Black screen going from app to live tv on hopper +

bollis

Original poster
Feb 21, 2023
Florida
So I have looked and have not found an answer.
Have hopper 3 and hopper plus. Whenever I use an app on hopper plus, I get a black screen when going back to live tv. The only way to get the picture back is to change the channel.
SW VERSIONS H362 and P11722.
Any resolve for this issue at this time?

So I have looked and have not found an answer.
Have hopper 3 and hopper plus. Whenever I use an app on hopper plus, I get a black screen when going back to live tv. The only way to get the picture back is to change the channel.
SW VERSIONS H362 and P11722.
Any resolve for this issue at this time?
I had posted about this a week or two ago. I updated to h362 a couple days ago and it seems to be resolved now. That was driving me crazy lol, but nobody else seemed to have same issue.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My Hopper Plus if I switch to my Smart TV, sometimes, not all of the time will have a Purple Screen with lines going across the screen. It has happened to me, at least 6 times, and every time it does happen, I unplug the Hopper Plus. It always corrects the issue, but it is a pain. Try that, and see if it helps.

My Hopper Plus if I switch to my Smart TV, sometimes, not all of the time will have a Purple Screen with lines going across the screen. It has happened to me, at least 6 times, and every time it does happen, I unplug the Hopper Plus. It always corrects the issue, but it is a pain. Try that, and see if it helps.
That's an entirely different issue. The one being described here is quickly resolved by simply changing the channel and it immediately cones back on.

Nothing is Perfect, but both are an interruption to our viewing, that is provided by Dish!!!!
After reading it carefully, they both are DISH issues and while the other one is a more proven DISH issue, yours could be another issue which might or might not be related to DISH at all as when I first read when you said Smart TV, I thought you were talking about your TV's apps but then I realize you are talking about your TV. Can you provide the make and model of your Smart Tv as what I think is the Hopper+ and your Smart Tv has some handshaking issues with HDMI that is causing it, do you have the latest firmware/software on the Smart TV itself and I wonder if this only happens with the Hopper+ or also with other equipment with the same make and same model tv in general with other equipment. I also don't know if you ever tried it, but have you tried using a different certified HDMI cable to see if it makes a difference?

After reading it carefully, they both are DISH issues and while the other one is a more proven DISH issue, yours could be another issue which might or might not be related to DISH at all as when I first read when you said Smart TV, I thought you were talking about your TV's apps but then I realize you are talking about your TV. Can you provide the make and model of your Smart Tv as what I think is the Hopper+ and your Smart Tv has some handshaking issues with HDMI that is causing it, do you have the latest firmware/software on the Smart TV itself and I wonder if this only happens with the Hopper+ or also with other equipment with the same make and same model tv in general with other equipment. I also don't know if you ever tried it, but have you tried using a different certified HDMI cable to see if it makes a difference?

Samsung UN55AU8000B or 8. 55 inch

jackson85 - This is what Samsung says:

and some other things I found:
This is from post #7:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGqcXsEp3zw

This is from post #7:

I have a Soundbar, and I see that this could be one of the issues causing this.

This is from post #7:

I am hoping, that doing the Power Cycle on the Samsung TV, will correct the issue. I also, had a Sound Bar connected to the Samsung, and those links also suggested, that maybe this may have something to do with the reason why the Samsung TV would be behaving the way it has been. Again, that may not be the case with this, but I am willing to try about anything to correct the issue with the TV. I know, that Dish has worked very hard to correct the many bugs that the Hopper Plus was having at first, so I know that I can't put the blame on the add on, but look at the TV as being the reason for the hiccup or issues. Thank You, for sharing how to correct this issue with the Samsung TV.

I have a Soundbar, and I see that this could be one of the issues causing this.

I am hoping, that doing the Power Cycle on the Samsung TV, will correct the issue. I also, had a Sound Bar connected to the Samsung, and those links also suggested, that maybe this may have something to do with the reason why the Samsung TV would be behaving the way it has been. Again, that may not be the case with this, but I am willing to try about anything to correct the issue with the TV. I know, that Dish has worked very hard to correct the many bugs that the Hopper Plus was having at first, so I know that I can't put the blame on the add on, but look at the TV as being the reason for the hiccup or issues. Thank You, for sharing how to correct this issue with the Samsung TV.
Sometimes it's hard to really troubleshoot unless someone has the same exact setup as you including the Hopper+ so maybe one way to figure it out is for troubleshooting purposes, you can take the Sound Bar out of the equation and see if it makes a difference. I think one of the links said it might be the HDMI cables and you never know so one way to do that is to try a cable that actually is HDMI certified to the latest specs from a local retailer with a good return policy and see if that makes a difference or not. A Power Cycle may or may not correct the issue as sometimes you might need to do a factory reset of all the settings as it could be something in the configuration files among other things as the first thing really is to figure out why it's doing it since obviously we know by now it seems to be a Samung thing as when I first responded, you never even mentioned Samsung and it seems like purple screen with lines somehow is a well known Samsung issue. This is similar to when Sony had CRT TV's made in Mexico in the 1990s, as soon as I mentioned tuner not working, it's like everyone already knew it was a cold solder joint issue which appears to be on each and every Sony TV assembled in Mexico.

Sometimes it's hard to really troubleshoot unless someone has the same exact setup as you including the Hopper+ so maybe one way to figure it out is for troubleshooting purposes, you can take the Sound Bar out of the equation and see if it makes a difference. I think one of the links said it might be the HDMI cables and you never know so one way to do that is to try a cable that actually is HDMI certified to the latest specs from a local retailer with a good return policy and see if that makes a difference or not. A Power Cycle may or may not correct the issue as sometimes you might need to do a factory reset of all the settings as it could be something in the configuration files among other things as the first thing really is to figure out why it's doing it since obviously we know by now it seems to be a Samung thing as when I first responded, you never even mentioned Samsung and it seems like purple screen with lines somehow is a well known Samsung issue. This is similar to when Sony had CRT TV's made in Mexico in the 1990s, as soon as I mentioned tuner not working, it's like everyone already knew it was a cold solder joint issue which appears to be on each and every Sony TV assembled in Mexico.
If the power cycle and sound bar doesn't work, then the Factory Reset may be the next option, if the power cycle or the sound bar didn't correct the issue. Thanks, again.