Best RV Receiver model????

ChapelCharlie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Richmond, KY
I have a customer who wants (Demands) a 211 Receiver for his RV. He said that a Dealer/Tech informed him that he could only use the 211 in his RV and the 311 or 322 would not work.

I have actually installed several units in RV's and have no problems... is there something I should know about that is not in my tech papers nor in my database?

If I'm right the Tech/Retailer was simply trying to sell a particular model he had in stock....

Any suggestions or comments????

Thanks
Charles

I have a customer who wants (Demands) a 211 Receiver for his RV. He said that a Dealer/Tech informed him that he could only use the 211 in his RV and the 311 or 322 would not work.

I have actually installed several units in RV's and have no problems... is there something I should know about that is not in my tech papers nor in my database?

If I'm right the Tech/Retailer was simply trying to sell a particular model he had in stock....

Any suggestions or comments????

Thanks
Charles

Recently based on my own problems or issues. Any Dish receiver will work. adding a DVR is a extra fee, but not a problem if you have the need or money. To make it simple, have the same dish for your camper as your home. You won't have to clear the matrix or do a check switch every time, unless it never see's both dishs, meaning if you keep it in the camper or take it back and fourth.Peace

If the customer is using an external dish they sight in themselves that hopefully matches the dish on the house, they can use any rec.

If they are using a built in dish that locks in automatically (for ex. KingDome), they cannot use dual tuner recs. The use legacy lnb/switch configs with single line outputs. The user manual for some of these systems even recommend 301/311 or 211 for HD, 381s work, but are slow to lock in and unreliable.

DVRs are not recommended for RVs due to constant vibration

I use my 222 in my RV hooked to an external dish. With this I'm able to view independent programing in two locations. I have used the Winegard roof dish when staying overnight somewhere and not wanting to set up the external dish. The drawback there was only one sat at a time and no independent viewing for the second TV.

It probably has to do with adding a receiver to his home account. If he has an MPEG4 only account set up at home(Eastern arc), dish will only add a MPEG4 receiver to it.....

A VIP222K works great for me. I had to place the receiver in a location which was not visible to a IR remote so an extra UHF remote was purchased so both tuners are controlled via UHF remotes. TV1 uses a HDMI cable to TV1. TV2 tuner output can be fed into the cable input jack of the RV. This allows me to configure to whatever signal is available, cable, OTA or satellite to each or both TVs in the RV. Whatever source option is selected is available at both TVs. The output of the Winegard external roof mounted amplifier is available to both of the RV's TVs for OTA. It is necessary to change the input of TV1 when watching cable or OTA. I am using a 1000.2 Dish which is devoted to RV use.

We dry camp mostly and are always concerned about power usage. We use a 311 receiver which draws 25 watts of power (a little over 2 amps at 12 volts). Believe the 211 is a 50 watt receiver so would use twice the battery amps. For HD I would imagine the 211 would be your most efficient option otherwise the 311 is the way to go if you are concerned about power usage.

Remember too that if the customer is going to be pointing the dish manually then a 311 with a Dish 500 is much easier to aim than a 211 with a 1000.2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)