BLACK Color 211 or 622???

Shepherd777

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
Every single piece of equipment in my Middle Atlantic rack is BLACK color, including my Dish 6000.

I really want to upgrade to a 211 or 622, but I absolutely hate the silver color.

Has anybody anodized or otherwise converted a silver receiver to black???

Thanks,
Bob sliwa

If you have a screwdriver and a can of black spray paint, I'm pretty sure you could do a ghetto mod :)

Hardest part would probably be covering the leds on the front (if they are attached to the case). Or removing the leds from the casing prior to painting.

I'm just the opposite. All of my components are silver, except for my 522. So, for that reason, and of course finally getting satellite HD....I can't wait :D

HokieEngineer said:
If you have a screwdriver and a can of black spray paint, I'm pretty sure you could do a ghetto mod :)

Thanks but nothing in my theater has any thing in common with the ghetto now, so that wouldn't match either.

I was hoping the 211 would have the same form factor as the 6000, but from the pics, it doesn't. If it did, I would just put the 6000 front panel on the 211.

I kinda leaning towards the anodizing. Does anyone know if the silver front panel is plastic or metal?

Why are some people so anal about this? Does it really matter? It isn't like electronic equipment is "pretty" anyway.

lakebum431 said:
Why are some people so anal about this? Does it really matter? It isn't like electronic equipment is "pretty" anyway.

I don't think it's being anal at all.

Black has always been sexier. When I bought my first Nikon camera about 25 years ago, I made sure I bought the black professional F2 Photomic. Not the silver one that looked like a cheap Kodak.

I spent a ship-load of money on black components in my rack, and a silver 211 would stand out like a fart in a elevator.

Attachments

• fireplace_rack2.JPG
    fireplace_rack2.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 294
There are a lot of people who care about these things. I'm not one, my system is a mismash of colors. Even my 7.1 speaker system is in four different woodgrain finishes.

Well, I might object if the 622 was hot pink.

I expect it will be difficult to change a 622 to black, there's a lot of plastic on these boxes. And if it is a leased receiver, you run the risk of being hit with a charge if you ever need to return it for an exchange.

One sub-optimal solution would be to use velcro and attach a black fabric to the front, cutting a hole over the LEDs. You could pull it off if you need to access the front panel.

If thats the way you want it to look, more power to you! Another thought might be a die-cut black decal across the faceplate. You could remove it fairly easily if/when you return the 622.

I will give you a thumbs up for the nice component rack! :up

Honestly though, the silver 622 wouldnt look that bad, especially being that close to the colorful DVD shelf.

Last edited:
Are you renting it or owning it?

I would love to see the look on the guy's face at E* if he got it returned in a non-factory appearance!

You could always just put the whole thing in a black HTPC case or something.

He said he has a 6000, completely black.

They should offer the option of swapping the case color, how hard could that be?

Nice rack, honest! But I hope you have sufficient venting around the receiver, with being enclosed like that. A 625 or 942 would probably die in there from overheating otherwise.

Shepherd777 said:
I don't think it's being anal at all.

Black has always been sexier. When I bought my first Nikon camera about 25 years ago, I made sure I bought the black professional F2 Photomic. Not the silver one that looked like a cheap Kodak.

I spent a ship-load of money on black components in my rack, and a silver 211 would stand out like a fart in a elevator.

I have to admit I do care about the color. However, I am giving up and putting a rack in a nearby closet, which will save me space anyway compared to my current setup. Then they can all be pink and I won't care...

I looked at your pic, and I have to be honest - I don't think it will standout that much.

How about a piece of smoked/dark glass in front of it? In a rack setup that you could screw it into the holes and it would look good... The LEDs would still be visible and even the IR remotes should work...

RobertsD said:
Uh, isn't that 811(or whatever it is) silver? A silver 622 would look fine in your setup...
Pepper said:
He said he has a 6000, completely black.

They should offer the option of swapping the case color, how hard could that be?
That's an 811 in the photo (silver/black), not a 6000.

Honestly you should go with the can of black spray paint. As long as you are careful about not getting overspray on the leds or ir input you would probably not be able to tell it had been painted. Just becareful with the spray and dont get any drips.

rthomp03 said:
That's an 811 in the photo (silver/black), not a 6000.

You should go back and read his posts...it's a 6000, not an 811. If you look closer at the picture and look at the reflection on the box, you can see it's black (i.e. 6000), and not bright silver like the 811.

Someone that has a rack that nice, they probably know which receiver they own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)