Blackouts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

leww37334

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 30, 2005
ON 8/2/2006 I spent two hours on the phone with Directv, trying to get an answer (BTW I was disconnected 4 times, thank goodness for the redail button). Here are the basic parameters. I have HD service, MLB extra innings, and the Sports pack. I live in southern TN (my assigned " home" teams are Cincinnatti and Atlanta).

I was going to watch the Philadelphia/ST Louis game on ESPN ch 73 in HD. I tune there, I am blacked out! I try ESPN 206 I am blacked out there too. I can watch the game on 647 the FOX sports network regional sports network for ST. Louis. Since I can get the game on 647 I am obviously not being blocked by the MLB people. SO who is doing the blocking?

The answer finally provided the by Directv was as folows:

Please note that due to agreements between the RSNs and Major League Baseball, we are delivering HD feeds of games to customers who live within an RSN’s home area only. Viewers outside of an RSN’s home market who subscribe to MLB EXTRA INNINGS will receive the standard definition feeds of games in the MLB EXTRA INNINGS channels (734-749).

It looks like D* has once more gone the extra mile to be the leader in HD sports.

BTW I know what D* quislings out there are going to say, D* doesn't control blackouts. WRONG, D* negotiates these blackouts with MLB and FSN, they get cheaper rates by shafting the customer out of HD games, and then have the nerve to call themselves the HD leader.

If you are not happy with this please call D* and complain.

Last edited:
The league sets the blackout rules and zip code database used; there are some huge threads on this. If your RSN or local affiliate has the local broadcast rights ESPN and Extra Innings will be blacked-out. MLB has the dumbest and screwiest rules of all. No DBS company makes they blackout rules, they can only enforce what they are given/told.

charper1 said:
The league sets the blackout rules and zip code database used; there are some huge threads on this. If your RSN or local affiliate has the local broadcast rights ESPN and Extra Innings will be blacked-out. MLB has the dumbest and screwiest rules of all. No DBS company makes they blackout rules, they can only enforce what they are given/told.

If this is true, and D* has nothing to do with negotiating the blackout rules, then why isn't cable subject to the same rules? They aren't, I have already checked with cable companies and verified what they said with friend who have cable. D* negotiates these rules with MLB and FSN, they get what they agree to. And what they have agreed to, is to shaft the consumer.

Cable has some very old and powerful allies, they have been on the block alot longer than any DBS service.

Just ask yourself this, what would D* have to gain by implementing unnecessary blackout rules, who are the ones who gain from having blackouts?...the MLB, that's who.

Well since we live near philly and do not get a RSN I guess that means I'll never get blacked out. Well except of course for the games that are also on CSN philly.

That's no different than the nornal blackout rule, why should it be any different now? it's always been that way? It's screwed up I agreem but it's been that way even back when I had cable before DTV came out in the 80's when I recall ESPN having double headers and I lived in LOuisiana, I was in the Braves "area" and MLB had ESPN black out the Braves on their broadcats of regular season games during their firts playoff run, and my cable service did not even offer their version of the RSN, we get the old HSE which had the Astros which were also always balcked out on ESPN unless it was the "national" Sunday night game. Been the rule since forever.

There are portions of S. Tenn that are claimed by the Cards. If you live in that area, the RSN has the right to black out ESPN.

Go here and look at the zip codes for the Cards. If you are in there, then it is MLB's fault. If you are not, call DirecTV or send them an e-mail, and let them know their database is flawed.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mediacenter/index.jsp#20060808

Note: I just counted the amount of zip codes claimed by the Cards (copy/paste into Excel...)

The answer is 5170 (almost 13% of all zips in the US)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)