Best overall FTA receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
New England
I was wondering what is the best receiver to receive all types of ITC FTA signals. I have seen on Lyngsat that there are Digicipher and Powervu signals and was trying to figure out what receivers will receive any of the "free" channels. I know that they are encryption methods but I heard that sometimes they have channels that don't require a key but still need a special receiver. I am interested in being able to find these types.I have a sonicview 8000 and I am not sure what signals that it will read. I am also interested in possibly finding an a la carte service so I can get HBO boxing but IDK what receiver to buy at this point.

There are basically two formats of satellite signals-- DVB and Digicipher II. Think of it as AM and FM, except that there are VERY few receivers that will pick up both. Most receivers are either DVB or Digicipher II, but not both. DVB (and the newer DVB-S2) is an open standard that most FTA signals are transmitted with. Digicipher II is a proprietary technology developed by General Instruments (Motorola), and is generally harder to receive due to the proprietary nature of the equipment.

With DVB, encryption is added (or not added) separately, such as PowerVu (an encryption standard used with DVB). Digicipher II includes encryption, which can either be turned on, off (zero key), or fixed (fixed key). Most so-called FTA Digicipher II channels are actually encrypted in fixed key mode, meaning that Digicipher II receivers that have been authorized on one channel will receive them. There are some commercial Digicipher II receivers that will receive fixed key mode channels without requiring authorization, such as the Digitrans 7100 and 7150. The Digitrans receivers are rare in that they will also receive DVB signals.

Since most FTA is in DVB format, DVB is probably the format you will want to work with for now. When you get deeper into the hobby, you may want to invest in a commercial, broadcast-grade receiver that will also get the Digicipher II channels. They can be found used on E-Bay, but can still carry a somewhat hefty price tag.

Last edited:
I have a sonicview 8000 and I am not sure what signals that it will read.

basically you can get any transponder/channel that is DVB-S format and clear/unencrypted.....i dont think any receiver could be considered the "Best Overall"....it depends on an individuals personal needs and wants....

I doubt there's much, if any, free DCII HD stuff up there. If there is, your best bet would be a commercial receiver such as the Digitrans tied to a commercial HD decoder. This is not a setup that is recommended for someone just starting out. You'll really want to stick with DVB and DVB-S2 for now, that's where most of the content is. Later down the road, you could look into the commercial gear.

Ya I am pretty disappointed with this sonicview receiver that I have. It is kind of buggy and I can't seem to update the files for the satellite lists. It also seems that the support is shady/drying up for it.

So, what sort of HD content are you looking for?
And same question for SD content.(?)

In other current threads, the two most practical HD S2 receivers are AZbox and Sathawk/Solomed/Openbox (SSO for short).
No reason to re-hash 'em here, as they are well discussed elsewhere.

Im just looking for anything FTA really. I have only been catching some random news feeds. I would like a receiver that decodes as many different formats as possible. I would also like as many different local news stations and whatever sports I can get.

Im just looking for anything FTA really. I have only been catching some random news feeds. I would like a receiver that decodes as many different formats as possible. I would also like as many different local news stations and whatever sports I can get.
Sounds like he may have a anolog receiver.

I used to have a sonicview 8000. It suffered a lightning strike. When it was up, it was useless for blind scanning. The signal meter on it was never sensitive enough. I am happy now using a Viewsat Ultra for my SD blind scanning. It is not the best, but I couldn't beat the price of the unit. I also had problems controlling my SG2100 with the Sonicview, along with difficulties using a 4 port switch. My Viewsat handles these just fine. If I had a choice for a basic SD unit for blind scanning and a motor, I would go with the Traxis 3500 or Viewsat Ultra.

As others have mentioned, for the HD stuff, if you demand 4:2:2 video and have an appropriately sized reflector, the AZbox and SSO are out there. If you dont require the 4:2:2, then I think one of the Pansat HD units with the S2 add in card would be great. Besides feeds, there doesn't seem to be a great variety of regular HD content that is truly FTA.

If you are looking at the C-band legitimate subscription stuff, the DSR-410, DSR-9XX series should serve you well. I haven't seen any HD options this route besides pricey sidecar units and that is what is keeping me from going this route.(if someone knows something I haven't seen, please feel free to PM me on this)

There area few HD boxes out there that the eye patch crowd covets, but I recommend staying away from them.

This really is a loaded question with no single answer. Too many variables involved. Money, personal preferences, geographical location, dish size limitations, and spousal approval are just a few of the many variables.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, the "SSO" (which is shorthand for Sathawk, Solomend, or Openbox, all of which are basically the same receiver, even if they don't look alike) will NOT display 4:2:2. It will tune DVB-S2, blind scan (very well), and display HD.

The azbox is the only receiver out there today that can do 4:2:2
(yes the Quali can too but that is an old receiver) ;)

There's a small percentage of feeds that are 4:2:2 . They are almost without exception , Great feeds. Those of us who mostly look for sports feeds, rather than standard programming find that perhaps 30% of them are 4:2:2 chroma video. It's nice to have, but it depends upon what you're doing with FTA whether or not you need it.
:)

is there a lot of FTA channels that are in the 4:2:2 format?

I posted this in another thread when someone asked about 4:2:2 HD but it works here too
But alot of non HD sports feeds are 4:2:2
Depends on the day and who is doing the broadcast. Most games from "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network" that are not in HD are 4:2:2 but the games exclusively broadcast on the internet by them (use to be 360 but now is 3) are usually 4:2:0

I found openbox' for a decent price but the AZ box seems pretty expensive. If it is really that good and is going to be top notch for at least 5 years or so I may be interested in buying it. It seems like a lot of the FTA receivers have diminishing support so I don't want to make the wrong move.

Status
Please reply by conversation.