Broadband Internet for SMATV

AntAltMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
I have to add broadband internet to a 44 channel SMATV system that has 340+ passings and 280+ subs. The system architecture is that it uses ten Blonder Tongue BIDA two-way capable amplifiers and has home run connections to each distribution closet. The trunkline is .500 hardline.

The sub-band return path is completely vacant. When this system was designed, it was anticipated that the sub-band would be used to carry remotely produced programming back to the headend for reinsertion, but it was never used. The amps are being upgraded to 750Mhz to support diplexing of UHF HDTV, so I'll still have roughly 350 to 470Mhz and 700 to 750Mhz clear for downstreaming. This SMATV system is a monopoly and will remain so, as the property is too far from franchised cable for it to extend its trunkilne there, and when they tried DSL, it caused some problems with some critical life-safety equipment, so there is no DSL either.

I see that SMS has some headend equipment that can support generic modems, but they want about $7,000 for it. Does anyone know of any more affordable, comparable hardware that could meet my needs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)