Beware of Unscrupulous Tech Support

jdh62

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Lost my 110 satellite at least one or two weeks ago, so I finally get around to calling tech support. After running through the usual procedure of testing receiver, tech support says I need to have a service call. Then this guy starts to tell me that a service call costs $99.95 unless I sign up for the Dish Home Protection Plan ($5.99) in which case service calls will then cost $29.95. I had a service call earlier this year that costed $29.95 and I remember not having to sign up for the home protection plan back then. As I was asking this guy about this, I got disconnected (perhaps conveniently?).

I called back and spoke with another tech support rep, Matt, who seemed to be very knowledgable. He had me run through some tests since there was no record of my previous call. I learnt some things from the tests he had me do. He concluded I needed a service call, and tells me service calls are only $29! He also offers to give me credit for the downtime without my even asking. Needless to say, I was much more pleased with him and will make sure to send a note praising him to Dish Network.

However, I am infuriated at how the 1st tech support guy was trying to feed me disinformation in trying to get me to sign up for the home protection plan.

Actually, both reps could have been correct.

If you are a recent DHA customer on a 12 or 24-month commitment you already are on the DHPP so service calls are $29.99.

If you aren't currently on the DHPP service calls are $99. That's why the 1st rep suggested you sign up for it.

So look on your bill and see if you have DHPP currently and are getting the $5.99 credit or if you are paying for it.

The simple fact is that TC's are $99 if you are not.

JohnDoe#2 said:
If you are a recent DHA customer on a 12 or 24-month commitment you already are on the DHPP so service calls are $29.99.
If you aren't currently on the DHPP service calls are $99. .

Another possibility,
The Lease Plan prior to DHA costs $5 more per month and includes DHPP

...and since when doesn't cable charge you for everything? The comcast here charges out the ass during installation. They re-wired my whole damn town, all he's gotta do is hand me the box, they want me to pay 30 bucks for him to plug it in and hand me the remote...

JohnDoe#2 said:

If you aren't currently on the DHPP service calls are $99. That's why the 1st rep suggested you sign up for it.

So look on your bill and see if you have DHPP currently and are getting the $5.99 credit or if you are paying for it.

The simple fact is that TC's are $99 if you are not.

JohnDoe#2: thank you for letting me know that it may be possible for service calls to be $99, but why should service calls cost be different depending on which tech rep I speak with?

jdh62 said:
JohnDoe#2: thank you for letting me know that it may be possible for service calls to be $99, but why should service calls cost be different depending on which tech rep I speak with?

Because 80% of them dont know the correct way to handle calls and could care less. In the event you get 1 of the 20% good ones, you'll get the correct service.

jdh62 said:
Lost my 110 satellite at least one or two weeks ago, so I finally get around to calling tech support. After running through the usual procedure of testing receiver, tech support says I need to have a service call. Then this guy starts to tell me that a service call costs $99.95 unless I sign up for the Dish Home Protection Plan ($5.99) in which case service calls will then cost $29.95. I had a service call earlier this year that costed $29.95 and I remember not having to sign up for the home protection plan back then. As I was asking this guy about this, I got disconnected (perhaps conveniently?).

I called back and spoke with another tech support rep, Matt, who seemed to be very knowledgable. He had me run through some tests since there was no record of my previous call. I learnt some things from the tests he had me do. He concluded I needed a service call, and tells me service calls are only $29! He also offers to give me credit for the downtime without my even asking. Needless to say, I was much more pleased with him and will make sure to send a note praising him to Dish Network.

However, I am infuriated at how the 1st tech support guy was trying to feed me disinformation in trying to get me to sign up for the home protection plan.

I have a 2 yr. lease that includes service calls for $29. I don't pay extra for having it, but I had to buy local channels to do the deal. It doesn't make any difference to me. Cable is $48/mo. plus taxes verses dish top 60 with locals for $31.99/month plus taxes. I have 2 DVRs and pay for the 2nd receiver. Cable didn't give me any options on the basic channels packages. It was the "antenna" pkg. or "Classic cable" which equates to Dish's top 180. Overall I am very satisfied for the $$$ I spend.

jdh62 said:

2 years a back i had a similar experience when i lost signal . the dish network technician charged me 99.99 (service charge)plus a new lnb for 149.00 plus new wires /connectors for 45.00 ,then he wanted to raise the dish height and charged me 75.00 for a 2 feet pole(home depot cost 5.00),in the end the problem was a small white grounding part outside the house ,blown probably by lightning. now i am having problems again ,i loose signal off and on between 10 am & 6pm (works fine during night /early mornings) i have a jvc 1000 reciever (one of the first)i am on satelite 61.5 west, transponder 12 & 18 ,channel 624 & 614.
i have replaced the lnb, connectors,some wires, can somebody advise if the reiever is bad, are their any moving parts/ or a clock inside reciever--- why does it happen from 10 am to 6 pm.
please reply

Sounds like you might have one of the bad lots of heat-sensitive LNBs.

It's a pain, but get all the numbers off of it and post them here ad we can tell you.

SimpleSimon said:
Sounds like you might have one of the bad lots of heat-sensitive LNBs.

It's a pain, but get all the numbers off of it and post them here ad we can tell you.

the numbers are DIGITAL LNBF 123470966-AA LOT # 174
MADE IN USA -- DISH LOGO

PLEASE CHCEK N REPLY
THOUSAND THANKS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)