. Which would be the better price? Thank you in advance for your help.

You could add a 211 in the location with the new HDTV. That's what I did several years back until I moved on to Hoppers and Joeys. You could get a Hopper and Joeys cheaper than two 722s....

You could add a 211 in the location with the new HDTV. That's what I did several years back until I moved on to Hoppers and Joeys. You could get a Hopper and Joeys cheaper than two 722s....

Good suggestion about the 211K. Just in case he doesn't know, you can add an external HDD to the 211K and turn it into a one tuner DVR for a one time $40 fee. I have a 211K activated for a backup in case something happens to my Hopper 3.

hat I did several years back

I did that also it was inexpensive ,easy and way better than no Dish HD in the room but that's about it and the 211K broke down 3 times and had to be exchanged 3 times .

I just moved on from Dish and the old devices to ATT/D*TV after 6 years in good standing for several reasons and TBH mostly a better picture and not having top pay Dish for wiring two more rooms and upgrading and leasing an HR 54 DVR and 3 mini Genies but that's my mess that all worked out for the better , The OP may want to stay with Dish .

Haters gonna hate.
Not hating just stating my story and the facts as I see them.

OTOH the OP got some (maybe other good suggestions) here outside of your not so clever trolling but if one were to think an HD DVR 722K may run $100.00 and a few more dollars a month on lease from Dish or whatever the costs of owning one and activating it may be worth it compared to a 211K and HDD + activation if the 722K can meet your storage needs TBH the one I had was rock solid reliable ,

OTOH lets entertain the thought a TB USB small form factor HDD is maybe $65.00 and $40.00 for Dish to activate it with a $50.00 VIP 211 HD upgrade what do we have $155.00 up front vs whatever a Hopper DVR and companion device would would cost to upgrade and lease maybe you should think before you type.

On another note, let's please keep the forums a friendly place for people to ask questions and receive answers.

If your intention is to be rude and insult, perhaps other forums will be more welcoming.

As always, the staff appreciates your understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe toss the 722K boat anchor or see what u can get for it if you own it and get something up to date from Dish or just jump ship to D*TV for all that and a better picture like I did (or not) it's your choice ?

Did you catch what the OP posted? BOTH his other TV's are SD just like I tried telling you in the other thread that is not an unusual situation. He is just now getting around to having a second HD TV.

To the OP - if you want to keep costs down keep the 722 to put an HD signal to one TV and and SD to the SD TV. Then get either a 211 that has one tuner but can be a DVR with an external hard drive added to it, (for a one time $40 cost) or for a little more a month get a VIP 612 with 2 tuners (Three if you have an antenna for over the air) The 211 external hard drive can not be use with any other non 211 receiver, but any of the the VIP receivers - or the Hopper can watch previously recorded shows from the other receivers.

If you would like the Hopper the new Hopper 3 has plenty of tuners and having a couple of Joeys would work fine. My only reservation is if the Hopper has a problem there is no TV in any room but with the VIP receivers one does not affect the others. And of course it requires a two year contract if that matter to you. Just something to think about.

Reactions: tubetwister
Ah, the sweet silence of the ignore function.

Blanquitoman, are you still paying the grandfathered DVR price of $7? Adding a 211K would increase your monthly fees by $7, but if you went with a hopper and 2 joeys, your fees would be at least $26 instead of $14 (or $17, if you lose or don't have the grandfathered DVR fee).

Thank you to everyone for your great help. I am grandfathered just checked the bill $7. So would I only pay an additional $7. I am out of contract. Currently have Latino Basico $29.99+$7 for the DVR Fee

Like I said, I don't know if you'd lose your grandfathering by adding the 211. I suspect not, but I'd ask a DIRT member to be sure. They could set up the appointment for you too.

Tampa8 If you would like the Hopper the new Hopper 3 has plenty of tuners and having a couple of Joeys would work fine. My only reservation is if the Hopper has a problem there is no TV in any room but with the VIP receivers one does not affect the others. And of course it requires a two year contract if that matter to you. Just something to think about.

Gordon Shumway works at Vandelay Industries.

Good for the Dish subs to know about the Hopper DVR going down ,,,,,,Now I'm amusing that would be the case with DirecTV Genie also and the tuners are all the in the D*TV HR54 or whatever Genie DVR and none at the clients or no ?

Thank you to everyone for your great help. I am grandfathered just checked the bill $7. So would I only pay an additional $7. I am out of contract. Currently have Latino Basico $29.99+$7 for the DVR Fee
FYI, when I got my 2nd HDTV, I considered upgrading from my lone 722, but decided I didn't want to pay double or more in fees. So now I have 2 TVs in my bedroom, one SD for the 722 TV2 connection, and the HD TV connected to a blu-ray player, Roku and Chromecast. Works well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)