Breaking news, ALL WV mines to close

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
No they did not do that after the first mine fatalities. There were three incidents today (two of them resulted in deaths if I am not mistaken) within two hours. That set it off with all of the mine closures.

guys,

gov. joe manchin ASKED the coal companies to close. he didnt order it ........yet. i did 3 installs in wv today and went thru preston, marion and monongalia counties today and the conveyers were working as of 4 pm at all the mines i passed.

Last edited:
Homepage > News
Related To Story

AP Image

MINE DISASTERS
Short Bios: Sago Miners
Timeline: Key Events
Fact Sheet: Past Mining Disasters
Updates: MSHA Web Site

More Deaths: W.Va. Gov. Halts All Coal Mining

POSTED: 6:48 pm EST February 1, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

DRAWDY, W.Va. -- Two mine workers were killed in separate accidents in West Virginia on Wednesday, prompting Gov. Joe Manchin to call on all coal companies to cease production until safety checks can be conducted.

"We're going to check for unsafe conditions, and we're going to correct any unsafe conditions before we mine another lump of coal," Manchin said.

A miner was killed at an underground mine when a wall support popped loose, said Caryn Gresham, a spokeswoman for the state Office of Miners' Health Safety and Training.

The second fatality occurred at a surface mine when a bulldozer struck a gas line, sparking a fire and killing the operator, said Dirk Filpott, a spokesman for the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration.

The deaths brought to 16 the number of mining-related fatalities in West Virginia since Jan. 2.

"West Virginia remains committed to putting the safety of every one of our miners first and foremost, far above any production that might come from that mining operation," Manchin said at a news conference.

Probably not willingly at all...We had a fatality back in Oct. It happened on Days about midday, we came on that night the employees were given the option of working or going home by one of the owners, the production superintendent and the manager of the mines ( a Chaplin and members of Safety were also present) the shift went home. My Boss and myself ( second in command) stayed and fire bossed. The next morning we were met by the Owner and the superintendent and profusely thanked... ( It was our Job but...)

Stargazer said:
I do not see those coal mine companies shutting down in their own free will.

do you have ANY idea how many operating mines are in WV??

dfergie is a western miner, ask him how long it would take to inspect EVERY mine in his state, them multiply it by 10!!

i don't see why CONSOL should have to shut down, their mines are operating safely. and CONSOL is the biggest in the world.

west virginia, western pa and eastern Kentucky has more carbon fuel in them than the mid east has times 100!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)