Broadband-in-Gas (BiG) Will Deliver all Communication Services to 18 Million Homes...

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
(cont)...by 2010 Forecasts West Technology in Their new Report

Broadband-in-Gas is a new wireless high bandwidth communications technology which enables “last mile” connection through the installed base of natural gas pipelines to homes and businesses all over the country. The BiG solution will account for nearly 25% of UWB chip sales by 2010, supplying at least 18 million homes in the US alone. Twice the bandwidth will be provided at the same installed cost as DSL.

(PRWEB) November 7, 2005 -- A major solution to the famous “last mile” connection will come through Broadband-in-gas (BiG). This new wireless ultra high bandwidth technology delivers television, phone and internet communications through the existing installed base of natural gas pipeline networks (whether metallic and/or non-metallic gas lines).

In the United States natural gas services over 70% of the residences and well over 35% of businesses. These buried pipe networks exhibit very low noise floors, and are generally devoid of outside signal interference. This low noise within the gas line network combined with its inherent isolation from the rest of the open air wireless spectrum is a significant advantage allowing BiG to maximize communication bandwidth without the cost burdens. By retasking radar technologies to make use of the isolation and low noise floor tremendous amounts of data can be transmitted through a gas line network traversing the physical complexities of the gas line.

According to Dr Kirsten West, principal analyst of West Technology Research Solutions: “BiG is a compelling application of Ultrawideband technology that will see wide adoption during the next five years. The simplicity of the physics behind the technology, combined with the use of an existing infrastructure yields a truly cost competitive option in a market filled with expensive and overly complex “last mile” delivery alternative . BiG provides a new additional revenue opportunity for natural gas delivery companies, broadband service providers, and Customer Premise Equipment (CPE) manufacturers.”

“Broadband-in-Gas Market Trends, 2005-2010” is a thorough analysis of Broadband-in-Gas technology and its impact on the broadband marketplace in general. The report tracks the formation of the BiG industry, analyzes the potential market opportunities for both service providers, CPE manufacturers, and RF component OEMs, describes initial versus long-range drivers in the market, and analyzes potential business models that are likely to be successful in the development of the BiG value chain. This report also reviews the overall state of Broadband technologies such as DSL, Cable Modem, FTTH, BPL, and WiMAX, and analyzes the contribution of individual technologies to future broadband market development. The Market Report analyzes both the Customer Premise Equipment (CPE) and Broadband Subscriber segments, and includes a detailed analysis of the technology drivers, standards and protocols, economic indicators, and a general overview of the broadband market; includes companion industry directory.

About West Technology Research Solutions
West Technology Research Solutions, LLC (d.b.a. WTRS), is a market research and consulting company focused solely on emerging wireless technologies and supporting issues. WTRS’s unique approach generates market forecasts using macro-economic methodologies that provide historically more accurate forecasts. Services include market research reports, concise market briefs, targeted monthly newsletters, and custom research and consulting.

For more information, contact West Technology Research Solutions or 650-940-1196.

Company: West Technology Research Solutions
Title: Senior Analyst
Phone: 650-940-1196

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/11/prweb307321.htm

Will this be possible in existing gas lines or will new ones be needed? Will there be a big cost like there is with the phone company to put some card to get it all setup and stuff and have to have an x amount of customers before they will launch it in your area? I am trying to get broadband in my area and Verizon says that they have fiber within 50-100 feet of my place but it dont have the card and it costs $20,000 for them to hook it up. They said that they require 200-400 customers guaranteed in the area before they will launch it. I'd like to get a T-1 line (I was told a little over $200 for one) and split the signal wirelessly among the neighborhood if I can figure out to get it done cheap enough.

I would have never thought 10 years ago, not even 5 years ago, that they would be able to do internet/phone/tv through power lines but I was wondering lately if they would start doing it through gas lines. I think I even posted that in one thread not long ago.

I dont see why it could not be done with water or sewer lines if it can be done with gas lines. What other possibilities are there?

I know that I had been wondering a while back about other ways electricity can be sent like wireless signals (wi-fi internet, satellite, cell phones) but that is a scary thought. More likely to have solar panels for that.

Whatever happened to the strato hot air balloon type of satellites they were going to launch which was going to be used for cell phones, wireless internet, and television?

100 Mbps Broadband via Natural gas pipes

It may sound nuts today, but a San Diego company called Nethercomm is developing a way to use ultra wideband wireless signals to transmit data at broadband speeds through natural-gas pipes. The company claims its technology will be able to offer 100 megabits per second to every home, which is more than enough to provide voice, video and high-speed Internet access. Needless to say, there's a big caveat here: These claims have yet to be tested. Nethercomm has no working products and has not tried the technology in the field.

"When I first heard about it, it seemed pretty outrageous," said Joe Posewick, president of EN Engineering, an engineering firm that helps natural gas companies build distribution facilities. "But the more we talked to Nethercomm and other experts in the industry, the more we realized that it could be a viable technology that could revolutionize the natural-gas industry.

So how does broadband in gas pipes work? Nethercomm is adapting ultra wideband radio transmitters and receivers to send wireless signals through the natural-gas pipe at the same time the pipe is delivering gas fuel. Ultra wideband, or UWB, is a developing communication technology that delivers very high-speed network data rates, but at higher power levels it can interfere with other wireless signals.

That's not usually a problem when ultra wideband signals are transmitted in pipes buried underground. As a result, tremendous amounts of data could be transmitted through a gas line without causing problems.

If transmitting broadband through natural-gas pipes works as Nethercomm's execs think it can, it could have a major impact on the broadband access market. A recent U.S. Supreme Court decision and changes in the Federal Communications Commission classification of DSL has made it more difficult for independent service providers to use existing cable or phone infrastructure to reach broadband customers. Via - News

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/100_mbps_broadband_via_natural_gas_pipes.php

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)