Braves games on Fox Sports South/SportSouth

That does make sense. MLB can not broadcast the game in your area if FSS is. The fact that your carrier does not have it has no bearing on that fact. No different than someone in the Yankees DMA, if the game is on ESPN and being carried by the YES also, if you live where YES is your RSN ESPN can not broadcast it to you. The fact that DISH does not carry YES just like your situation has no bearing.

Asking this same question for 2015's season. I already see on Dish Gamefinder that the game tomorrow night is blacked out. Still no agreement three years later?

Asking this same question for 2015's season. I already see on Dish Gamefinder that the game tomorrow night is blacked out. Still no agreement three years later?

You are correct. 3rd year now. Just got off the phone again to complain and to get my $15 mo credit for 10mos. This is insane that it would go on this long. The bad part is its for weekend games and FoxSportsSouth has about 95% of them. Really sux as tonight is home opener.

Just like someone else posted awhile back ago, if you subscribe to MLB.TV, use a VPN like unblock-us and then you're able to watch the Braves that way. It's like $5 a month. Call Dish and ask for money off your bill.

I blame this whole thing on Dish. Charlie Ergen holds grudges. The guy is worth $20 billion dollars (look it up). He wouldn't even miss the pocket change.

Sorry I'm venting, but I've been a loyal Dish customer for 17 yrs. This Braves thing is petty nonsense.

Reactions: Mr Tony
You are correct. 3rd year now. Just got off the phone again to complain and to get my $15 mo credit for 10mos. This is insane that it would go on this long. The bad part is its for weekend games and FoxSportsSouth has about 95% of them. Really sux as tonight is home opener.
Mine was $10 for 10 months and HBO free for 3 months. I am seeing the crawl on tonights game and just for kicks I checked the online chat and there about 60 people in queue.

I have asked Mike this a few times(not to put you down Mike, just curious how it plays out overall). What are you folks going to do, if hey just say no to your request for credits over the issue... Or reduce it significantly to like $5/3

I have asked Mike this a few times(not to put you down Mike, just curious how it plays out overall). What are you folks going to do, if hey just say no to your request for credits over the issue... Or reduce it significantly to like $5/3
If it was reduced to that ($5/3) I would have cancelled right then in there. What I explained to the loyalty rep is that because I will miss 50 games, I have to subscribe to MLB.tv. If they are willing to eat the cost, which for 3 years now they have for me, I will stay. Anything less and I would leave Dish.

Whatever contracts existed two years ago must still be in place. DISH may have to just pay more when RSN's do this and then do what DirectTV does, pass on a monthly fee in that market. They may get less complaints doing that then to not carry games.

Reactions: ChadT41
It's really splitting hairs. DTV does that and absorbs some of the sports fan(Comcast, and other companies take others), where there are already customers who complain about spending money on sports channels while they are an entire non sports watching household.
I am a sports fan, and I think this was a dirty play on Fox. They signed a contract for the channel, then turned around and got more games then they originally thought they would have and are now trying to charge Dish more(and other carriers) than being big boys and eating their mistake until contract renewal comes along.
If they really wanted more money there, maybe they could offer something in return to dish customers, such as add their apps on for free to Dish subscribers, and that MIGHT justify dish agreeing to pay more. We know that is how Fox plays ball, as this has been going on for a couple years and then the FNC dispute over channels not even under negotiation. Rupert is a great businessman, but honestly his company is shady as hell. And yes, folks could say the same about Charlie. I am a fan of both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tampa8 and yomama
Whatever contracts existed two years ago must still be in place. DISH may have to just pay more when RSN's do this and then do what DirectTV does, pass on a monthly fee in that market. They may get less complaints doing that then to not carry games.

I don't believe the contracts have expired. This happened because Dish negotiated a fixed rate with one local station, and a per game rate for Fox. The Braves restructured their TV deals and removed all of the games from the local station. There was an article in the Atlanta paper that congratulated the Braves management for receiving $500 million over the term of the contracts by restructuring the TV deals. When Fox told Dish that they would have to pay more to the RSN because it now had additional games, Dish said no. They have been at a stalemate for over two years now: Fox will not allow Dish to show the games unless they pay more money than they were expecting from the contract. Dish will not pay any more than they had expected.

I don't think they should just cave in and pass along cost increases to ALL customers. I don't think the live sports business model is sustainable. The networks are bidding far more for live sports than they are actually worth. If all of the providers just pass along all demanded increases from all of the sports networks to every subscriber, they will just accelerate cord cutting. When that happens, the sports networks are not going to be able to remain in business. It is all a house of cards waiting to fall.

