Building new house, need advice on a couple of issues.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
First the main question I have is about the septic system. I am putting in a 1000 gal tank and want to know the difference and advantages of a concrete vs. a metal tank. Also the difference and advantages of 6" corrugated sock pipe vs. 4". I need at least 300 feet of field line and it may be difficult to run in a solid line because of the position of my house on my lot and the restrictions on distance between property lines and fresh water supply, so if I split it between 2 150 feet sections how far apart do they need to be.

Next for the flooring we are doing a stained concrete throughout the house and are going looking order from this company http://www.kemiko.com/general_info.htm. Has anyone had any experience with this type of flooring? Does it scratch easily? What are the routine maintenance that has to be done?

Thanks for any info.

you can run any number of lins off the septic system in OHIO. Mine were 10 feet apart at the old place (city sewer here). That black pipe WILL become cloged with tree roots and fail if any tree is within 100 feet.

I would use concrete over anything else for the sumps. Only issue is salt if you have a water softner. mix a yeast vake and brown sugar in a bowl and flush down a toliet once a mounth or so to help the bacteria, unless you clean the toliets with only water and wash the clothes with water only.

I have no exp with that kind of flooring. I would think it would get damaged easily like anyother concrete, Drop a hammer hanging a picture, etc.

I have made my mine up for a concrete tank. One advantage I have is no trees were they tank and leach field is going.

One major advantage of the concrete stain is the price is really cheap. I am doing it myself and it will be well under $1000. Then if and when I get tired I can just cover over it. The floors I have seen stained look amazing.

Yes EVERYTHING you can do yourself saves money. The issue is getting a GC that will LET you do it. He is resposible for your work then. And he will more than likly want it done faster than you can do it (construstion loans have a high APR)

VIPERS-PIT said:
Yes EVERYTHING you can do yourself saves money. The issue is getting a GC that will LET you do it. He is resposible for your work then. And he will more than likly want it done faster than you can do it (construstion loans have a high APR)

Our contractor stops working when the sheet rock and cabnits are finished. We are responsible for paint, floorcovering, and some fixtures. We are saving a ton of money by doing this.

OK "sweat equality" is a good way to save on a new house if you can do the work and have the time. Good for you bro.

Here is some pics.

BTW Viper, everytime I see your avatar I cannot help but to watch over and over and it is funnier everytime.

Attachments

• Family 227.jpg
    Family 227.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Family 231.jpg
    Family 231.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Family 232.jpg
    Family 232.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Family 236.jpg
    Family 236.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Family 237.jpg
    Family 237.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Family 277.jpg
    Family 277.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Family 278.jpg
    Family 278.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Family 280.jpg
    Family 280.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Family 281.jpg
    Family 281.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 178
  • Family 283.jpg
    Family 283.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 180
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts