Bluetooth earphone lip flap

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

larrykenney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I just got a new pair of Bluetooth headphones and they work great with the Bluetooth transmission from the HWS except for one thing... the audio in the headphones is about a half second ahead of the audio coming out of the TV or the surround speakers. As a result, when listening with the headphones the video is trailing the audio a bit.

Is there any adjustment where you can delay the bluetooth audio?

Larry
SF

That may be why you should have a sealed (to your head) phones.
That or only use it when no one else watches but would be disturbed.
Never seen an adjustment but very limited experience.
-Ken

Rebooting made no difference. The audio in the headsets is still preceding the video by about a 1/2 second... just enough to make lip flap noticeable.

The audio from my TV via HDMi and from my surround system via digital audio are both in sync with the video. Only the bluetooth audio is off.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Larry
SF

I could see the earphone delaying the audio but he said it is preceding the video.
How unless the Hopper circuits are shorter for Bluetooth than normal audio?
-Ken

Why have the volume up on the stereo when you have the head phones on. I put mine on at night so I don't disturb the wife after she's gone to bed.

I've only got the one pair of Bluetooth headphones. They're Bose model AE2W. Sound quality is great.

The feed to the TV is HDMI and the audio and video are in perfect sync there. It's also fine on the digital surround system. It's only the Bluetooth audio that's off about a half second.

I use the headphones with the TV sound down, so it's not the echo that's the problem, it's the lip flap.

Larry

I have bluetooth earphones brand name Arion and can't see any difference in sound. Seem to be in perfect sync with the lips I've watched.
BTW the sound is OK but not great and range is very good but not too secure on my head and don't shut out the external noise my wife always make in the kitchen.
They are on the ear rather than over the ear.

To give you an idea why people are not sure of your issue.

The audio signal comes from the receiver and has to internally be sent to a blue-tooth transmitter. That transmitter has to then encode the data and transmit it to your bluetooth headset. Which then has to decode the signal and drive the speakers in the headset. All of those steps take time and as such usually if there is a problem it is that the audio trails the video.

That you feel your audio is ahead of the video is odd, and indicates a strange problem that is hard to explain. The only viable answer is that some video processing is occurring that is causing the video to trail the audio. That could be in the Hopper or somewhere between the HDMI output of the hopper and the visual output of your TV. Your TV isn't doing any type of video processing like edge detection or automatic contrast control or anything like that is it?

I have two bluetooth headsets (one over the ear and one in the ear). Whether I listen to the Hopper1/Surround setup or the Hopper2/TV setup, through either headset, both have an echo (delay) if the Surround or TV volume is up enough to hear it. I can not notice any audio video syncing issues with either headset, it is that close timing wise.

To give you an idea why people are not sure of your issue.

The audio signal comes from the receiver and has to internally be sent to a blue-tooth transmitter. That transmitter has to then encode the data and transmit it to your bluetooth headset. Which then has to decode the signal and drive the speakers in the headset. All of those steps take time and as such usually if there is a problem it is that the audio trails the video.

That you feel your audio is ahead of the video is odd, and indicates a strange problem that is hard to explain. The only viable answer is that some video processing is occurring that is causing the video to trail the audio. That could be in the Hopper or somewhere between the HDMI output of the hopper and the visual output of your TV. Your TV isn't doing any type of video processing like edge detection or automatic contrast control or anything like that is it?

Your comments make good sense. That's why hearing the audio before the video is so weird. I have no idea if the TV is processing the video. It's a Sony 52 inch XBR5 that's about four years old.

The old vacuum tv's had a delay line in the audio path because the video had more circuitry.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Your comments make good sense. That's why hearing the audio before the video is so weird. I have no idea if the TV is processing the video. It's a Sony 52 inch XBR5 that's about four years old.

Your tv has options like this I believe:
Detail Enhancer: Low
Edge Enhancer: High

Motion Enhancer: Standard

For an high definition source all three of those should essentially be turned off as they all are processing to improve video quality and high definition doesn't need video processing to improve anything. At least any processing a TV can do. Where those can help is on SD feeds, or on non-up-scaling DVD players.

Is your video out of the receiver going directly to the TV or does it go through a receiver or switcher first?

I would take some time with the TV remote and look through all the settings on that thing to get a sense of anything that might increase video latency.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)