Reactions: Civic Minded
You are correct on the circumstances I am very aware of it there and in other markets when games get moved to an RSN. And that's why I said the contract probably has not ended yet so those games have not been renegotiated.
That doesn't change what I think however, Direct TV and others appear to be adding those games. (at a cost of course) Many times seamlessly so their subscribers don't miss any games. DISH comes off as the bad guy even though I agree with you they shouldn't cave. Problem is DISH does not simply raise prices or add a fee like Direct TV does when this happens, they simply don't add the games. (Direct TV raised their added RSN fee again this year for many) Maybe DISH has to do the same, I don't see anywhere near as many people up in arms about paying more, but I Do see people who just don't want to miss games.

I don't know which is better for DISH, for me it's better to not carry the games and delay raising prices. To me the RSN's who made the deal to carry the extra games should just eat getting less for those games until a new contract comes up.

Reactions: ChadT41
You are correct on the circumstances I am very aware of it there and in other markets when games get moved to an RSN. And that's why I said the contract probably has not ended yet so those games have not been renegotiated.
That doesn't change what I think however, Direct TV and others appear to be adding those games. (at a cost of course) Many times seamlessly so their subscribers don't miss any games. DISH comes off as the bad guy even though I agree with you they shouldn't cave. Problem is DISH does not simply raise prices or add a fee like Direct TV does when this happens, they simply don't add the games. (Direct TV raised their added RSN fee again this year for many) Maybe DISH has to do the same, I don't see anywhere near as many people up in arms about paying more, but I Do see people who just don't want to miss games.

I don't know which is better for DISH, for me it's better to not carry the games and delay raising prices. To me the RSN's who made the deal to carry the extra games should just eat getting less for those games until a new contract comes up.
That's where I Stand. Maybe at that point the teams will stop offering single contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars for 4 years... I love baseball...but come on. That is not appropriate at all. Hasn't been for a long time, and yet, it has been going on for over 15 years b

This issue is going into the third year now, so Dish has forced me to go full circle. I have not had cable tv in 12 years, but yesterday I got connected to Charter so I can watch the FSS Braves games that Dish has blacked out. All 3 weekend games are blacked out this weekend in metro Atlanta only.

To be honest the HD quality is quite good, and with all the severe weather this morning in the southeast, I did not have to endure the signal loss with Dish. Charter's equipment leaves a bit to be desired tho, but I read a new dvr is in the works.

Long term my goal is to cut the cord completely and go OTA with a Channel Master dvr+, so this will help me to ease into it, and drop Charter after baseball season since there is no contract. Its sweet that Dish gave me $20 credit a month so that will help offset getting the Braves through the summer.

This issue is going into the third year now, so Dish has forced me to go full circle. I have not had cable tv in 12 years, but yesterday I got connected to Charter so I can watch the FSS Braves games that Dish has blacked out. All 3 weekend games are blacked out this weekend in metro Atlanta only.

To be honest the HD quality is quite good, and with all the severe weather this morning in the southeast, I did not have to endure the signal loss with Dish. Charter's equipment leaves a bit to be desired tho, but I read a new dvr is in the works.

Long term my goal is to cut the cord completely and go OTA with a Channel Master dvr+, so this will help me to ease into it, and drop Charter after baseball season since there is no contract. Its sweet that Dish gave me $20 credit a month so that will help offset getting the Braves through the summer.
To the Braves fans... Has any of you contacted Fox about their shady tactics and asked why exactly a new contract has not been signed?? I like that everyone attacks Dish, when Dish is truly not in the wrong on this one.

To the Braves fans... Has any of you contacted Fox about their shady tactics and asked why exactly a new contract has not been signed?? I like that everyone attacks Dish, when Dish is truly not in the wrong on this one.
I agree. Here's my take on it....

A few years back the games currently blacked out on Dish were locally shown on Peachtree TV.

Peachtree TV went thru normal dispute with dish during these years back and people wanted Peachtree TV back for the braves games.

Fox sports then came in and bought the rights to those games. They've asked providers to pay for those games since they are no longer on a local channel, OTA, whatever.

Dish's stance on this is valid. They essentially would pay for those broadcast games twice. Would I personally pay double for braves games twice? No. Absolutely not. I pay my provider for that.

BUT! Dish has been very fair about this. In a not so formal way they've admitted to me that they would rather compensate customers than to give in to fox. If the consumer knows how to get those blackout games via mlb.TV, dish will actually compensate for that in some form or fashion. For that I am glad dish would rather give me a discount so not only can I get all the braves games on mlb.TV, but ALL MLB games now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)