Businessweek: Dish Starts Falling to Earth

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Content is King. The Big Ten and Pac Ten are the most overated conferences in College Football IMO.

The South Eastern Conference is where its at. Unfortunately easy schedules make the Pac10 and Big 10 shoe ins for Nationial Championships. Id like to see Ohio State and USC and UCLA play a season in the SEC with a 10-1 record. LOL!

Dish needs to adobt the WalMart plan if they want to survive.

LOWER THE PRICES AND SELL MORE.

Enough of this nickle and dime BS.

Get rid of the DVR fees.

and get rid of the HD progrmaming fees as well. Why are we paying TWICE for the exact same programming when Dish gets the HD feeds included with the SD channels?
What about the fee for downgrading programming, I don't believe Direct does this either.

Big Ten Network is probably great for people into Big Ten sports. However it isnt a National Channel that everybody will enjoy. Thus I think that everybodys one Regional should be allocated that slot. For me, it would be FoxSportSouth.

I don't think DBS is a growth industry for any company anymore. I'm no fan of cable companies, but changing technology and trends gives them a strategic advantage over satellite- cable is a two-way street- they can provide high speed internet, phone service and interactivity that satellites will never be able to match- and these things will be ever more important in tomorrow's world. And as cable companies replace analog channels with digital they will have the capacity to match and maybe exceed anything DBS has. I see the future of DBS mainly serving those who live out in the boonies that can't get cable, and even these will be fewer and fewer as fiber replaces coax making long runs practical.

I don't think DBS is a growth industry for any company anymore. I'm no fan of cable companies, but changing technology and trends gives them a strategic advantage over satellite- cable is a two-way street- they can provide high speed internet, phone service and interactivity that satellites will never be able to match- and these things will be ever more important in tomorrow's world. And as cable companies replace analog channels with digital they will have the capacity to match and maybe exceed anything DBS has. I see the future of DBS mainly serving those who live out in the boonies that can't get cable, and even these will be fewer and fewer as fiber replaces coax making long runs practical.
I agree...I see DBS peaking this year.

What about the fee for downgrading programming, I don't believe Direct does this either.

You do pay a downgrade fee if you sub to a premium channel for less than 30 days. This is to prevent folks from adding HBO for a one-time event then dropping it the following day. Seems reasonable.

For Dish, it's 5 bucks no matter how long you've subbed. Back when I had them, I found I didn't really need the Superstations. I never dropped it because every time I thougt about it, I didn't want to pay 5 to save $4.99/month. I guess their logic works.

I agree...I see DBS peaking this year.

In many areas DBS has already "peaked". One thing that is interesting to note, if that cable customer takes the time to shop what is available from DBS VS CABLE VS TELCO'S, taking ALL applicable costs into account, they will find that DBS is still "King of the Hill" in channel choice, hardware, and service level change options. It's good to look at the "bundle prices" until you try to up grade your video choices that the bundle has locked you into. In the area that I'm familiar with, DBS enjoys the title as "KING">:):)

In many areas DBS has already "peaked". One thing that is interesting to note, if that cable customer takes the time to shop what is available from DBS VS CABLE VS TELCO'S, taking ALL applicable costs into account, they will find that DBS is still "King of the Hill" in channel choice, hardware, and service level change options. It's good to look at the "bundle prices" until you try to up grade your video choices that the bundle has locked you into. In the area that I'm familiar with, DBS enjoys the title as "KING">:):)
In my case, FiOS HD picture quality is the "cat's meow" and their Triple Play bundle was hard to beat. Of course, once the FiOS promotional prices is over, they had better be ready to offer up some other discounts or their overpriced landline will be replaced by VOIP, and their TV prices may no longer be a good value. You gotta love competition!

DBS is still a great choice for many. I love the satellites and would still have Dish Network if they would only improve their HD PQ.

OK, I have finally seen the new Turbo HD commercials and I personally don't see what E* is doing to stop 68.5 customers from leaving each day. The marketings and promotions just aren't as good as their competitors IMO.

You don't sub to Dish! From the amount of posts you have in the Dish section, I would have thought you were a sub.:rolleyes:
Yep, and you don't like VOOM...but that doesn't stop you from discussing it day and night; 21 of your last 25 posts have been about VOOM.;)

In any case, I left E* back in March since I could no longer deal with HD-Lite - 2 years was enough. Overall, we loved the HD DVR (622) and were generally pretty happy with the service. It's a shame...and it's one of the many reasons Dish Network is an industry laggard these days.

Also, I decided to sell my Star Choice dish/receive when we moved a few months ago so I am currenly satellite less. As much as we love FiOS TV (PQ is outstanding)...I must admit it's not nearly as much fun as the satellites, and their HD DVR is only so-so. Other than fellowship and the fact I know a lot of members, there's really no other reason for me come to SatelliteGuys these days since the Cable/FiOS/HDTV forums are so quiet.

Hopefully my posts are somewhat constructive and Dish Network with the use this information and provide me with a reason to become a return customer...our 3 622s are still waiting in the closet.

I don't think I have ever seen a Dish Network commercial or ad that would entice me to subscribe. Their ads have always been terrible!

An independent installer who did both Dish and DirecTV actually persuaded me to install Dish instead (I'd never heard of Dish)--I'm guessing some promo for him at the time? In any case I've been happy with the service and my pvr/dvrs--except for the rising prices. I will never go back to cable, but at some point I will have to pursue other options if prices continue to rise and my paycheck doesn't.

And I barely know what package I have now (way, way too confusing) let alone what all the channels are!

...........Hopefully my posts are somewhat constructive and Dish Network with the use this information and provide me with a reason to become a return customer...our 3 622s are still waiting in the closet.

I doubt Dish will listen to anything you would have to say given the history of your posts. When all the sats are up and all the channels including HD are piped down in full rez, I suspect you will come crawling back with your tail between yor legs :D

After that happens then there will be something else to complain about.

- DirecTV's marketing is killing E*! Heck, D* even managed to grow their HD customers with only a handful of HD channels, while E* had almost 40 post VOOM DBS.

I'm a former D* customer that just jumped ship to E* for the TurboHD Gold package and a solid performing 722.

:hungry: for more HD, but very pleased. I imagine that there are many more that may be doing this for TurboHD that don't post here. It'll be intersting to see falls or next springs report.

Yep, and you don't like VOOM...but that doesn't stop you from discussing it day and night; 21 of your last 25 posts have been about VOOM.;)

In any case, I left E* back in March since I could no longer deal with HD-Lite - 2 years was enough. Overall, we loved the HD DVR (622) and were generally pretty happy with the service. It's a shame...and it's one of the many reasons Dish Network is an industry laggard these days.

Also, I decided to sell my Star Choice dish/receive when we moved a few months ago so I am currenly satellite less. As much as we love FiOS TV (PQ is outstanding)...I must admit it's not nearly as much fun as the satellites, and their HD DVR is only so-so. Other than fellowship and the fact I know a lot of members, there's really no other reason for me come to SatelliteGuys these days since the Cable/FiOS/HDTV forums are so quiet.

Hopefully my posts are somewhat constructive and Dish Network with the use this information and provide me with a reason to become a return customer...our 3 622s are still waiting in the closet.

You realize I was joking. Don't you? Actually most of your posts are constructive well somewhat constructive as you put it. It is just that everything you post has a negative slant to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)