Better way of dealing with foul language

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinceT3

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Rainsalot Florida
I saw this on another site and thought it was pure genius..

Have the system auto replace *special* words with this.. lol

censored.gif

You don't have a link in your post, but if it is the system that listens to dialog and replaces certain words with others, I have seen that one in action. One of the parents in our scout troop was quite a fundamentalist, and was quick to purchase any 'family friendly' tech. She thought this would allow her to rent normal DVDs and not just the ones her church overdubbed to be 'safe'

The system did what it advertised, but I wouldn't say it worked. For example if the word SEX was said in the dialog, the system would substitute the word HUG. However, the word was spoken in a different voice, was mechanical and usually louder than the dialog. It didn't take long for the kids to develop a translation table. Being loud and different, the system also ended up emphasizing the offending words, making the movie more obscene instead of less.

There was one final factor that the parent never did figure out. Since the kids knew the translation actually meant sex and since the word was shouted, they started using the word hug to mean sex. The parent actually ended up creating a new dirty word in the scout group.

Yep, go give your grandma a 'hug'

You don't have a link in your post, but if it is the system that listens to dialog and replaces certain words with others, I have seen that one in action. One of the parents in our scout troop was quite a fundamentalist, and was quick to purchase any 'family friendly' tech. She thought this would allow her to rent normal DVDs and not just the ones her church overdubbed to be 'safe'

The system did what it advertised, but I wouldn't say it worked. For example if the word SEX was said in the dialog, the system would substitute the word HUG. However, the word was spoken in a different voice, was mechanical and usually louder than the dialog. It didn't take long for the kids to develop a translation table. Being loud and different, the system also ended up emphasizing the offending words, making the movie more obscene instead of less.

There was one final factor that the parent never did figure out. Since the kids knew the translation actually meant sex and since the word was shouted, they started using the word hug to mean sex. The parent actually ended up creating a new dirty word in the scout group.

Yep, go give your grandma a 'hug'

That is awesome! I love when stuff like that backfires. That post made my day! I can’t stand censorship...

Unless it's totally unnecessary and makes even Sesame Street sound cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)