Beware When Upgrading!

I just emailed the CEO email address. I doubt anything will come off it, but it was worth the shot. Next time I think Ill just cancel my account altogether and have my wife sign up to avoid any of these hassles.

I've dealt with executive CSRs on many occasions at Dish, and they are almost always reliable. You might be surprised. Just make sure you get straight to the point and are polite.

I sometimes have to wonder. I usually think the customer, hears what they want to hear. My experience, has been that most CSR's have enough at hand (most, I repeat) to get the orders right the first time. I have seen some screw ups too!

Hell i can't even get them to ship me a 722 - already have a 622 and want to add a 722 to replace my old 301 and complement my new HD set - they want me to pay 125.00 to have it installed- how have others done this, you know, get it shipped - one CS said they would ship it if it was replacing my 622 but i want to keep my 622 and add the 722

Hell i can't even get them to ship me a 722 - already have a 622 and want to add a 722 to replace my old 301 and complement my new HD set - they want me to pay 125.00 to have it installed- how have others done this, you know, get it shipped - one CS said they would ship it if it was replacing my 622 but i want to keep my 622 and add the 722
I expressed my displeasure to the ceo at echostar dot com addy.

Hi guys.

I got an email response from the ceo addy -- imagine my surprise to find that this morning. They asked me for my account # and phone associated with account. I politely told em my history with the company and thanked him for any help he could provide me to solve my problem.

I have not heard anything back yet, so I'll post any update here then.

Thanks to those of you who made that suggestion :)

DISH doesn't have a grace period for canceling a commitment.

Dish may not have a grace period for their contracts, but many states DO have a grace period for any contractural agreement to be backed out of. If Dish wants to continue to do business in certain states, it has to adhere to those laws in those jurisdictions.

Its just a sad thing that they gained a customer for 24 months, but will lose a customer for life after that. Specially since I've been a customer for 5 years before that (and 3 years at another location before I moved). Eight years total.

Oh well.

I am going to start this off by saying that this is not to dispute the fact of the matter but by making a point.

It seems to me like everything that was said was not only a fault by the CSR by not doing what was promised and by making notes of the conversation but also by you for not doing your own research on the matter.

How long did you think about making the decision?
Did you ask if there was any type of "grace period"?
Did you ask if you could stop the installation when the tech had arrived or even to see the work order the tech had?

There are many questions that you could have asked for better prevention against the issue. I understand the fact that the agent didn't do what they said but more than not I hear about people calling in and trying to get off the phone as quickly as possible as if an upgrade, disclosures and not to mention having to explain everything will take 5 minutes to perform.

Maybe you were in a rush or likely heard what you wanted to hear and forgot about the rest. I have been with E* for quite a while as well and I have never had a problem with them before. Yes, the bill goes up every year but who's doesn't? Yes, they don't have all the HD channels(or SD channels) available but what company does? That is another story.

The point I am trying to make is that you should have asked all the proper questions before jumping in to a 24mth commitment and if you did then I'm guessing the only other prevention you could have done was the online chat. There is no "real" prevention for incompetence. Every company is going to have incompetent employees, E* is no different. So you might as well be wasting your breath at every company out there.

I don't see anyone else at fault but you. Sorry.

I put my account # - Phone # - Physical address and name , my concerns and unhappiness with the way things have been going in this upgrade process

Well today I Got a call from a guy named Anthony @ the CEO offices and the conversation was awesome, in clear English and yes he is going to ship my 722 so i can install

I'm so happy now and i think my blood pressure went back down to normal range - YESSS

I put my account # - Phone # - Physical address and name , my concerns and unhappiness with the way things have been going in this upgrade process

Well today I Got a call from a guy named Anthony @ the CEO offices and the conversation was awesome, in clear English and yes he is going to ship my 722 so i can install

I'm so happy now and i think my blood pressure went back down to normal range - YESSS
:) I think it's the proper way to do things. If you treat someone else with respect, they'll treat you the same way. I don't think E* or Charlie is the Great White Satan that many make him out to be. He's a businessman and he's out to make money. And I think, in many instances, Dish will work with you to solve a problem, if it's within their ability to solve it. Maybe that means giving you a discount or a free upgrade to make you happy. What I hate are the subs that say,"If you don't add such and such channel, then I'm going to leave!" By all means, leave, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. It's just not that easy to add a channel. We all want more and are very impatient to wait, but's it not that easily done. If we have 500 HD channels, the new gripe would be, why not 1000. It never ends. Congrats!

This is a note to those who are thinking of UPGRADING.

Been a loyal DISH customer for five years. Last week I called to see what offers they had for me and the lady on the phone offered me a killer deal:

Free Installation + Free Upgrade to VIP 722.
$9.99 for Turbo HD Bronze (6 months)
$5.00 locals
$10 loyalty discount for 12 months
Free HBO + Starz for 3 months
$0.01 Cinemax with auto-payment enrollment.
After six months package goes to $29.99 + locals

I check my recent online activity:
$100 upgrade FEE
Classic Bronze + Turbo HD instead of just TURBO HD Bronze
No honor of the $9.99 for 6 months

I call to find out what is going on and "there is nothing in my notes here about any of that." After 30 minutes on the phone with the rep, they remove the upgrade fee as a "courtesy" (it was promised!) and switch me to Turbo HD Bronze only (great). They did not want to give me the 6 months for $9.99 that was promised.

I inquire about canceling and they tell me I am now under 24 month contract! Don't I have 30 days to cancel without paying fees? This is absurd.

I hate that they don't send a summary of your conversation via email OR when the person comes to install they don't give you a summary as well so you can stop the process.

I'm so livid because they promised something and as a customer you are entirely tied and its your word against theirs, but your word means squat because "its not on the notes."

What can I do? Can't I still cancel? I'm still getting a fair deal, but I find it a bit of an abuse that they do this to people and just on principle alone I rather pay more to another company.

Anyway, just be aware of what they are offering you and RECORD YOUR CONVERSATIONS with their reps.

Sorry for the rant guys :(

Happens all the time..

Definitely try the CEO route. After three calls to the regular CSR center trying to switch to TurboHD, and getting different info each time, I was able to resolve all of my issues with one conversation with Greg at the CEO offices.

I expressed my displeasure to the ceo at echostar dot com addy.
I was attempting a Dish'n It Up upgrade of 2 VIP612 receivers. After the regular CSR told me "no" I appealed to the ceo address. The next day a nice chap in executive resolutions attempted to ship me 2 612's. What showed up a week later was 2 622's instead. They're headed back to Dish, and now a single 612 is pending shipment. In all cases (according to my online account) they want me to return my owned 722!

Had I wanted this kind of bungling, I would have stuck by my regular CSR who said "No." At least he got that much right.

Just curious, maybe some lawyer types can answer. If a MINOR calls up DISH(or Direct for that matter) and orders and has installed a system, can the terms he(or she) agreed to be enforced?

Last edited:
What if the name is changed on the account to a minor's name? Would they ask for the social security number to verify if it was a minor or not?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts