Broadband Internet Over Power Line for Rural Areas

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
My daughter works at an electric coop power supply company in Texas. The company is exploring the idea of providing broadband internet over power lines to the country folks around San Angelo. Does any of fellow SatGuys members or installers have any experience with broadband over power lines for rural areas? What do you think of it?

Reactions: FTA4PA
Sounds intriguing.
Yes it does. They are getting with some other electric coop in Texas that already has it to see if they are going to do it or not. It sounds like a good idea to me for the country folks. I would think the Internet speeds should be much faster than the other present day services for rural areas.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
We were promised this when I lived in Virginia in the 90s. Other than a few co-ops doing it, I am not aware of any big deployments, but it has promise.

Reactions: charlesrshell
We were promised this when I lived in Virginia in the 90s. Other than a few co-ops doing it, I am not aware of any big deployments, but it has promise.
Yep, I think it is a good idea. My daughter is the office manager at this co-op in San Angelo. She lives out in the country and is very excited about it. I will post as I hear of any info on how goes it.

Yep, I think it is a good idea. My daughter is the office manager at this co-op in San Angelo. She lives out in the country and is very excited about it. I will post as I hear of any info on how goes it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it doesn't look hopeful:

Broadband over power lines - Wikipedia

"There have been many attempts worldwide to implement access BPL, all which have indicated that BPL is not viable as a means of delivering broadband Internet access. This is because of two problems: limited reach, and low bandwidth which do not come close to matching ADSL, Wi-Fi, and even 3G mobile. World major providers have either limited their BPL deployments to low-bandwidth connected equipment via smart grids, or ceased BPL operations altogether."

Be careful citing Wikipedia as a source- not saying this particular article is wrong, but Wikipedia is not even allowed as a source in high schools or colleges.

I could create a Wikipedia article naming myself as the President ;)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it doesn't look hopeful:

Broadband over power lines - Wikipedia

"There have been many attempts worldwide to implement access BPL, all which have indicated that BPL is not viable as a means of delivering broadband Internet access. This is because of two problems: limited reach, and low bandwidth which do not come close to matching ADSL, Wi-Fi, and even 3G mobile. World major providers have either limited their BPL deployments to low-bandwidth connected equipment via smart grids, or ceased BPL operations altogether."
You broke my heart! :(

Reactions: JSheridan
Last edited:
AirGig is the best hope now, along with LEO and MEO Internet.

Don’t throw money at the old broadband over power lines technology. That would be worse than investing in new WiMAX.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)